Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acneismycurse

have antibiotics ever worked for anyone?

i'm talking pure antibiotics, not combined with retin-a, bp, accutane pills or with another topical.

i've NEVER heard a success story, here or in real life, of someone getting rid of their acne simply by taking doxy or eryth or mino and that alone.

i think it's just something most (or all) of us get immune to, after a month or so, that doctors/derms use to make sure we're not deathly ill to anti-acne products and also to keep us coming back. oh, of course, and after we try every antibiotic that exists on the shelves, then they consider things that actually work.

hm.

just a theory!

When I was diligent about taking my 50mg of doxycycline, combined with 3 topical meds...I was pretty clear.

But if I missed a dose, or went to bed without the topicals...I'd break out.

antibiotics aren't a cure for acne, and for 99% of users, antibiotics don't leave them 100% clear/blemish-free.

i've tried..

Amoxicillin

Levaquin

Minocyline

I've been on three different anitbiotics for four years. To sum it up- they are a waste of time. B5 and accutane are faaaaaaaaaaar better.

Stories you will hear about antibiotics:

"I was pretty clear"

"It helped a bit"

"It was alright"

NEVER: "It cured my life long struggle against acne, and i am so happy"

Antibiotics are not for acne prevention, they are for big infected heady acne prevention.

precisely. they won't "cure you" but they'll limit the size and frequency of your breakouts so they're easier to manage.

thats said MINOCLYCLINE works great for me. and recent medical studies actually validate long term use for the most effective treatment esepecially with those who have flucutating cycles.

antibiotics aren't a cure for acne, and for 99% of users, antibiotics don't leave them 100% clear/blemish-free.

i've tried..

Amoxicillin

Levaquin

Minocyline

I've been on three different anitbiotics for four years. To sum it up- they are a waste of time. B5 and accutane are faaaaaaaaaaar better.

Stories you will hear about antibiotics:

"I was pretty clear"

"It helped a bit"

"It was alright"

NEVER: "It cured my life long struggle against acne, and i am so happy"

what about it helped me manage my acne so now i'm clear? :D there ARE a few success stories but it depends on the person and how long you stay on it!

Honestly, I don't know how it could possibly work forever. It might clear up a *temporary* breakout, but you can't possibly stay on them forever.

I've been on then for five weeks now, and it's yeast infection central over here (um, sorry for that visual)!

I also got five new cyst/nodules while on minocycline.

Honestly, I don't know how it could possibly work forever. It might clear up a *temporary* breakout, but you can't possibly stay on them forever.

I've been on then for five weeks now, and it's yeast infection central over here (um, sorry for that visual)!

I also got five new cyst/nodules while on minocycline.

Are you taking acidophilus with the antibiotics? You can get capsules in the refrigerated section of health food/natural food stores. Eating a yogurt (full of sugar) a day is not going to cut it with antibiotics. Mega dose the acidophilus for a week, and then take the recommended dose and you will see a big difference.

I suffered from chronic yeast infections until I started doing that.

I have tried many and NONE worked. My problem is oil that clogs my pores thus cysts and blackheads. Antibiotics wont hinder the oil so their useless.

I'm on Doxy and I really really like it. For anyone else in here who happens to wander into this thread: don't let anyone discourage you from trying something that has been reccommended to you especially if you haven't tried it because you never know if you could be one of the responsive ones. I hear all too often people dismissing antibiotics because many people are all too desperate to get immediate results. Unless you're telling me antibio's were the worst because it caused intolerable side effects or that you've tried them all and the problem is progressing worse, then I would tell you otherwise. The point is that antibiotics have worked for many people and it has carried them to a point in their lives where acne isn't even a concern anymore. It just takes time and patience. The key is, if one stops working, move on to the next until you run out of options before you try the big guns...I know from experience. Accutane wasn't pretty for me, but at one point in my life it was a necessity.

I'm on Doxy and I really really like it. For anyone else in here who happens to wander into this thread: don't let anyone discourage you from trying something that has been reccommended to you especially if you haven't tried it because you never know if you could be one of the responsive ones. I hear all too often people dismissing antibiotics because many people are all too desperate to get immediate results. Unless you're telling me antibio's were the worst because it caused intolerable side effects or that you've tried them all and the problem is progressing worse, then I would tell you otherwise. The point is that antibiotics have worked for many people and it has carried them to a point in their lives where acne isn't even a concern anymore. It just takes time and patience. The key is, if one stops working, move on to the next until you run out of options before you try the big guns...I know from experience. Accutane wasn't pretty for me, but at one point in my life it was a necessity.

I totally agree.....I have been helped tremendously by antibiotics and so has my teenage daughter....I've never expected "perfection", though, so maybe that's the difference...I just wanted to reduce the frequency and severity of the hormonal, chin cysts that I was getting every month....

I just switched from mino to doxy....mino worked great for me for a time, but like many antibiotics, they do lose thier oomph after a while ( tolerance)

However, I only take antibiotics when I feel a cyst coming up- my derm told me to start taking the doxy as soon as I feel one coming and then continue for 7 days...

