Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
not2bad

Smoothbeam & TCA CROSS on The same day?

This tuesday I will be having my first of 3 or 4 smoothbeam treatments as well as a TCA CROSS. I'm not sure which will be done first. I am just wondering if anyone in here has had the two and what has been the result of this? Oh and I am wondering whethere I should get the numbing cream for the smoothbeam and if so what is the name? We agreed to start off on a setting of 12.

Thanks,

not2bad

Not2bad,

Has your Esthetician or Doctor performed a Smoothbeam test spot before picking a setting suitable for your skin? I did fine on setting 11, but blistered a bit on 12, and setting 13/14 I had pea size blisters, so please be careful. Since I've blistered in the past, my Esthetician puts very cold aloe vera gel on and allows it to penetrate my skin for 10-15 minutes. Then she also puts a high percent sun block on after.

As for the numbing cream, you can find some at any Wal-Greens, Wal-Mart, etc.. but my Esthetician told me that I will see better results if I skip the numbing cream because the laser can penetrate through the skin better. It does hurt a lot more, but better results are worth the pain to me.

No we did not do a test spot. The dermatologist wanted to start on setting 8 but I felt that was too low...I have read in other posts that it's best to start on a higher setting I think I heard people say it brings better results. I wanted to start on 13 but he said we should start at 12 and then move up from there I agreed..I figure 12 is still a strong setting but also somewhat safe. Right now I am just worried about having both smoothbeam and TCA CROSS done on the same day...I haven't heard of anyone who has had that done. My treatments will be done tomorrow early morning...I will let you know how it goes. I might go get the numbing cream....I have had tattoos done and although they were a little bit painful I didn't need any numbing cream...my biggest one was done on my lower back a place which is very sensitive it took like 2 hours I took it pretty well...you said you went ahead without the numbing cream huh...I think I will go ahead and do it without the numbing cream and then if it's too painful I will have the next one setting 13 with the numbing cream. I'm a little nervous, but I'm sure it will be ok. I will let you know how it goes.Thanks for the info.

-not2bad

I definitely think this is too much in one day! Even if you did the smoothbeam first, which I think would be the only way, it seems like overdoing it. Has the doctor done this before with success?

Why is that anna?

I don't think its a bad idea, as long as you don't hit (witht the SB) the spots that were treated with TCA. Just go around them. Maybe you can even convince your doctor that you should get a free spot treatment of SB on the spots that weren't hit (if it is full face).

Again I'm not sure how he will be doing this. I think the best way to do it is to get the SB done all over my face and then have the local TCA applied. I'm a little nervous though. He said he had done these two procedures before, although he didn't tell me if he had done them together like he will be doing on me. I will be getting the smoothbeam setting 12 with no numbing cream....I'm a little worried about the pain but we will just have to wait and see how it goes. I don't have the cream yet and I would go buy it today but I have no idea what it is called or where to buy it.My treatments are scheduled for tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. I will keep you all posted.

-not2bad

Oh and by the way...I know I really might be overdoing it but hey I am determined to get rid of and/or minimize the appearance of these scars. I have a lot of redness on my cheeks that was left over from having done some natural peels at this skin clinic where they also extracted some acne...they poked it and extracted the bacteria that was inside. I was getting those peels to get rid of my red marks but with 6 done so far I have not seen any improvement at all and it was costing me $ 40 a week. I decided to save my money and get treatments for my scars first...but I have heard of some good home peels that have helped with redness ...would it be ok to maybe do some of these peels for my red marks like 2 weeks after my SB and TCA treatment? Have any of you who are getting or who have had Smoothbeam done any peels for red marks? Should I just wait after I get these treatments to treat the redness? I appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

-not2bad

The brand name is called ELA-MAX - they have both 4%, and 5% versions. It's generically called lidocaine, and I beleive that have it at walgreens. Ask the pharmacist there.

Ask your doctor about VBEAM (also by Candela) for redmarks.

