Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
birdybird41

Please help- questions about accutane and spironolactone.....

Hey all

So, I just posted about this monster cyst from the depths of HELL that I have on my chin...that went down with cyst injection on Aug. 31, but then came back worse, and 10 times more inflamed....The derm tried to poke it to see if anything would come out, but only blood came out...And she didn't want to full out lance it because it was so red and inflamed.....So...she injected another small amount into it, and discussed all my options...I"d love some feedback on this...meantime, she wrote me a prescrip for 7 days of Cipro, to try to knock out the infection/imflammation once and for all......( I was trying Doxy, but to no avail... :( )

OK, so I"m 42, have been suffering from hormonal cysts for about 10 years now.....Luckily ( well, that's relative I guess) I only get about 2-3 bad ones per year....I stayed clear for about 9 months straight with a combo of microdermabrasion and Avage ( tazorac) Then, I couldn't afford the micro anylonger, so I got a complexion brush and tried the "jessfoliation" that was on here for a while....That worked great, but either I slacked off, or my hormones are just too damn persisitant because about a month ago i could feel a mega cyst coming up on my chin- you know the kind- takes about 2 weeks for it to surface- stays around for about 3-4, then takes another 2-3 weeks to fade......yeah, so we're talkin 2 months of this..I've had the damn thing injected for the second time today...so now, I"m sure I'll get a sink hole....ugggg.... :wall:

.Now, usually, I'll get some smaller little cyst like things, that surface in about a week...no biggie...But, about 2-3 times per year, these megadeep cysts will emerge and they are HELL...

OK, so today, she talked to me about Accutane.....I was hesitant only because I tried it about 6 years ago and I physically felt so bad, that I stopped after about 2 weeks....Now I think back and think it also coulda been psychological- ie I was very anxious......

OK, so she told me to try Sprironolactone first...has anybody tried that???

What about accutane? Reading the posts here, I am scared half to death of the side effects....She assured me that she would be "creative" with the dosing so that I wouldn't experience any initialy purging or bad acne....Basically, she said that this hormonal cyst shit could go on for another 10 years!!!!!!!

The crazy thing is, I"m one of those people that, when my skin is clear, it looks great and I get compliments on it!! I get zits NO OTHER place but my chin......my upper face is smooth and clear and, for 42, I've got few lines- probably because I"m so oily....

OK, so sorry for it being so long, but any help would be much appreciated....

I'm on both spiro and accutane. Spiro 50mg for 2 months now and Accutane 60mg for 23 days. I'm 32. The spiro helped a bit with my hormonal breakouts but I've had success with accutane before and didn't want to wait. Ortho tri cyclene helps regulate your hormones too. It's worth doing the research on this site on hormonal acne and PCOS Poly cystic ovarian syndrome. Accutane will help but the hormones need to get regulated or it will come back.

I'm on both spiro and accutane. Spiro 50mg for 2 months now and Accutane 60mg for 23 days. I'm 32. The spiro helped a bit with my hormonal breakouts but I've had success with accutane before and didn't want to wait. Ortho tri cyclene helps regulate your hormones too. It's worth doing the research on this site on hormonal acne and PCOS Poly cystic ovarian syndrome. Accutane will help but the hormones need to get regulated or it will come back.

Was your acne solely the hormonal chin cysts? I am really trying to decide the best course for me..I totally understand that accutane has been a miracle for so many people, so I'm not down on accutane at all. But, I don't want to have to take something so powerful if there are other options...OR to go through 6 months of accutane, only to have the hormonal acne return because the underlying hormones were actually the culprit...Its just so frustrating because, for the majority of the time, my skin is clear and smooth- I get very few blackheads and smaller papules...I am almost soley hormonal chin cysts..And then, not even every month... :wall: It's so hard to figure this out!!!

Thanks!!

I would not consider you a good candidate for Accutane given your description. I'd advise you to keep it as a last resort and try the hormonal approach first.

thanks, i appreciate that feedback. I think that the derm recommended accutane only because I have been dealing with these hormonal cysts for over 10 years now!! But, I tend to agree with you that perhaps I need to try to spiro and see what happens before I go to the "big guns"

I also think I'll go back to twice monthly microdermabrasion, since that kept me completely clear for 9 months last year....

thanks!!

if i was you, i would actually try spironolactone first, it worked wonders for my skin, more than anything that accutane has ever done. all of the cysts i have are all on my right chin, and no where else. i occasionally get one on my forehead but its nothing compared to the ones on my chin. def try spiro. if nothin else, try both spiro and accutane--i think i might do that!! good luck, just hang in there!

birdybird41

Hey to you! Just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat. My derm just started me on spiro after 17 years of unsuccesssful other treatments. This is my last resort before accutane (which i am desperately trying to avoid). So with a combo of Ortho tc and spiro, I hope it works. Good luck to us!

You could also try Yasmin Birth Control if you can't get hte Spiro stuff. You have to use birth control before you can be put on Accutane anyways so you might as well use a BC that helps acne. Worked a miracle for me. THe doc kept talking about accutane and I told him let me get on Yasmin first and didn't need the tane becuase Yasmin cleared my huge cysts in 2 weeks. Never got a cyst again. It's a shame, because now I can't ever go off, or it's cyst city.

birdybird41

Hey to you! Just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat. My derm just started me on spiro after 17 years of unsuccesssful other treatments. This is my last resort before accutane (which i am desperately trying to avoid). So with a combo of Ortho tc and spiro, I hope it works. Good luck to us!

Hey Beagle13!!

Yeah, I wanna avoid accutane too. It just seems like trying to stomp out an anthill with a bazooka, ya know? Not to minimize my cysts, 'cause when I get them, they SUCK...but I only get 2-3 bad ones a year...((sigh)) I don't know, this is all so hard to figure out...

I wonder, however, whether I should consider BCP's....thought I don't need them 'cause my hubbie had a vasectomy and I've had uterine ablation to treat really heavy periods so I can't get pregnant no matter what anymore

but anyway, yes good luck to US!!! :)

My probelms with chin acne all started when i was put on Tri Nessa- I swear the devil invented that to punish women. I then got on OTC and it did nothing. I've spend 1,500 on microdermabrasion and sure my skin is soft, but it was before as well.

I hate chin hormonal acne and am considering going on spiro.

My post isn't helping any I know..but it's nice to know I'm not alone!