Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tap

Glycolic acid peel vs Glycolic acid cream or moisturizer

I use Neutrogena healthy skin lotion that has 8% glycolic acid. I've been using it for 3 weeks, once a day, and my marks are slowly fading away nicely.

So I ask, what's the difference between using a moisturizer or cream with an 8% to 12% concentration of glycolic acid once a day every day, and a 20% to 30% glycolic acid peel once or twice a week.

It seems to me using the lower concentration every day would be just as effective if not more effective at fading marks. The constant exfoliation will slowly but surely do the trick. This avoids the risks and scabs that can form from the peels that can happen if you do it the wrong way, or if you do a 50% ga peel and leave it on for 45 minutes. :confused:

Doing the math, 8% glycolic acid for 1 week amounts to putting 56% weekly with evenly distributed doses. This doesn't include all the vitamins that they put in the moisturizer which only serve to help your facial skin. It seems like a safer and more efficient method to heal marks then putting on 30% acid. What do you all think?

or if you do a 50% ga peel and leave it on for 45 minutes.

:( Haha. Just let it go, Tap.

You're right, though. I used to do weekly glycolic peels and always ended up with little scabs. I stopped because I didn't want to risk burning myself even though my marks were improving. Anyway... I switched to a glycolic moisturizer about a week ago, and it's definately just as effective as a weekly peel. Not to mention it's a whole lot safer.

:( Haha. Just let it go, Tap.

You're right, though. I used to do weekly glycolic peels and always ended up with little scabs. I stopped because I didn't want to risk burning myself even though my marks were improving. Anyway... I switched to a glycolic moisturizer about a week ago, and it's definately just as effective as a weekly peel. Not to mention it's a whole lot safer.

:lol: I know, I was just joking.

I'm glad the moisturizer is helping you. That's why I don't see the difference. Does anyone know if there is any benefit in choosing a peel over a cream?

Doing the math, 8% glycolic acid for 1 week amounts to putting 56% weekly with evenly distributed doses.

LOL, no, it doesn't. The only thing you might be able to argue that it's equivalent to is an amount of lotion seven times as large as your normal nightly amount...but both of which consist of 8% GA. But yes, if you put that monster week-long-application-sized blob of lotion on your face all at once, it would have seven times the amount of GA as the one-night application. Short of messing with the formula, though, you're not going to change the fact that NHSFL is 8% GA. It's 8% GA no matter how much you put on your skin!

Well, what I meant was if you use 8% once a day and 7 times a week, it's additive totalling up to 56% if you thought of it like that. Obviously, the strength is not 56% though.

This is as opposed to using 50% once a week.

Well, what I meant was if you use 8% once a day and 7 times a week, it's additive totalling up to 56% if you thought of it like that. Obviously, the strength is not 56% though.

This is as opposed to using 50% once a week.

No, it still doesn't work like that, you can't just add up percentages. And even with the percentages, you can only compare the amount of glycolic acid delivered to the skin knowing a) how much of the glycolic lotion you use each night and b) how much of the peel solution you use each week. If you told me, "Well I use such and such many ounces of GA moisturizer each night and such and such many ounces of the GA peel each week,", then you might be able to compare the amounts of GA (or equate them and experiment with which form is more effective).

It was a metaphor. I know that you don't literally put 56% acid on your face with the moisturizer.

Besides, I don't see why it wouldn't be additive.

Example:

You use a lotion that is 1/2 ga. You use it twice, you have used 1/2 ga + 1/2 ga = 2/2 ga put on your face.

You use 1/2 ga * 7 times you get 7/2 ga used, which is more than just 1/2 ga used.

What's wrong with the math?

It was a metaphor. I know that you don't literally put 56% acid on your face with the moisturizer.

Besides, I don't see why it wouldn't be additive.

Example:

You use a lotion that is 1/2 ga. You use it twice, you have used 1/2 ga + 1/2 ga = 2/2 ga put on your face.

You use 1/2 ga * 7 times you get 7/2 ga used, which is more than just 1/2 ga used.

What's wrong with the math?

If you use a 50% GA product twice, you will not be using 100% GA--you will be using twice your usual amount of 50% GA. You will be using the same amount of GA as if you had used a 100% GA product once (that is, if you use the 100% GA in the same quantity that you had first used the 50% GA product). But stilll, here, the you see that these percentage comparisions are quanitity-dependent--to have the same amount of GA on your skin, you have to use exactly twice as much of the 50% product as you do of the 100% product. My point is that to use the same amount of GA each week, you'd have to use the same volume (or is it mass they use to compute the percent?) of a 56% peel solution on your face once a week as you would of Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion each night. So you can see that just using a 56% peel solution won't necessarily deliver the same amount of GA to your face that you do throughout the week with NHSFL because it depends on how much you use.

Guest papillon

I use an 8% glycolic acid toner and a 4% glycolic acid foaming face wash from Neostrata.

I think being gentle and having a regular routine is the best way. 20%-30% glycolic acid peels feel scary and may make you scar from acid burns.

If you use a 50% GA product twice, you will not be using 100% GA--you will be using twice your usual amount of 50% GA. You will be using the same amount of GA as if you had used a 100% GA product once (that is, if you use the 100% GA in the same quantity that you had first used the 50% GA product). But stilll, here, the you see that these percentage comparisions are quanitity-dependent--to have the same amount of GA on your skin, you have to use exactly twice as much of the 50% product as you do of the 100% product. My point is that to use the same amount of GA each week, you'd have to use the same volume (or is it mass they use to compute the percent?) of a 56% peel solution on your face once a week as you would of Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion each night. So you can see that just using a 56% peel solution won't necessarily deliver the same amount of GA to your face that you do throughout the week with NHSFL because it depends on how much you use.

So in a way we are both right. You are right what you said above. I thought about it and was about to say it. The actual solution is 8% ga but is quantity dependent. The more lotion you put on, obviously the more glycolic acid you are putting on your skin.

To my original point, the amount of lotion used per day for the week of glycolic acid could be similar to using a 50% glycolic acid peel once a week. You may even be putting more glycolic acid from the moisturizer if you use more pumps. In this way, you can be using the same amount but in smaller dosages so as not to get the same side effects as an all in one kind of thing.

To say you are using 56% is incorrect, since the solution is still only 8% glycolic acid.