Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mindolluin

Ladies, Yet another BC question

Hello There! I know you're all probably screaming, Blaghh not another birth control question!! I'll apologize profusely ahead of time.

Here's the deal, I have DHEA sulafte levels which are most likely from my current BC (depo). I don't wanna switch in the middle of my accutane treatment but would like to after. I'm looking for a long term effective and easy BC where I don;t have to pop a pill every day. (I'm soooo tired of pills! :sick: ) I'm not interested in having children at this time maybe in another 5 years but definately not now. I have only one probem I haven't had my period in years and quite frankly I dont miss it. But I've been on Depo way too long. Is there anything out there similiar to Depo that would have the same effects? There's too many to choose :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

M

What do you mean you haven't had your period in years? That's not healthy. You need to have one at least every three months so bad cells don't form in there. Lack of a period is a side effect of Depo Provera.

first off you should see a gyno about that period, take some tests whatever. i took my tests a couple of weeks ago and my DHEA levels are over the normal limit, testosterone is pretty high (though within normal limits) and I got Diane 35. I've had pretty good effects with this one in the past.

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. I'm aware of what the side effects of Depo Provera are. It's something I've thoroughly discussed with both my gyno and also my PCP. Hence why I want to get off of it. Everyone keeps saying that not having your period is so horrible. f Why is that exactly? I get regular check ups and paps and have never had a problem with these "bad cells" everyone talks about. Also see:http://patienteducation.upmc.com/Pdf/BirthControlDepoProvera.pdf Not to mention that with not having my period I escape an entire week of being violently ill. Sorry if this seems defensive, I mean no harm I just really hate my period.

In regards to Diane 35, I don't think we have that here in the states.

Soo back to my original question!

Does anyone have any suggestions on a safe and effective long term BC that you don't have to pop a pill everyday or stick crap to your skin? I've tried researching the net but can't seem to find anything long term that's for people who haven't had children. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I just want a heads up before my next gyno visit at the end of the month.

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. I'm aware of what the side effects of Depo Provera are. It's something I've thoroughly discussed with both my gyno and also my PCP. Hence why I want to get off of it. Everyone keeps saying that not having your period is so horrible. f Why is that exactly? I get regular check ups and paps and have never had a problem with these "bad cells" everyone talks about. Also see:http://patienteducation.upmc.com/Pdf/BirthControlDepoProvera.pdf Not to mention that with not having my period I escape an entire week of being violently ill. Sorry if this seems defensive, I mean no harm I just really hate my period.

In regards to Diane 35, I don't think we have that here in the states.

Soo back to my original question!

Does anyone have any suggestions on a safe and effective long term BC that you don't have to pop a pill everyday or stick crap to your skin? I've tried researching the net but can't seem to find anything long term that's for people who haven't had children. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I just want a heads up before my next gyno visit at the end of the month.

Have you thought about an IUD?

The pamphlets will say that they are for women who have had children, but my last two doctors both offered them to me as a bc option - and I have never had kids.

(for most women at least) When you first start an IUD, you will have an irregular period - but after a few months it will become extremely light and possibly not come at all.

IUDs are for women who want an effective bc that will be used for years - it is not a short term option. (and it sounds like you are looking for something longer term)

One of the biggest concerns with an IUD is infection. The risk of infection increases dramatically for women with more than one partner. So, if you are not in a long-term 'exclusive' relationship, I would avoid the IUD.

Anyway, the IUD may be a good fit for you :)

good luck finding something that works for you!

~Becca

Becca,

Thanks for the info! :) I was looking into something called Mirena but again the info said that you had to have had children. The search continues...

What do you mean you haven't had your period in years? That's not healthy. You need to have one at least every three months so bad cells don't form in there. Lack of a period is a side effect of Depo Provera.

Well, that is rubbish!

I am 37 and have been on Depo for almost 3 years now.

My doctor says there is nothing wrong with missing your period all together.

Lack of period is what is supposed to happen while on Depo..it is not a side effect.

As far as my skin goes...depo has made it oilier...but I was prescribed Spironolactone and

it has cleared up my skin 99%!

So...clear skin...no period...no headaches...no cramps...no bloating...sex anytime...

doesn't sound like a bad life to me! :dance:

As far as Diane-35 goes...I had way more side effects and emotional psychotic turmoil

while on that BCP...it was horrible on my skin and made my acne worse.

All it did was make me feel crazy 80% of the time...It didn't work for me.

how about nuvaring?

http://www.nuvaring.com

It release hormones like the patch, but you wear it like a diaphragm.

I'm a big proponent of condoms because all hormonal BC turns me into an evil, husband hating bitch.

And umm.. cleanup is easier.

Holly,

All I gotta say is AMEN to that!

Mitzie,

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I hear ya about the "clean up". :shifty: Blechh

Thanks again ladies!

M

hi ladies!

I just wanted to let you know that my doctor said it is extremely important to have a period once evry three months to shed inner uterine cells. AT one pint wile on aleese i wasnt getting a period which i loved, although him not so much. i begged to stay on it and he said absolutly not, thats how you get uterine cancer and scar tissue. your period acutally sheds thickened epitheliem cells. i would not want to be skiping it altogether.Then again what the hell do i know?