Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kibb

De-institutionalisation

Recently i was doing a paper on de-institutionalisation, that is, freeing the intellectually disabled from institutions that branded them as inadequate and kept them in surveilance.

And i came across a quote from such a resident in an institution, "Was there no injustice in this? Am I to be thought the only criminal when all human kind sinned against me? .... I, the miserable and the abandoned, am an abortion, to be spurned at and kicked and trampled on. Even now my blood boils at the recollection of this injustice." It was by Anne MacDonald and she also wrote, "I went into an institution that saw its role as sheltering society from the sight of monsters; if we were disfigured, distorted, or disturbed then the world should not have to see or acknowledge us."

What im trying to get across is, there are people out there with a greater handicap trying to fight for the same equality in life. We ought not to feel inadequate or pessimistic. We should acknowledge that we have a problem and continuingly improve what we feel is lacking, but that does not mean not enjoying life at the moment. Please do not 'institutionalise' yourself, physically or mentally. There are better things to do in life than to worry.

Just a little something to share,

Kibb

I'm not sure what you mean by institutionalizing but I see it as like an addiction the way we obsess over the scars. It becomes you whole life. No friends, no hobbies, no social life, just scars. It's not just with disfigurements because I knew an acquaintance who commited suicide over baldness if you can believe that.

When someone is in a worse situation than you, it doesn't mean that your problem is non-existant.

im talking about these institutions that are mainly accomodating low intellectual people.. in simple words.. full grown adults with a child's intellect.

Melonchaly1996 Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They're not in there because their condition is worse than someone else's. They're in there because if they skip a medication they'll go on a killing spree.