BUT, I do believe that you also MUST be meticulous about how you cleanse your skin and what topicals you use....I have been kept very clear the last several years by a combo of Avage ( tazorac for us older ladies :) ) microdermabrasion when I can afford it, and in between, using a complexion brush from sephora...

Again, I dont think we can make sweeping statements about any one treatment here....clearly, by reading the posts, it is such an individual skin disease...Some folks have been "cured" by various methods, only to have a return months later....Bottom line...I am in my early 40's and my battle with acne will likely be life long....I just keep vigilant and that keeps me *mostly* clear....

Are you taking acidophilus with the antibiotics? You can get capsules in the refrigerated section of health food/natural food stores. Eating a yogurt (full of sugar) a day is not going to cut it with antibiotics. Mega dose the acidophilus for a week, and then take the recommended dose and you will see a big difference.

Oh yeah, I'm taking them. It's insane how sensitive my body is. I take probiotics three times a day and I still got one. And I don't eat bread or sugar (well, unless I cheat). Crazy, huh?

i did tetracyline after a year of accutane when my acne came back and within 2 months it cleared me up 100%....actully 110% but after half year i got of it and the acne came back

i must be a freak of nature.

i've been on mino for about a year now and i was on it before. no resistance. i havne't really broken out except here and there and usually mildly a pimple or two the week after my period.

i even managed to cut down on my topical.

i've never had a yeast infection. i don't eat yoghurt as i'm lactose intollerant.

my teeth are fine, no weird spots and my liver is healthy.

so...am i a freak for saying this is actually working for me?

no offense to anyone here but do any of you do any research on the drugs you have been prescribed. ive been on mino for almost a year and a half and ive researched it alot. i dont know about other anti-biotics but bacteria cannot become resistent to the drug minocyclin thats why its considred one of the best antibiotics for treatment of acne beacause you can use it for years. some people stay on for up to 5 years. for all those people saying they became immune to it or watever im sorry but that is logically and scientifically not possible. what is most probable is your acne just got worse naturally and minocyclin was not a strong enough drug to control you new level of acne. i think people dont give some medications enough of a chance. i was on minocyclin for at least 6 months before it started gettin under control and i still have my breakouts every now and then. for alot or people after anti-biotics acne does come back, so anti-biotics are not a cure for acne but they should control your acne if its not too bad of a case

My derm himself said he was on Mino for over 10 years. I've been on it for about a year (previously was on Doxy-- SO glad I switched!) and my skin is very clear. My liver and kidney function are perfect as well.

I don't know much about bacterial resistance, but I don't understand why bacteria couldn't become resistant to minocycline. It's evolution, right? Survival of the fittest. All bacteria can become stronger if given the chance.

I've only ever got clear by using antibiotics in conjunction with other acne products such as retinoids and benzoyl peroxide. Actually, I've never taken just oral antibiotics......

Oh yeah, I'm taking them. It's insane how sensitive my body is. I take probiotics three times a day and I still got one. And I don't eat bread or sugar (well, unless I cheat). Crazy, huh?

What a bummer! :cry:

What antibiotic are you taking, and what is the dosage?

I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) so my derm found me a low dose Doxycline (50mg) that did not bother my stomach. It also helped with the candida problem. He also told me that there is new low dose antibiotic that is available, and is supposed to work really good. I don't know the name though. We didn't discuss it much since I was ready to go on Accutane.

Ask your derm...you might find something better.

:think: Are you on birth control pills? They can cause yeast infections too, because of the changes in your hormones. I got monthly yeast infections when I was on the pill. Mixed with antibiotics, you could be getting a double whammy.

Alcohol can cause them too.

I don't know much about bacterial resistance, but I don't understand why bacteria couldn't become resistant to minocycline. It's evolution, right? Survival of the fittest. All bacteria can become stronger if given the chance.

"One of the great advantages of Minocycline is the inability of bacteria to become resistant. Thus, although it was originally developed with Weil's Disease and Syphillus in mind, it came to be very popular with dermatologists, as a treatment for teenage acne. Even other antibiotics in the Tetracycline "family" have fallen victim to the problem of resistance...works by inhibiting the action of enzymes, which bacteria need, in order to produce the proteins, from which new DNA is formed. Once these "building blocks" have been removed, the reproduction of bacteria is prevented. Over time, the existing bacteria will die but new cells won't be able to take their place and the bacterial "population" will dwindle"

British national formulary

im not gonna argue with science dude.

and evolution doesnt take place over a couple of years

Hey Mickey,

I was taking Cleosin, then Minocycline, now doxycycline at 100 mg 2x day. I don't drink alcohol, but the pill may have something to do with it. I have always been the kind of person who gets a yeast infection within a couple days of going on antibiotics, even when I was just taking them for bronchitus or a sinus infection. Oh well.

"One of the great advantages of Minocycline is the inability of bacteria to become resistant. Thus, although it

im not gonna argue with science dude.

and evolution doesnt take place over a couple of years