Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stevie Lee

ACCUTANE HELP ME!!!!!!

My derm just told me that i am going on Accutane in a month or so. My acne isnt too bad but i have very deep scarring and cystic acne under my skin that wont go away unless i take it. I have a few questions and if anyone can answer any of them id love the help:

1) She said i have to get blood tests everymonth. Do you get used to this?

2) Which lotions and chap sticks should i stock up on?

3) are there other side effects besides dryness that are common?

4) has anyone NOT experienced very bad side effects? Or does it happen to everyone..?

5) She said ill have to fast before my blood tests. For how long? Does that mean eat nothing?!

6) Will it make the rest of my body dry too????

Thank yoU!!!!!!!

<3stevielee

just made my lips really dry and in winter, but not often id get dry skin just above my lips or below

gotta get blood tests because accutane can be harmfull to the liver

fasting is no big deal i think it requires like 12 hours max without food so id just have an early dinner the night before and then get my blood test first thing in the morning when i woke up before brekky

and yea youll get used to gettin blood tests. i remember my first one i fainted cause i looked at the needle. from then on i made sure i was laying down for every blood test

I use carmex on my lips and neutrogena moisturizer and i clean my skin with cetaphil, With all these things i havent had any real dry skin since i been using them and my lips have never cracked.

I havent had any bad side effects. just sleeping a bit more than usual, Ull be right

1) blood tests arent that bad, they are fairly quick and it doesnt hurt much, plus its only once a month so its not that bad

2) honestly this is the worst thing about accutane, i got extremely dry lips when i was on this crap and dry mouth, theres this stuff called Aquaphor you can buy it mostly anywhere, walmart etc. and it works very well with dry lips. make sure to put it on before you sleep cuz waking up with dry lips is very uncomfortable, drink lots of water also

3) i had some muscle and joint pains every once in awhile, but nothing unbearable

4) you definitely have dry lips and skin, everyone gets it

5) fasting isnt that big of a deal, just eat dinner sort of early, then go to bed, when you wake up go get the blood test. thats usually more than enough time. and yes fasting means nothing lol

6) when i was on it, it mainly effected my face

you'll be fine though, the worst thing about accutane is the dryness. but if you use mosturizers and aquaphor or some other chapstick on ur lips its bearable, also you cant drink alcohol lol i was in my freshman year of college when i was on this so you can imagine how much it sucked for me

aquaphor :wub:

my lips were so chapped at first and now they are softer than before i was on accutane. i put a thick coat on and just let it absorb for like a half hour and makes them so soft.

Congrats on getting accutane! Your skin condition sounds similar to mine - scarring and deep bumpy cysts that haven't gone away completely by using antibiotics & retin-a. I should be starting accutane this coming week! I've been reading accutane logs for a while now, and both my sisters were on accutane, so hopefully I have some good answers to your questions. Just remember everyone reacts differently and intensity of side effects can depend on your weight/dosage.

1) She said i have to get blood tests everymonth. Do you get used to this? - I've had 3 already. Just don't look at the needle and you'll be fine! It doesn't hurt at all, just look away and daydream.

2) Which lotions and chap sticks should i stock up on? - Aquafor and Dr. Dan's Cortibalm seem to be favorites around here. Aquafor is actually found with the lotions, not the chapsticks in the drugstore. I would suggest starting off with any deep moisturizing body lotion, maybe Aveeno? I don't have a fave yet since I'm not on accutane yet!

3) are there other side effects besides dryness that are common? - Some people experience joint pains, fatigue, blurry night vision, trouble wearing contacts, major sensitivity to sunlight.

4) has anyone NOT experienced very bad side effects? Or does it happen to everyone..? - everyone seems to be different. It's pretty inevitable you will experience some sort of side effects. Otherwise you won't know that the accutane is working!

5) She said ill have to fast before my blood tests. For how long? Does that mean eat nothing?! - If your blood tests are in the AM, just don't eat breakfast til after they're over. If it's really late in the day, say like 4 or 5, I would suggest eating something in the morning then try and fast til the test.

6) Will it make the rest of my body dry too???? Dry hands and legs seem to be common.. just keep em all moisturized and you're all good! Plus I've seen pics that people post of their dry skin, and although it may be bothersome to the person, it's not so horrible that people would be like "what the heck is wrong with that person?". Most people probably won't even notice.

Good luck!!!

1) blood tests arent that bad, they are fairly quick and it doesnt hurt much, plus its only once a month so its not that bad

2) honestly this is the worst thing about accutane, i got extremely dry lips when i was on this crap and dry mouth, theres this stuff called Aquaphor you can buy it mostly anywhere, walmart etc. and it works very well with dry lips. make sure to put it on before you sleep cuz waking up with dry lips is very uncomfortable, drink lots of water also

3) i had some muscle and joint pains every once in awhile, but nothing unbearable

4) you definitely have dry lips and skin, everyone gets it

5) fasting isnt that big of a deal, just eat dinner sort of early, then go to bed, when you wake up go get the blood test. thats usually more than enough time. and yes fasting means nothing lol

6) when i was on it, it mainly effected my face

you'll be fine though, the worst thing about accutane is the dryness. but if you use mosturizers and aquaphor or some other chapstick on ur lips its bearable, also you cant drink alcohol lol i was in my freshman year of college when i was on this so you can imagine how much it sucked for me

No alchohol?? Well good thing this is happening after my bros wedding. But what about Christmas!?! Oh jeeze..

Congrats on getting accutane! Your skin condition sounds similar to mine - scarring and deep bumpy cysts that haven't gone away completely by using antibiotics & retin-a. I should be starting accutane this coming week! I've been reading accutane logs for a while now, and both my sisters were on accutane, so hopefully I have some good answers to your questions. Just remember everyone reacts differently and intensity of side effects can depend on your weight/dosage.

1) She said i have to get blood tests everymonth. Do you get used to this? - I've had 3 already. Just don't look at the needle and you'll be fine! It doesn't hurt at all, just look away and daydream.

2) Which lotions and chap sticks should i stock up on? - Aquafor and Dr. Dan's Cortibalm seem to be favorites around here. Aquafor is actually found with the lotions, not the chapsticks in the drugstore. I would suggest starting off with any deep moisturizing body lotion, maybe Aveeno? I don't have a fave yet since I'm not on accutane yet!

3) are there other side effects besides dryness that are common? - Some people experience joint pains, fatigue, blurry night vision, trouble wearing contacts, major sensitivity to sunlight.

4) has anyone NOT experienced very bad side effects? Or does it happen to everyone..? - everyone seems to be different. It's pretty inevitable you will experience some sort of side effects. Otherwise you won't know that the accutane is working!

5) She said ill have to fast before my blood tests. For how long? Does that mean eat nothing?! - If your blood tests are in the AM, just don't eat breakfast til after they're over. If it's really late in the day, say like 4 or 5, I would suggest eating something in the morning then try and fast til the test.

6) Will it make the rest of my body dry too???? Dry hands and legs seem to be common.. just keep em all moisturized and you're all good! Plus I've seen pics that people post of their dry skin, and although it may be bothersome to the person, it's not so horrible that people would be like "what the heck is wrong with that person?". Most people probably won't even notice.

Good luck!!!

Thank you!!! So much help =)

Thank you all.