Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
haydini

accutane question

so ive been fighting acne all my life, but never could get it cause my cholesterol. its fairly high for my age...but heres the deal tomorrow im going to a new derm(he seems cool) and i was recently put on lipitor for my cholesterol. my question to you all is do you think he will see that im already on something to help with the cholesterol, and just let me start accutane now. being that i get blood work every couple of months for lipitor anyway?

I know you don't want to hear this...but if you have high cholesterol, acne is the least of your problems.

You should look at your diet to see why you have high cholesterol. In fact, it's very likely that the same things in your diet that are causing high cholesterol are also causing acne.

These things are probably processed carbohydrates. This mainly means sugar and bread. Sugar is found in nearly every processed food, so your best bet is to go all natural.

This means eat foods that only have one ingredient in them.

Examples of natural foods: Chicken, Broccoli, Almonds, Carrots, Eggs, Lettuce, Fish, Brown Rice, Whole Milk, Oatmeal

Examples of unnatural foods: Pizza, Fried Chicken, Bread, Ice Cream, Lasagna, Pasta, Cereal

I bet if you start changing your diet in a more natural direction, not only will your cholesterol normalize, but your acne will get much better too. Keep us updated!

I know you don't want to hear this...but if you have high cholesterol, acne is the least of your problems.

You should look at your diet to see why you have high cholesterol. In fact, it's very likely that the same things in your diet that are causing high cholesterol are also causing acne.

These things are probably processed carbohydrates. This mainly means sugar and bread. Sugar is found in nearly every processed food, so your best bet is to go all natural.

This means eat foods that only have one ingredient in them.

Examples of natural foods: Chicken, Broccoli, Almonds, Carrots, Eggs, Lettuce, Fish, Brown Rice, Whole Milk, Oatmeal

Examples of unnatural foods: Pizza, Fried Chicken, Bread, Ice Cream, Lasagna, Pasta, Cereal

I bet if you start changing your diet in a more natural direction, not only will your cholesterol normalize, but your acne will get much better too. Keep us updated!

How do processed carbohydrates cause high cholesterol? Am I missing something?

BAH HUMBUG. Mercola isn't what I consider a reputable source of information... However, anything that will raise triglycerides (simple sugars and alcohol included) will raise LDL... but so will trans fatty acids... like those found in many processed foods that contain hydrogenated oils, such as snack foods (Oreos have a lot) margarines and vegetable shortening. Cut those out.

BAH HUMBUG. Mercola isn't what I consider a reputable source of information... However, anything that will raise triglycerides (simple sugars and alcohol included) will raise LDL... but so will trans fatty acids... like those found in many processed foods that contain hydrogenated oils, such as snack foods (Oreos have a lot) margarines and vegetable shortening. Cut those out.

I agree about the Mercola thing. I would blame unhealthy fats in the diet before I'd look at high GI foods that raise insulin levels.........It's amazing what a diet consisting of healthy fats including Omega-3's, adequate fiber intake from fruits and veggies and grains (OMG!!! did she say grains???), and lean protein (very little red meat) can do to blood lipid levels......my cholesterol is only 123.......(61 LDL/62HDL) and my triglycerides are 36.......we'll see what Accutane will do to my almost perfect blood lipid levels.........I'm sure they won't stay so perfect............

Oh and I eat refined sugar.....a small amount, but I refuse to exclude it completely.....because I like it.....And sometimes I eat pasta, and ocassionally I eat bread.....GASP!!!!

I have about few teaspoons a day of sugar (included in fruit and from foods), sometimes a little more. I put a little in my coffee, and the rest comes from my food, and since I have a baking fetish (I'm actually pretty good)....sometimes I actually eat a little of what I bake......and I often use refined sugar in my baking....... :shock:

One thing that my diet lacks completely is hydrogenated fats, and even worse partially hydrogenated oils........when I cook I use a little butter with olive oil, never margarine.........

Oh and I excercise....a lot........

I agree about the Mercola thing. I would blame unhealthy fats in the diet before I'd look at high GI foods that raise insulin levels.........It's amazing what a diet consisting of healthy fats including Omega-3's, adequate fiber intake from fruits and veggies and grains (OMG!!! did she say grains???), and lean protein (very little red meat) can do to blood lipid levels......my cholesterol is only 123.......(61 LDL/62HDL) and my triglycerides are 36.......we'll see what Accutane will do to my almost perfect blood lipid levels.........I'm sure they won't stay so perfect............

Oh and I eat refined sugar.....a small amount, but I refuse to exclude it completely.....because I like it.....And sometimes I eat pasta, and ocassionally I eat bread.....GASP!!!!

I have about few teaspoons a day of sugar (included in fruit and from foods), sometimes a little more. I put a little in my coffee, and the rest comes from my food, and since I have a baking fetish (I'm actually pretty good)....sometimes I actually eat a little of what I bake......and I often use refined sugar in my baking....... :shock:

One thing that my diet lacks completely is hydrogenated fats, and even worse partially hydrogenated oils........when I cook I use a little butter with olive oil, never margarine.........

Oh and I excercise....a lot........

Yay LabGirl! Yes, I'm pretty much the same way. You can't take my sugar or my bread away from me, they're okay because they're not all I'm eating... But I have great cholesterol (not quite as excellent as yours, but well below the upper limit of normal) and I don't consume hydrogenated oils (okay, maybe once in a while, but a couple oreos a year hardly has an effect) and cook with olive oil (or *GASP* butter... though rarely because I don't like the taste).