Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone!

Iam new to this forum and i first want to say what a great idea to have a place where acne suffers can go and share there views and experiences of having acne with each other,i wish the net was around when i was a teenager in the early 90's when i first got acne.

Well i will tell you abit about myself first,my name is brad,iam 28,have dark hair,blue eyes,5ft8ins,thin/slim built and sadly have ACNE!!!!!! u my have already guessed :D

Well i want to share my experience of this disease and how it has screwed up my life (or in large part helped to screw up my life) since i was about 13.

I remember my first year at high school,I was full of confidence and had an outgoing personality,i was able to stick up for myself,make friends and tho i didnt have a girlfriend yet it was clear that many girls found me attractive,i even got voted best looking guy in my class to my embrassment :D.

But sadly this was all to end, near the end of my first year at high school spots began to appear on my face.

"your getting spotty" said a girl in my class.

I laughed and shruged it off,after all it was just a few spots they would soon go away i thought.

But ofcourse they didnt go away,in fact they got worse and before long the whole of my face,neck,shoulders and back where covered in acne.

I tried the usual treatments from acne lotions to good old fashion soap and water,but nothing made any difference.

So the living hell of being a teenager at high school with severe acne began!!!

I have to say my thoughts of this period in my life is rather bitter and full of anger, so i apologise if i lose my temper when writing this.

Well thats begin with how my personality transformed from a confidence,happy,outgoing and optimistic person to a shy,depressed,insecure,timid,pessimistic,self-conscious,loner.I lost any friends i had,the girls thought i was ugly and most of all i loathed myself to total despair.

I would walk around the school at break time with my head down and try to avoid people if i could, it seemed the pupils at my school delighted in reminding me at every given opportunity how awful i looked (like some how i hadnt notice). Bastards!!!!!!!! there comments were like knifes piercing my heart :cry:

I hated high school so much and was glad to leave when i was old enough to.

After the hell of high school i lost all faith in people and society in general and shut myself away in my room and hardly ever went out.

At first it was good not being mocked or belittle because of my appearence, but when months turn into years and your whole world was just four walls plus an occasion conversion with your family,it wasnt long before i developed bad depression and other worrying mental problems.

Yes Ofcourse not leaving the house by itself is rather worrying to most people true,but i started to collect knifes in my room (at the time i didnt know why excately).Well i began to have violent mood swings and threatened my parents with violence, i also started to self-harm with the knifes i had in my room (cuting my arms)but never deep enough to cause any real damage or scaring tho.It began to be clear to everyone i needed help fast,i was losing my mind and if nothing was done something bad was going to happen.

I ended up with a psychologist and i was put on medication for my depression and mood disorder.

I also got a mental health worker,who works with me to over come the mental disorders i have.

I know u could say that my acne and high school experience was not to blame for me developing these problems,But i know in my heart if things had been different and i didnt get acne, things would have turn out better and these mental health problems i have would not be an issue in my life today.

So iam 28 years of age now

iam lonley,sad and depressed

My acne continues to this very day (with only a partial improvement over the years)

My whole life has been ruined and i have nothing to look forward to.

Well thats all i have to say

i know its rather depressing,but it helps to share my pain with u all.

thanks for reading this and maybe we will chat sometime about having acne and its emotional effects.

bye

I hear your pain. I'm 28 and still got acne too. It's a painful experience that people without it find it hard to understand. There's lots of support on these boards as well as understanding. Use it.

And why haven't those doctors put you on accutane?

hugs

Hi everyone!

Iam new to this forum and i first want to say what a great idea to have a place where acne suffers can go and share there views and experiences of having acne with each other,i wish the net was around when i was a teenager in the early 90's when i first got acne.

Well i will tell you abit about myself first,my name is brad,iam 28,have dark hair,blue eyes,5ft8ins,thin/slim built and sadly have ACNE!!!!!! u my have already guessed :D

Well i want to share my experience of this disease and how it has screwed up my life (or in large part helped to screw up my life) since i was about 13.

I remember my first year at high school,I was full of confidence and had an outgoing personality,i was able to stick up for myself,make friends and tho i didnt have a girlfriend yet it was clear that many girls found me attractive,i even got voted best looking guy in my class to my embrassment :D.

But sadly this was all to end, near the end of my first year at high school spots began to appear on my face.

"your getting spotty" said a girl in my class.

I laughed and shruged it off,after all it was just a few spots they would soon go away i thought.

But ofcourse they didnt go away,in fact they got worse and before long the whole of my face,neck,shoulders and back where covered in acne.

I tried the usual treatments from acne lotions to good old fashion soap and water,but nothing made any difference.

So the living hell of being a teenager at high school with severe acne began!!!

I have to say my thoughts of this period in my life is rather bitter and full of anger, so i apologise if i lose my temper when writing this.

Well thats begin with how my personality transformed from a confidence,happy,outgoing and optimistic person to a shy,depressed,insecure,timid,pessimistic,self-conscious,loner.I lost any friends i had,the girls thought i was ugly and most of all i loathed myself to total despair.