If you get the size tube that costs between $35 and 60, you might be able to use it a few times (if your doc thinks it's okay)...

I'd recommend it because some people even complain about the pain /W the Creme!!

From Chicago wrote:

Why is that anna?  

I don't think its a bad idea, as long as you don't hit (witht the SB) the spots that were treated with TCA. Just go around them. Maybe you can even convince your doctor that you should get a free spot treatment of SB on the spots that weren't hit (if it is full face).

Well I just got home from the Derms office. I had both the smoothbeam and TCA CROSS. The doctor performed the TCA CROSS before the smoothbeam. The TCA did sting a bit but it was not too bad. The smoothbeam however was very painful. He did a setting of 12 with no numbing cream. I thought I could take it but man it really hurt. It kinda felt like a tattoo. I did have redness and a bit of swelling but it is not too bad. I will just wait and see how it goes. I will definitely be getting the numbing cream for the next treatment which is scheduled in three weeks.

-not2bad

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

So is the 20% TCA (probably I'll dilute it with water to tone it down more) pretty safe for home use?? I'll probably spot treat some of my scars...or is it better to just use 50% glyco and leave it for a longer time? (I'm using 30% glyco btw. I've used up 1/2 bottle so far).

You know I think Maya is doing the spot treatment with Glyco. Maybe she can tell you some more about that. The TCA CROSS I had done as you may or may not know consists of 100%TCA. This is definitely not safe for home use. What type of scars will you be doing the spot treatment on Obi? Oh and Obi whats are you currently using the 30% Glyco for? I have lots of hyperpigmentation that I want to get rid of as it makes the scars look worse but have no idea what to use. I have heard about Mandelic Acid but I'm not sure about that yet. I will keep reading the board.

-not2bad

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I'd say not really :-k

I notice that of all different stuff that I use...two days to a week into treatment, my skin looks okay, then after a while I feel that the scars (or other textures/original tone) resurfaced again.

Guest Cubsfan

if you have active acne you'll probably breakout from the combination of the smoothbeam laser and the ingredients in the tca peel

... yes I also beleive that SB pushes out the acne that remains in your pores, so you might expect to break out a little bit. Get the BP ready wink.gif.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

not2bad,

Sorry for my really late post (I took the 'auto reminder' option in my email. So I could be missing a lot of posts for me).

I'm using my glyco 30% to somewhat reduce some scars, uneven skin, etc...probably it's not strong enough.

I had my first smoothbeam about three weeks ago. only one week more till my next one.

:-k

Two questions:

1. I tried to read the whole post in the other TCA thread- I didn't think I see anybody said anything about the results being permanent? Can anybody confirm this?

2. So the CROSS is more of a method rather than the chemical itself? Cause Maya mentioned something about doing a 'cross with glycolic'. I also wonder if she was using a 50% glyco.

Hey Obi,

My computer just bombed and I am re writing my reply ](*,) .

Anyway, I believe each acid has unique and specific properties and therefore would disagree in assuming that the same results would be obtained with Glycolic or any other acid when compared to TCA. I remember the study researchers saying that TCA is known to cause precipitation of proteins. Also, it is not the acid's strength that is the only factor to consider. Just as important is the p.h. factor. Two acids of the same concentration with a different p.h. will have a very different reaction on your skin.

I don't know why the results wouldn't be permanent. The doctors said that they had been performing this treatment for ten years and it would seem that they would have mentioned a need for repeated treatments if that were the case.

I hope your treatments work out really well!

Take care.

Anna

Remember TCA is much stronger than glycolic acid and it neutralizes on its own. I would worry that glycolic acid was deep in the scar and you could not reach it to neutralize it.

I Have tried doing the cross method with 40% glycolic, each time leaving for 10 minutes - both times, I got burned badly - ouch really! Left some hyperpigmentation - no results whatsoever. Will not be doing it again.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Hmm...I'll stick with my SB for now then.