Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vallartagal

Liver Can't handle Accutane - What Else Works?

[attachmentid=5942][attachmentid=5939]

HELP! -

My 16 yr. old son has severe acne on his face, neck, back and chest. His dermatologist put him on Accutane, but the lab tests showed his liver can't take it and we have to stop after just two months.

The Accutane gave him excellent results: His back acne almost cleared up completely and his face was 40% better. Proactive didn't do anything for him - nothing else worked. Now we're back where we started.

I've looked on the net and found ZenMed, AcmEase, and Actimine as natural alternatives that his liver can handle.

Can anyone make any suggestions or comments on these and/or other treatments? I've attached a photo of his back acne so you can see how difficult the situation is.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

post-43897-1158165762_thumb.jpg

post-43897-1158165762_thumb.jpg

I'd say go for B5. I've only used it for a couple of weeks yet, still it has already cleared all my acne on the back and my face is coming along just fine too. I might add that I've had acne for about 5 years now, gradually getting worser. I'm 20 now and before trying b5 my face and back was at total war. luckily not cystic though. I'm quite positive B5 should do the trick no matter however.

HELP! -

My 16 yr. old son has severe acne on his face, neck, back and chest. His dermatologist put him on Accutane, but the lab tests showed his liver can't take it and we have to stop after just two months.

The Accutane gave him excellent results: His back acne almost cleared up completely and his face was 40% better. Proactive didn't do anything for him - nothing else worked. Now we're back where we started.

I've looked on the net and found ZenMed, AcmEase, and Actimine as natural alternatives that his liver can handle.

Can anyone make any suggestions or comments on these and/or other treatments? I've attached a photo of his back acne so you can see how difficult the situation is.

I'm sorry that your son had to go through that...I know that must be so hard...to see something working, but then having to stop!!

Has he tried those Blue-E light treatments? I guess he could also try chemical peels....But also, though I haven't tried the B-5, I've read about the great results from a couple of folks on this board, so it can't hurt to look into it...

I wish him all the best, and glad he has such a supportive Mom..... :)

HELP! -

As a health care professional, my first advice would be to get a second opinion. My advice that follows could be totally worthless because I have no idea the background of your dermatologist or what the lab results are. But, sometimes physician, especially those with relatively low experience with the med or certain philosophical bents freak out over lab results and stop the med when some other alternatives might work. There are two dermatologists I've worked with lately. One is very, very reticent to use accutane and is super conservative about it. She is slow to use it and quick to stop it. The other is much more willing to use it and explore options if labs begin to change. Two things he does are: be patient because he knows that usually the labs stabilize at a high value, but not extremely or dangerously high. And they drop to normal very quickly after ending the med. So the time spent with abnormal values is low and the abnormal values are often not extremely elevated.

The other option he uses is to reduce the dosage. Some dermatologists really feel that one must dose at 1 mg/kg/day for 4 months because they learned that it seems to be most effective. Recent studies show that a cumulative dose of 125 - 150 mg/kg maximizes long term effectiveness, regardless of the daily dose or length of therapy. So, .5 mg/kg/day for 8 months is jsut as effective. The reason many look at 1mg/kg/day for 4 months is that happens to equal the cumulative dose and they look at that as the standard without realizing it's the cumulative dosage that is doing it.

Being that side effects of accutane (including blood values) are dosage dependent, the lower daily dose has a good chance of mitigating or eliminating the abnormal liver test. Very good chance of getting it to normal or just barely above normal.

Anyway, like I said, this may not even apply to your son's case, but I'd at least consider that. Good luck to him.

If he's trying antibiotics and topicals, be sure to remember and remind him that most are effective only after 4-8 weeks ( I use 6 as a benchmark) of religious use.

i have to agree with the above poster. some doctors are just more conservative than others. the main side-effect of accutane is high cholesterol. mine has gone up to 230 last time i was at the derm (24yo female). nevertheless, in a young healthy individual, high cholesterol for 6 months isn't going to kill him.

and the effects on the liver are dose dependent. why not just lower the dose?

obviously, if liver enzymes were showing up in your son's bloodwork, that is entirely a different story (shows damage to the liver = BAD).

do you know why he was pulled from accutane?

Not accutane again...all I can say is: AT YOUR OWN RISK!

p.s: Vallartagal, I do not recommed it. If your son has a frail liver, the accutane will just make it frailer. I've been on the drug, I know.

