Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Proximity

The CSR & Self-Tanners

Ok, so I'm a very pale guy and lately I've been considering on getting some tan (especially on my face).

I can't tan on the sun, because the sun breaks me out. And I never get any color from playing sports outside or other outdoor activities since I always use a SPF 30 sunscreen.

So the only other option I see is using Self-Tanners. I've actually researched on this and found out that the Coppertone Oil-Free Sunless Tanner is completely non-comedogenic and free of streaking (I'm basing this on hundreds of reviews).

I'm planning on using it, but since I'm on the CSR and flaking all over, I don't know if this is the best idea. As far as I know you need to have well hydrated and non-flaky skin to use self-tanning products because otherwise it doesn't tan you evenly.

And even if I will use it, when do you think is the best time? Between washing and BP or after moisturising or between BP & moisturising?

I have used Neutrogena's Micro Mist sunless tanner. It's light, non-comedogenic, covers evenly, and gives a great colour.

With the CSR, I spray it into my hands with my moisturizer. You can spray it directly onto your body.

I'm not using it now because I'm enjoying being a pasty white guy.

Cam >B)

Sunscreen vs. Sunblock

While most people lump sunscreen and sunblock together, they are actually very different products intended for different uses.

Sunscreen is a cream or lotion that is SPF rated. It reacts with the skin to create an invisible barrier against the sun. The strength of the barrier is determined by the SPF number. The lower the number the less protection. Most sunscreens should be applied 20 minutes before you go outside so that it has time to work. Using a sunscreen will not prevent you from tanning but it will lower your risk of getting burned.

Sunblock doesn't have a SPF because it protects the body from all UV rays. Usually, sunblock is a thick cream that should contain zinc oxide (this is the white gunk that you sometimes see people put on their noses - it's funny looking, but it's strong). Okay here's where it gets tricky. Some sunscreens with SPF numbers of 15 or higher are erroneously refereed to as sunblocks. If you want a sunblock, don't buy a package with a SPF listed because a true sunblock won't need it.