Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soldier

Have any prescritpions worked for anyone?

I consider my everyday acne mild with an occasional moderate breakout but recently my face has been horrible and not sure whats going one. Was thinking of going to the doc and getting something prescribed but it seems like everyone on this site says nothing works. Does anyone know anyone or have success with any prescrition topical or pill. Im interested to know if ill be wasting my time or making things worse or if i have a chance at clear skin. I talked to mom about it she recomended tetracycline she said both her sisters had bad acne when they were in college and it worked for both of them and that was like 10 or more years ago...anyone??

There's a group of tetracycline antibiotics that work for a lot of people, though for a lot of us the effects were only temporary. The best alternative to Accutane (in my opinion, at least) is a topical retinoid. It's the same effect as Accutane but it's topical instead of systemic, so you don't have to worry about as many side effects. I've had good experience with them on my back and chest, and am starting Retin-A Micro 0.04% on my face.

What types of acne do people who usually dont have success with, like I said i have fairly mild acne sometimes during a bad breakout it could be called moderate but for the most part is mild. Do you think i would have a better chance of it working or does that have anything to do with it.

I recently realized that it seems alot of people making posts and replys have serious acne and so some of the products that werent strong enough for them may work for me ive just never trid. My acne is mild but persistent i need somethign stronger than otc products to kick it.

Im nervous about topicals because everyone says they dont work or make their faces worse or really red or flaky, since i have mild acne i dont want it to get worse by using a topical but then again i dont know becuase if people with mild acne have had success they tend not to be posting here so i cant really get feedback.

I mean think about it, there could be lots of people that have had success with it and just dont post here becuase they are clear. I mean this message board really isnt that many people and there are millions that have had acne at some time so i wonder if there are poeple that have had success and just never thought to come here because they are clear.

Am I making sense? I dont know i am willing to try an antibiotic or cream or something im just scared of turning my mild acne worse based on some of the posts on this site?

rite now i been using differin for about 4 weeks and on the 3rd week...most of my black heads went away. so im happy about that...2 days ago i started taking b5..because b5 actually works for me, it reduces my oil alot. and im seeing improvment doing that already.

Sorry to sink your boat but that's just your self-conscience.

B5 is bs man, doesn't work for anyone, you take it for so long your acne just has to go away with time.

Cephelexin (an antibiotic) and Retin A have worked for me to an extent. I still break out a little, like 1-3 tiny pimples a week. but they have mostly cleared me up. Now I just have to deal with red marks. I don't know what to think about cephalexin though. It has worked wonders for my skin but antibiotics are not a long term solution. I'm afraid I'm going to break out badly again one I quit using Kflex.

Using Retin-A 0.025% and Minocin worked for about 4 years (age 15-19). At 15-16, the effects were great and I had many compliments from complete strangers on my skin. Around 17, acne slowly came back. I couldn't find an another antibiotic that worked on me.

Then I went on Accutane at age 23.

After acne started coming back, I began using Retin-A Micro 0.1%, which worked for about a year or two.

Now I am on Accutane again at age 30.

Benzaclin + Retin A = Worked well for me. There are proven studies and stats out there that say this is a very good combo. It includes all of the major topicals bp, antibiotic, and retinoid.

I pretty much used it up until going on accutane, but I must say that accutane is getting rid of EVERYTHING, rather than just controlling it.

K