Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
natalia321

Cutting in half an accutane pill

just curious if anyone knew if cutting an accutane pill in half is safe or not. those things are really big...

That begs a question I've always had... are they capsules (cylindrical gelatin-covered things) or tablets (like your standard aspirin)? I imagine capsules... cutting a capsule in half is no good, they're usually filled with a powder so you'd waste some of the drug (and taste it on the way down... yuck). Tablets are ok to cut in half, and there are little devices you can buy at a drugstore that will do it pretty neatly.

just curious if anyone knew if cutting an accutane pill in half is safe or not. those things are really big...

this would be ill advised considering there is liquid inside. at least this is what i found out with the generic brand. i popped it open by accident and liquid gel was inside. also it might mess with time release.

Hi Natalia321. Well a member here was posting that she read you could cut open the pill (Can't remember the product brand she read it on) then pour the liquid onto a food like ice cream... So I read my product info and informed you not do this since it would case harm going down. Good luck.

Hi Natalia321. Well a member here was posting that she read you could cut open the pill (Can't remember the product brand she read it on) then pour the liquid onto a food like ice cream... So I read my product info and informed you not do this since it would case harm going down. Good luck.

yup iv read in my ipledge book that you should just take them and not suck or chew them becuase the stuff inside will damage your esophagus. the outside is a protective layer so this dosent happen

TylerV said:

why dont people just swallow it, im sure you'd lost a bit from opening it up and putting it on food, not to mention it would be a ballbreaker, people that cant swallow pills are [censored].

Edited by Control Panel
Inappropriate language

Yeah, that might have been me. I'm a pharmacy student and taking this directly from my lexi-comp drug information handbook, "Capsules can be swallowed, or chewed and swallowed. The capsule may be opened with a large needle and the contents placed on applesauce or ice cream for patients unable to swallow the capsule. Whole capsules should be swallowed with a full glass of liquid."

I think the esophageal damage happens when the capsule is stuck in your throat, and the contents slowly ooze out. If you wash it down with something, you're fine.

DO NOT *********** DO NOT **************************** CUT YOUR PILL IN HALF!!!!!

THE MEDICINE CONTAINED INSIDE CAN BURN AND EVEN DESTROY YOUR THROAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ~~~~!!! DO NOT CUT IT IN HALF!!