Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brandolynn

If you have tried Lac-Hydrin Five lotion.........

yes, Walgreens.

Brandy, how long into the regimen would you recommend me switching into the Lac-Hydrin Five? How would you compare the Lac-Hydrin Five moisturizer to this one? My goal as of now is to get a 100% clear complexion with no red marks. I am currently on my 5th day of the regimen with the Complex 15 moisturizer (which is awesome btw) and it has dramatically cleared my skin already. I guess my acne is extremely mild, but I would just like to get rid of my red marks from past acnes, which I read that AHA helps to do, hence the comparison b/w the Lac-Hydrin Five and the Alpha Hydrox. Thanks.

Hi VolksWagon,

You can consider adding in something with AHA after you have been on the Regimen for a month or so. When you are at the full amount of BP.

Lac-Hydrin Five is 5% lactic acid. Lactic acid is a milder exfoliant than glycolic acid. The link you provided was a 10% glycolic acid product, so it is going to be more strong than Lac-Hydrin Five.

The main differences is that you can apply Lac-hydrin Five all over, it is a moisturizer and usually well-tolerated. But the Alpha Hydrox stuff is pretty strong and will likely sting, especially those with sensitive skin. And you would most likely spot-treat with it rather than put it all over.

So, the choice is yours really. It will depend on how your skin has adjusted to the BP onslaught, and how sensitive your skin is in general.

Hi VolksWagon,

You can consider adding in something with AHA after you have been on the Regimen for a month or so. When you are at the full amount of BP.

Lac-Hydrin Five is 5% lactic acid. Lactic acid is a milder exfoliant than glycolic acid. The link you provided was a 10% glycolic acid product, so it is going to be more strong than Lac-Hydrin Five.

The main differences is that you can apply Lac-hydrin Five all over, it is a moisturizer and usually well-tolerated. But the Alpha Hydrox stuff is pretty strong and will likely sting, especially those with sensitive skin. And you would most likely spot-treat with it rather than put it all over.

So, the choice is yours really. It will depend on how your skin has adjusted to the BP onslaught, and how sensitive your skin is in general.

Brandy, check your PM.

You can use it at night and continue with your NHSFL spf product for daytime use if you want to, that's fine. Or you can use it twice a day, just be mindful of the lack of spf in it.

If it is a big white bottle with a green lable, then yes, you bought the right one. On the back of the bottle, on the back lable it says that it is safe to use on the face and especially formulated to not clog pores or cause acne.

Hi

Is it lac hydrin 12% we are loking for?

Hello, hello! Me again!

So I've been using the Lac-Hydrin Five twice daily after applying the BP for about four days... and it's too much for my face to take. :doh:

I'm all dry and flaky around my mouth and in a couple other spots. So now I'm cutting down my Lac-Hydrin Five usage to once daily. I'm not giving up on it! It really has helped improve my skin tone and cut down on my oiliness. (Albeit, a bit too much!)

Maybe less BP in certain areas will also help. And I got some jojoba oil today, too, so we'll see how my skin likes that. ;)

Sounds like the 5% lactic acid was too much for you.

If you want another nice moisturizer to try that doesn't have any AHA in it, you can try Moisturel. I've been trialing it now for a few weeks and really liking it.

I use quite a bit of it, a blob about the size of a quarter, and it feels and looks very nice. My skin stays super hydrated all day.

Sounds like the 5% lactic acid was too much for you.

If you want another nice moisturizer to try that doesn't have any AHA in it, you can try Moisturel. I've been trialing it now for a few weeks and really liking it.

I use quite a bit of it, a blob about the size of a quarter, and it feels and looks very nice. My skin stays super hydrated all day.

Thanks for the advice. :) The jojoba oil actually seems to be working pretty well, though I might try the Moisturel if I can find it. It doesn't leave your skin greasy at all, does it?

Hi all. I have been using Lac Hydrin Five for a week now; I had to stop howerver, because the burning/irritation never subsided. Which I think caused more acne :wall:

It moisturized pretty well, though it felt greasy. Didnt really have a big problem with flakes, so I cant really say. It went over Dans BP pretty well.

I guess I'll just use the rest as body lotion.

Does it keep flaking away? For about 10 hours, which is okay, cuz when it flakes & gets dry again it is just about time to do CSR in the evening (or when I wake up in the morning it's flaky, but I do CSR right away). The flakiness seems to be lessening, so it may get even better with more time (hopefully). I am also using jojoba oil with it.

Does it keep your skin adequately hydrated? Hasn't elminated dryness completely, but keeps it at bay for about 10 hours (see 1st answer). It doesnt keep my skin as soft & smooth as I would like, so a little more hydration might be nice. I think it is helping keep a more even tone to my skin; I feel like my red marks have lightened with it a little(!).

Does it go on well over the BP? (which BP brand are you using it with?) Yes, very well. I use it with CSR BP. It absorbs fast, isnt greasy, doesn't cause shine, & is good under makeup. Right now it still stings in the dryer areas a bit & causes a little pinkness, but that's getting better too.

Also: My skin is oily & can get very shiny mid-day, but Lac-Hydrin Five doesn't make it worse. Using it with mineral makeup actually keeps my skin from getting grease slick like it used to. Cetaphil was too greasy & made me look shinier. I dont think Cetaphil hydrated me any better either.