I recommend a less risky approach:

1. A change in diet: Lots of fruits & veggies...KILL off the bad foods.

2. Some topical creams if desired.

3. Some good soap.

4. TIME & PATIENCE

HELP! -

As a health care professional, my first advice would be to get a second opinion. My advice that follows could be totally worthless because I have no idea the background of your dermatologist or what the lab results are. But, sometimes physician, especially those with relatively low experience with the med or certain philosophical bents freak out over lab results and stop the med when some other alternatives might work. There are two dermatologists I've worked with lately. One is very, very reticent to use accutane and is super conservative about it. She is slow to use it and quick to stop it. The other is much more willing to use it and explore options if labs begin to change. Two things he does are: be patient because he knows that usually the labs stabilize at a high value, but not extremely or dangerously high. And they drop to normal very quickly after ending the med. So the time spent with abnormal values is low and the abnormal values are often not extremely elevated.

The other option he uses is to reduce the dosage. Some dermatologists really feel that one must dose at 1 mg/kg/day for 4 months because they learned that it seems to be most effective. Recent studies show that a cumulative dose of 125 - 150 mg/kg maximizes long term effectiveness, regardless of the daily dose or length of therapy. So, .5 mg/kg/day for 8 months is jsut as effective. The reason many look at 1mg/kg/day for 4 months is that happens to equal the cumulative dose and they look at that as the standard without realizing it's the cumulative dosage that is doing it.

Being that side effects of accutane (including blood values) are dosage dependent, the lower daily dose has a good chance of mitigating or eliminating the abnormal liver test. Very good chance of getting it to normal or just barely above normal.

Anyway, like I said, this may not even apply to your son's case, but I'd at least consider that. Good luck to him.

If he's trying antibiotics and topicals, be sure to remember and remind him that most are effective only after 4-8 weeks ( I use 6 as a benchmark) of religious use.

Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough. However, my son's liver enzymes went up out of the norms very quickly in the first month. We lowered the dosage to the minimum, and three weeks later everything went up even more drastically. Nothing else had worked, and the doctor was reticent to take Danny off the meds since his acne is so severe, but his reactions were really marked.

She (the dermatologist) is very well known and has treated 700 patients now with Accutane and has detailed records of it all. Her own mimi-study. Unfortunately I concurr with her decision.

We're still not sure what we're going to do for his acne now. That's what brought me to this site. I'm lookin gfor alternatives.

Thanks again.

try vitamin b5 or pantothenic acid. 10gms. it almost cleared me 100%. Also, he probably needs to cleanse his body of toxins. Colonics, and no dairy and hormone free meat. I would recommend in addition going to a naturopath. I did all of this and used to have cystic acne on face and back. Also, acupuncture for hormonal balancing. Good luck.

I would reccomend B5 (usually called Pantothenic Acid) aswell. When I took it, it seemed to do nothing for my face, but my body cleared 100%. When I stopped taking it, it came back. I think I took 10g per day...It's like 20 pills per day, so it sucks because they were rather large pills, but I was only doing it for like 2 or 3 months and it was 100% clear.

I did notice though that after I was off it, ever since, my skin has been a bit drier than it was before I took it. Nothing major, but I'd be careful...Maybe try 5g or something, I don't know...Sucks that his liver couldn't take the 'tane. :(

HELP! -

Has your son been on antibiotics for a while? I was on antibiotics for 3 or 4 years until earlier this summer. I mentioned to the dermotologist that my face was doing fairlywell, but my back acne did not ever get better, in fact it got worse. He did a scraping of the lesions and analysed them and said they were likely caused by a yeast type of thing due to being on antibiotics for so long. He prescribed a medication for that. Instead, I went of the antibiotcs and started a course of generic accutane. Within about 5 weeks my back pretty much cleared up. I think it was because I quit the antibiotics more than the accutane. You might at least ask the doctor if it could be another condition that might be yeast caused by long term antibiotic use. from what you wrote, it sounds like this doc is well qualified and probably nothing I'm saying is appropriate, but it's worth a thought. Good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough. However, my son's liver enzymes went up out of the norms very quickly in the first month. We lowered the dosage to the minimum, and three weeks later everything went up even more drastically. Nothing else had worked, and the doctor was reticent to take Danny off the meds since his acne is so severe, but his reactions were really marked.

She (the dermatologist) is very well known and has treated 700 patients now with Accutane and has detailed records of it all. Her own mimi-study. Unfortunately I concurr with her decision.

We're still not sure what we're going to do for his acne now. That's what brought me to this site. I'm lookin gfor alternatives.

Thanks again.

