Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JeNNa86

I just went to my derm today

I went to my derm today to get a mole checked and he commented on my face. I told him about the CSR and how I just started that and he said he definitely thinks I need to try an oral antibiotic (minocycline sp?) and wants me to do a tretonion (sp?) cream at night to help the skin thats damaged move out faster. I really could use some advice. I am so torn between the two and I am just emotionally drained for acne :( I want what will be best. Should I take the oral antibiotic while doing the csr or add in tretenoin cram at night etc? Please help!!!

I went to my derm today to get a mole checked and he commented on my face. I told him about the CSR and how I just started that and he said he definitely thinks I need to try an oral antibiotic (minocycline sp?) and wants me to do a tretonion (sp?) cream at night to help the skin thats damaged move out faster. I really could use some advice. I am so torn between the two and I am just emotionally drained for acne :( I want what will be best. Should I take the oral antibiotic while doing the csr or add in tretenoin cram at night etc? Please help!!!

From what it reads in your sig, you have been doing the regimen for only 5 days. Now you have your derm giving you an alternate regimen. What you have to do now is find out which one will work for you. I dont suggest adding in the meds your derm prescribed into the CSR regemin. I would follow only one of the regimens, give it about a month or so, then look for improvement. If none, then you may want to try the other regimen.

Jenna,

It isn't uncommon for derms to prescribe oral antibiotics, or to use a Retinoid at night and BP during the day.

You need to do what you feel is best for you and your skin. Your derm has the advantage of having seen your skin up close and know your history and such. He may feel your acne situation warrants stronger meds than what the CSR provides.

But ultimately it's up to you.

Like Tooshort said above, whichever you choose, do it strictly for a few months before deciding whether or not it is working for you. And you can always go the other route at a later time if you want to.

good luck!

He says my acne is inflammed and thats why he feels I need an oral antibiotic. I dont know if I should give the CSR a month and if not any better do the oral or what! Should I do the oral and CSR together? That way when I get off the Minocycline I can still keep clear with the CSR?

He says my acne is inflammed and thats why he feels I need an oral antibiotic. I dont know if I should give the CSR a month and if not any better do the oral or what! Should I do the oral and CSR together? That way when I get off the Minocycline I can still keep clear with the CSR?

I've taken Mino and Doxycycline in the past. They are both anti-biotics that work to kill bacteria internally. The CSR gel is designed to kill bacteria externally. Using both can either be a good thing or a bad thing. If you use both at the same time and your condition worsens or remains, then you wont know which is the culprit/which one to cut out of your regimen. Thats why I suggested trying one at a time.

For example:

- Use prescribed meds for 6 weeks.

- Look for results

if none....

- Begin CSR and continue for 6 weeks.

- Look for results.

hm... I think that normally the csr wouldn't work unless you use that twice each day. I don't think it'd be bad if you continued to try the csr and take the antibiotic as well. The csr could make your face worse at the start which is why the antibiotic could help. You probably should only take it though until the csr helps get rid of the acne. I think the retinoid would also make your acne worse at the start as well.

i have had a smilar predicament....in my experience, the oral anti-biotic will be a miracle drug for about 3 weeks, then you will go back to normal. the retanoid will help slough off the dead skin. keep with the csr and dont mess around with any of the other stuff. experiment.experiment.experiment.

if you follow the csr religiously, you'll be almost completely clear in 3-4 weeks. trust me on this, dont use the rxn meds yet. after your body gets used to the csr, and your no longer red/dry, you can start taking the oral antibiotic. this should greatly curtail the frequency of active pimples. lastly, after about's c a month, use the retanoid every other night. this should help clear up the red marks.

my regimen:

morn:

dan's cleanser

bp

aveeno ultra calming

night:

dan's cleanser

differin/bp on alternate nights

100 mg minocycline

ps minocyclin has less side effects/less sun sensitivity and seems to work better

i couldnt agree more...avoid the rxn retanoids. rxn and drugs are just big business that the derms want to get a piece of. your derm isn't going to make any money perscribing the csr...so he's not going to do it even though he knows bp is a very effective treatment option.

Thank you! I'm not going to use the retinoid, I did take the monocycline yesterday though because my face isn't red or dry from the CSR being that I was using BP before I even stared this (proactive) I just wasnt using as much BP but I am hoping the minocycline will reduce my IB from using the CSR.

Also, I can not tell you all how much I appreciate your replies :surprised: Thank you!!!

I wouldn't take the antibiotics or use the topical from your derm. First, you shouldn't alter the CSR until you're clear. Second, I have taken all the antibiotics in the past and they have a lot of negatives. They only work for a short time, cause digestive tract problems because they kill good bacteria too, and they end up making the bacteria resistent to the medication.

I recommend you stick with the CSR. I have found that diet and nutrition can play a significant role in greatly reducing the severity and frequency of your acne. This approach shouldn't affect the CSR and has done wonders for me. The most important supplements for acne are: Zinc, Vitamins A, C, and E, Omega-3, and MSM. Let us know how you make out!