I've been using it for a couple of days and it is definately less greasy than the cetaphil and the burning sensation was pretty mild, but it still left me a little shiny and I seemed to be noticeably drier by the end of the day (though that might be because today was particularly cold and windy).

My biggest complaint is that is seems to irritate my skin, causing a lot of redness. The cetaphil causes a lot of redness too (it's kind of amplified by the greasy sheen...), but not as bad as this seemed to. Should I keep using the LH5 and see if it persists or should I try to switch to something like the Aveeno Ultra Calming mositurizer that claims to reduce redness?

Been using it for a few weeks now - morning and night.

I am not any redder - but have lost all my flakes for sure. Really neat.

Does it keep flaking away? No, never had a problem with this

Does it keep your skin adequately hydrated?- Absolutely, when I First started using it, I had to apply it a few times a day. But, after about one week, I only put it on once in the am and once in the pm with no flaking or dryness.

Does it go on well over the BP? (which BP brand are you using it with?) Yes, it goes on well, I used both Dan's bp and Neutrogena on the spot with Lac-Hydrin and had no problems. I had to be a little more gentle when using neutrogena to avoid any flaking.

I personally am very happy with lac-hydrin and probably won't use anything else at this point. It made my face a little red in the beginning but, that went away in a few days. Now my face is not red, feels smooth and is hydrated.

I just started CSR. LH5 makes the BP stinging, burning sensation a lot worse. It's like pouring gasoline on fire. Is this normal?

I just started CSR. LH5 makes the BP stinging, burning sensation a lot worse. It's like pouring gasoline on fire. Is this normal?

A small amount of stinging is normal when beginning AHA's. But yours sounds like more than a small amount. Discontinue using it for now, let your skin settle down. Then if you want to retry it later on, just use a small pea-sized amount and see how that feels. Not everyone can tolerate AHA's, so if it really is uncomfortable and doesn't go away, then you should probably stick with a normal moisturizer.

Have you tried Jojoba oil yet? You might consider adding it to whatever moisturizer you normally use and see if that will help your dry skin.

Have you tried Jojoba oil yet? You might consider adding it to whatever moisturizer you normally use and see if that will help your dry skin.

I'm using jojoba oil right now before BP followed by another regular moisurizer. Is jojoba oil alone enough? My skin seems to do worse when I try to give it too many variables.

^ It might be enough for some people, but not for others. You'll just have to see how your skin will do with just Jojoba oil.

I just started using Lac-Hydrin Five this weekend and noticed a sour smell right after I put it on. Is this normal or did I buy a bottle that's too old? (It's possible, although I grabbed the less dusty one from the shelf.)

saahu5--

Maybe it has gone bad because mine doesn't have any sort of sour smell. The only thing I smell is the scent of petrolatum.

I just started using Lac-Hydrin Five this weekend and noticed a sour smell right after I put it on. Is this normal or did I buy a bottle that's too old? (It's possible, although I grabbed the less dusty one from the shelf.)

Looks like you got a bad bottle.

yea, I agree ^

I use about 2 pea-sized blobs for my entire face. This is enough to hydrate but not feel heavy and shiny.

I tried out just putting little blobs on the tips of my fingers. This helps out with the stinging/pinkish hue alot. Thanks!

It still makes me shiny though. I don't know how to describe my skin! I am dry, but oily (shiny)...

This might be because I'm coloured... & it shows up on me, more than white people.

I use those oil-blot sheets all the time, but it's kind of a pain/embarrassing, especially b/c I'm a guy! Can any of you recommend the best/cheapest oil-blot sheets? I hear that you can use STARBUCKS napkins because they don't leave anything behind. This would be a FREE option with just taking a whole bunch of napkins from them... but I don't want to try it just in case I break out in acne all over again... after the time & effort of this damn regimen!

yea, I agree ^

I use about 2 pea-sized blobs for my entire face. This is enough to hydrate but not feel heavy and shiny.

I tried out just putting little blobs on the tips of my fingers. This helps out with the stinging/pinkish hue alot. Thanks!

It still makes me shiny though. I don't know how to describe my skin! I am dry, but oily (shiny)...

This might be because I'm coloured... & it shows up on me, more than white people.

I use those oil-blot sheets all the time, but it's kind of a pain/embarrassing, especially b/c I'm a guy! Can any of you recommend the best/cheapest oil-blot sheets? I hear that you can use STARBUCKS napkins because they don't leave anything behind. This would be a FREE option with just taking a whole bunch of napkins from them... but I don't want to try it just in case I break out in acne all over again... after the time & effort of this damn regimen!

It may sound strange, but I asked my doctor for a piece of the paper she puts over her patient " bed" before each patient. I don't know what it's called, but I think you know what I am talking about. I just know that every time I have to lie face down on the accupuncture table, my makeup gets blotted by the paper cover!

Curious if anyone has noticed an increase in blemishes after using the LacHydrin 5 lotion?? I switched to this lotion about 6 weeks ago and have noticed an increase in random blemishes, espeically in spots I ususally never break out in. I'm going to switch back to my Cetaphil lotion today and see if I can't figure out this problem.

Otherwise, I love this stuff. Cheap, goes on very easy and doesn't shine like the cetaphil.