After Pic show This is what I suggest!! Highly recommended:

1. IMPORTANT to do colon cleanse for 5 or 10 days everyday (enema)

2. Liver Cleanse (liver flush)

3. Blood Cleaning

It would work 100% Also a day eat garlic + take Probiotic 1 capsule a day : EFA for balance hormone !! No junk FOod if you have more question ask or pm...

3. Blood Cleaning

It would work 100% Also a day eat garlic + take Probiotic 1 capsule a day : EFA for balance hormone !! No junk FOod if you have more question ask or pm...

Please show us some controlled studies that demonstrate the effecacy of the treatments you recommend. This sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me and does absolutely nothing to help the guy with his problem.

3. Blood Cleaning

Please show us some controlled studies that demonstrate the effecacy of the treatments you recommend. This sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me and does absolutely nothing to help the guy with his problem.

The benefits of diet / cleansing on acne is very much a hotly debated issue, especially on the diet/holistic forum. However, in the absence of being able to take other treatments, it seems to me that there is no harm in at least trying it (although I wouldn't necessarily recommend the regime above) - it certainly wont make his acne worse. The three foods that usually get dumped in any acne diet are diary, wheat and refined sugar. I would also try the B5 route - but note that there are possible side effects of taking such large amounts.

3. Blood Cleaning

The benefits of diet / cleansing on acne is very much a hotly debated issue, especially on the diet/holistic forum. However, in the absence of being able to take other treatments, it seems to me that there is no harm in at least trying it (although I wouldn't necessarily recommend the regime above) - it certainly wont make his acne worse. The three foods that usually get dumped in any acne diet are diary, wheat and refined sugar. I would also try the B5 route - but note that there are possible side effects of taking such large amounts.

So you are seriosly recommending daily enemas for 5-10 days? Do you know anything about the possible metabolic ill-effects of enemas? And what the heck do you mean by "liver cleanse" and "blood cleaning"? Sounds like ignorant new age mumbo jumbo to me, with out any basis in clinical study. Plus you say "It would work 100%" That is just crazy, and like I said, you are not contributing anything helpful to the guy's problem, instead you are misleading him, possibly harmfully.

So you are seriosly recommending daily enemas for 5-10 days?

I think there is some confusion here that I need to clarify. I am not recommending Melfice 2K's approach - as you point out, I do not know what he means by some of it. I was actually responding to YOUR comment rather than his.

There is no one size fits all diet / holistic approach when it comes to treating acne. My view is that the OP should take a look at the diet/holistic forum to get some ideas about how the people there are approaching their acne treatment away from conventional medications which to date have not helped the OP's son. There are many different, sometimes conflicting approaches there, some whackier than others. But it is definately worth a look because there are people there who claim to have controlled their acne in this way. I would pay particular attention to posts made by SweetJade, Rubber Sheep (aka R.S.) and Danny. Each of these posters is often able to provide links to studies that talk to the possible connection of diet to acne. Of course, you will never be able to prove the link because the area is so complex.

And what the heck do you mean by "liver cleanse" and "blood cleaning"? Sounds like ignorant new age mumbo jumbo to me, with out any basis in clinical study.

Please see the diet/holistic forum for more info on liver cleanses. Just because you have never heard of it does not make it mumbo jumbo to dismissed out of hand. You will need to refer to Melfice re the blood cleaning.

Plus you say "It would work 100%"

Again - refer to Melfice. I never said that.

In summary I would say this. I am not a great advocate of the diet/acne link. I tried controlling my acne through diet and was unsuccessful. When it failed, I went on to try Accutane which has so far been successful for me. That said, that does not mean that diet may not be successful for some people and some people on the diet/holistic claim to have success with this approach. Now I wouldn't normally recommend this straight out of the gate for some with severe acne (and body acne is generally considered to be severe). However, if conventional medication is not working I am not sure what other choices there really are other than a lifelong supply of antibiotics which in my view will in the long term make things worse rather than better. I have also suggested B5. It is in these circumstances that I am saying that the diet/holistic approach is worth a try and should at the very least not make things any worse.

HELP! -

The simple fact that your son's liver can't handle a low dose of a vitamin-a derivative would suggest he has more important problems than acne. His liver is obviously in terrible shape, and could use a break. The liver plays an enormous role in the quality of your skin. In your son's case, I would be first looking to improve his internal health first and foremost...use acne as the incentive. (remember, acne is an external symptom of an internal problem) It took acne for me to have the interest in learning about diet, nutrition, and internal health. And I thought I was healthy before.

