Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrew*

Improvement from accutane gradual or sudden?

19 members have voted

1. 1. How did the improvement happen?

• Gradually (weeks to months)
    • Suddenly (days to weeks)
    • Skin did not improve the whole time

So, I now realize that I won't be one of those people who clears up right from the start...

...or at the end of the 1st month....

...or within two months...

...or in the third month for that matter.

After 12 weeks my skin is still worse than it's ever been, and has been that way since the 4 week mark. I know a few people on here have said that although it took a long time to work, accutane did still work for them. Was anyone else's skin still worse than when they started by 3 months?

But when people say for example "it took 4 months to work", do they mean they just suddenly woke up one morning and things were a lot better? Or was it a gradual improvement that took several weeks and by 4 months they were completely clear?

Any thoughts and comments gratefully received.

no you don't wake up one morning and suddenly everything is gone, but by let's say month 9 (in my case) you realise it actually took til month 4 or so until you could wake up and look the same as last night.

don't worry, I know it seems a long time but it will clear up eventually. just stick to it religiously and maybe start taking pictures every month or so. by doing that you can actually see your progress, it's easy to loose track of what's happening with tane.

I wish you all the best, let us know how you're doin in 2 months time or so! ;)

(oh one last thing, you probably know already, taking it with a glas of milk and omega 3, if possible after a big meal, can increase the effect compared to just a glas of water first thing in the morning)

Thanks Anjana for the advice, though it's hard to stay positive :(. Did you take a "high" dose for that period of time (9+ months)? My derm said he's never prescribed a course longer than 6 months, and he claims he's never needed to, which also worries me if he's going to conclude it hasn't worked before giving it a full chance. Oh well.

Thanks Anjana for the advice, though it's hard to stay positive :(. Did you take a "high" dose for that period of time (9+ months)? My derm said he's never prescribed a course longer than 6 months, and he claims he's never needed to, which also worries me if he's going to conclude it hasn't worked before giving it a full chance. Oh well.

For me it was a very gradual process. I didn't notice a significant improvement until about 3 of 4 months into my couse. I was on accutane for 6 months and I was on a very high dosage for four of those months (120mg). I even got a minor breakout shortly after my course but right now I'm closing in on 2 months post tane and besides some left over red marks I'm relatively clear. Be patient, it can be a slow process and you can continue to see improvement even after your course is over.

andrew,

no I've been on 20mg for 13 months now and will continue one or two months more. so it is more sort of a lowdose treatment although I went down and up a bit from time to time. rightnow I'm on 30mg, but that'll only be for the last part.

well I think your derm is one of those that puts people on quite high doses right from the start. therefore, they don't need more than 6 months. but personally I think the chance of getting acne back is higher with that kind of treatment....well you can argue about that of course, but I mean...it's hard to say really, everyone is different. and you don't even know what tane does when you stop taking it, not for sure.

just like gravityalwayswins said, your skin might improve further after you actually finished the whole course. don't ask me why. but you know most people that are coming back for a second round then go on a lowdose treatment because they feel it was too high and too short the first time.

well I can't tell you anything of use really :lol: but I can tell you that every derm is different.

my derm for example is very into lowdose treatments but for a long long time. he claims he never had anyone coming back for a second round but then that might be because they think he's a jerk and have moved on to someone else. :lol: anyway, don't take it as the law what your derm says, listen to it, but it's always best to get more than one opinion if you're unsure about something.

oh and andrew, yes I know it's hard to stay positiv but just stop worrying about it if you can (I know you can't but pretend you are :lol: ). think that way, at least your taking some action now, you are DOING something, that always makes me feel better. yes my skin looks crap,yes everzone thinks I'm a freak, but I'm working on it. I waited years until I finally went out to get tane and I should've done it much earlier, but instead I just sat at home and buried myself in selfpity. not very helpful. so "enjoy" being a tanejunkie, there are actually people that are crying because they can't get their hands on it. :shifty:

oh and andrew, yes I know it's hard to stay positiv but just stop worrying about it if you can (I know you can't but pretend you are :lol: ). think that way, at least your taking some action now, you are DOING something, that always makes me feel better. yes my skin looks crap,yes everzone thinks I'm a freak, but I'm working on it. I waited years until I finally went out to get tane and I should've done it much earlier, but instead I just sat at home and buried myself in selfpity. not very helpful. so "enjoy" being a tanejunkie, there are actually people that are crying because they can't get their hands on it. :shifty:

It's good advice... and I wish I could follow it. I'm trying to think positive, but I haven't left the house for weeks... and all the rest of it.

Anyways, I've put up a couple of photos in the gallery for a bit of public humiliation, and to keep track of what's going on. No amount of studying the photos will find any positives at this point, sadly.

well i voted suddenly cuz the first 2 weeks was amazing cuz my skin just got sooo much better. now i just finished the 1st month and my results have been gradual.

The first time i took it, i was on it for nine months at a pretty high dose (severe nodulo/cystic) and i did not clear until 2 months after the course was done. Stayed clear for a very long time.

The more recent course i cleared pretty quickly.

Everyone is different, and even the same person can react differently to it from one course to the next.