I would walk around the school at break time with my head down and try to avoid people if i could, it seemed the pupils at my school delighted in reminding me at every given opportunity how awful i looked (like some how i hadnt notice). Bastards!!!!!!!! there comments were like knifes piercing my heart :cry:

I hated high school so much and was glad to leave when i was old enough to.

After the hell of high school i lost all faith in people and society in general and shut myself away in my room and hardly ever went out.

At first it was good not being mocked or belittle because of my appearence, but when months turn into years and your whole world was just four walls plus an occasion conversion with your family,it wasnt long before i developed bad depression and other worrying mental problems.

Yes Ofcourse not leaving the house by itself is rather worrying to most people true,but i started to collect knifes in my room (at the time i didnt know why excately).Well i began to have violent mood swings and threatened my parents with violence, i also started to self-harm with the knifes i had in my room (cuting my arms)but never deep enough to cause any real damage or scaring tho.It began to be clear to everyone i needed help fast,i was losing my mind and if nothing was done something bad was going to happen.

I ended up with a psychologist and i was put on medication for my depression and mood disorder.

I also got a mental health worker,who works with me to over come the mental disorders i have.

I know u could say that my acne and high school experience was not to blame for me developing these problems,But i know in my heart if things had been different and i didnt get acne, things would have turn out better and these mental health problems i have would not be an issue in my life today.

So iam 28 years of age now

iam lonley,sad and depressed

My acne continues to this very day (with only a partial improvement over the years)

My whole life has been ruined and i have nothing to look forward to.

Well thats all i have to say

i know its rather depressing,but it helps to share my pain with u all.

thanks for reading this and maybe we will chat sometime about having acne and its emotional effects.

bye

Please try and get accutane :) And start living your life. I REALLY know how you feel though... except I got acne after high school... I'm a girl so it sucks that all of a sudden I was dealing with covering up spots at the age of 19 when I thought I was supposed to have grown out of acne. My personality changed as well, I used to be outgoing and fun, but now I am quiet and usually stay home. It realy sucks cause I used to have alot of fun. We all get depressed about acne here... I think about my face every minute of the day... it's not fun. We can help eachother get through it though... we are all here to help eachother and to disover things that will work to get rid of our acne. Look around... maybe you will find something that will work for you. Sometimes I really wish alot of us (on this site) could get together and hang out, we all suffer for the same reason and it would feel so good to have that in common with everyone around you. I think it is so cruel how some people comment on people's acne... but it is just ignorance on their part... it DOES hurt though and it's hard to deal with sometimes... keep your head up though... WE'RE in this together :)

i feel for you dude, i used to have bad acne, but i cant relate to people making you feel miserable like that. i guess im lucky but evan at my peek of acne i have honestly never had one negative remark made about it. of course people have offered there "suggestions" to me. but i agree with everyone else thats posted on this thread, you should really go see a derm

yes, go for accutane, please, don't wait any longer in case you haven't tried it yet. all the side effects you could possibly have aren't any worse than what your life seems to be rightnow anyway.

I can relate to a lot of what you said, although I'm 19 and got tane a year ago. so I haven't had time to develop my personality and life to the worst for as long as you did.

but 28, I mean even I with my 19 years feel as though I have lost a lot of good times during the previous years and I don't know how I'd deal with it if I was 28.

maybe you tried accutane like 3 times and everything else on this planet but if you haven't it's high time to do so, accutane really works! I know there are people that need a second/third/forth course so obviously it doesn't work the same with everyone, but the chance is pretty high that it will help you a lot.

you know I still get that moment where I want to bang my head against some wall because I came upon tane "so late" and when I hear a story like this I just don't see why this has to happen.

tell us what you've tried so far to fight acne if any? :think:

Hey, I really found similar things with my life in your story. I had lot of success with girls but after a very big breakout leaving scars i now kinda hide from women. Acne really ruins your confidence. I can't help you but I just want you to know youre not the only one with this problem...

Your experience with acne sounds somewhat similar to mine...Like you, before I got acne I was a confident, optimistic, out-going person. :D Then I started getting some mild breakouts at 17 which I thought would just go away if I washed my face and took care of my skin. Instead of getting better it just got worse and then I got hit with full blown cystic acne. :shock: Although it cleared up eventually, it left with me with lots of physical and emotional scarring. Now I am almost 26 and still deal with acne on top of the scars from past breakouts. :cry: It has completely changed my personality from what it used to be.

Dealing with this for almost a decade has beaten me down emotionally and almost completely destroyed my self-esteem. I have days where I feel like my skin looks "ok" and I can go out and live my life a little bit. But then I have those days where I'm having a bad breakout and then I start feeling hopeless that my skin will ever get better :cry: . On those days it takes every ounce of strength for me to get out of bed in the morning and face the day. I have to fight the urge to lock myself in my room for days trying to sleep my life away. Like you, I also turned to things like self-mutilation when I was younger to deal with the constant emotional pain. Going to school was hell of course, especially high school where everyone is so judgemental and you feel like a target for looking like a "deformed freak," at least that's how I felt.

I'm really glad you shared your story on the board because you are helping give support to others who have experienced the same pain that you have. I know that helps me when I feel like my life is pointless. I think maybe some of my posts have helped other people on here and that makes me feel better. I just try to keep going and not give up hope that one day things will be better.