As for anything topical, I have had great results (on body) with Head and Shoulders classic. This is a popular thread in the body acne board.

My heart goes out to your son. No matter what, it is going to be a long process for him to rid his body of this disease. The most important thing you can do for him is to give him all the support he needs when he needs it, and let his disgust and hatred of his skin be his driving force for a big change in his lifestyle. Don't let him pick his skin too much, and there really are no easy fixes.

How is his diet/lifestyle?

-Eric James

Well this is how I get rid of acne from my body and it is recommmend me another person who suffered and same worked for her. About 5-10 day enema.. Well it is depends how is person sitiuation of colon. You can clean up for 3 day enema also..

So it is better to do by Pro.Doc that can tell you there no need to do more enema cuz it is clean.

Liver Cleanse I mean liver flush..

Blood cleanse is possible to do many methods By herbals , or in hospital etc.. Becouse if body is infected especially colon than blood situation is also same. So if colon cleaned than blood would still poisined... Sorry guys my english sux but I did this method. In hospital for blood cleanse: they took my blood from my hand and same blood put to my ass ... Sound bit stupit ...

Finnaly acne is not external problem but internal and your body message you problem by your skin. (since skin is big ogran of our body) So acne can couse many reason ... One of I belive is:

Indigestion -> Growth of unfriendly bacteria in your digestive track -> Increase in toxicity that overloads your liver and kidneys -> ACNE ::::

PS: I also like this ebook and recommend everyone read this:

http://www.natural-acne-solution.com/books...ne_solution.pdf

That's all..

3. Blood Cleaning

So you are seriosly recommending daily enemas for 5-10 days?

I think there is some confusion here that I need to clarify. I am not recommending Melfice 2K's approach - as you point out, I do not know what he means by some of it. I was actually responding to YOUR comment rather than his.

There is no one size fits all diet / holistic approach when it comes to treating acne. My view is that the OP should take a look at the diet/holistic forum to get some ideas about how the people there are approaching their acne treatment away from conventional medications which to date have not helped the OP's son. There are many different, sometimes conflicting approaches there, some whackier than others. But it is definately worth a look because there are people there who claim to have controlled their acne in this way. I would pay particular attention to posts made by SweetJade, Rubber Sheep (aka R.S.) and Danny. Each of these posters is often able to provide links to studies that talk to the possible connection of diet to acne. Of course, you will never be able to prove the link because the area is so complex.

And what the heck do you mean by "liver cleanse" and "blood cleaning"? Sounds like ignorant new age mumbo jumbo to me, with out any basis in clinical study.

Please see the diet/holistic forum for more info on liver cleanses. Just because you have never heard of it does not make it mumbo jumbo to dismissed out of hand. You will need to refer to Melfice re the blood cleaning.

Plus you say "It would work 100%"

Again - refer to Melfice. I never said that.

In summary I would say this. I am not a great advocate of the diet/acne link. I tried controlling my acne through diet and was unsuccessful. When it failed, I went on to try Accutane which has so far been successful for me. That said, that does not mean that diet may not be successful for some people and some people on the diet/holistic claim to have success with this approach. Now I wouldn't normally recommend this straight out of the gate for some with severe acne (and body acne is generally considered to be severe). However, if conventional medication is not working I am not sure what other choices there really are other than a lifelong supply of antibiotics which in my view will in the long term make things worse rather than better. I have also suggested B5. It is in these circumstances that I am saying that the diet/holistic approach is worth a try and should at the very least not make things any worse.

Sorry I jumped on you. What you've written above is entirely reasonable and I agree with your recommendation that the original poster look into it. I remain skeptical - but not of what you've written.

many months ago (that was early this year), i tried wai's diet for two weeks and it greatly improved my body acne (chest and back, but it did very minimal improvement to almost nothing to my face). i only ate fresh fruits, fresh veggie salads, fresh shelled nuts, raw egg yolks, tuna sashimi. i stopped when i had to live with my grandma and couldnt afford it financially (and psychologically) anymore. after that my cravings for processed & tasty foods worsened bigtime. i admit im still struggling with it right now.

now im on isotret (A.K.A. accutane) and i still have tiny bumps on my back. they've probably dried out and are just stuck but im not so happy with it.

as for the topical treatment, a few days ago, somebody posted a link to ACNEwise and i've read that ketaconazole is good for backacne and so i started washing my back with nizoral (the one for regular treatment). i'll let you know how it goes after a few days. the only thing is, i've also started taking supplements (see signature) last week so that might confuse which one's working harder for my skin.