Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BethK

Beth's Journal...~The Chronicles of ACCUTANE~!

Day One

Is it really Day One? After all this waiting? Crazy.

A little history on my skin situation...

I started breaking out in high school, mild to moderate acne mostly just around my mouth. Bactrim kept it under control for a few years. Then one day, my skin decided to stop responding to it. :mad: So I entered college with the breakouts emerging in all of their glory...yuck! I've spent my entire freshman and sophomore year of college going through every topical cream and oral acne medication you can imagine. Nothing has worked! The acne is still just mild to moderate concentrated only around the mouth and chin, but I'm tired of caking on the make-up. So let's do this! :dance:

Tonight I took 40 mgs. I'll start taking 60 mgs/day tomororw, with the plan of eventually upping it to 80. That seems like so much! My acne isn't THAT awful...but my derm likes to take the "aggressive approach." :eh: I'm a little scared! But I can't wait to have clear skin.

Soo...here we go!

hi there!

i hope for all the best while you are on accutane, i myself have just started 4 days ago so we are not too distant in beginning! Although you are on a higher dosage so will be interesting to see how fast you notice a difference etc, where ive already started to notice my face starting to peel in places like ive had sun burn or something similar.

anyway gl and i look forward to following your progress! :D

i hope you clear 100% with accutane, wish you the best luck.

just dont get stressed like me, im having my Ib at month 2.. so.. just be patient.

btw, you look gorgeous on your gallery, reminds me of my ex gf :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

mada- thanks so much, i will definitely be keeping up with your log too!

koala- you are too sweet. :D good luck getting through the IB!

Day Two

La dee da. Well, nothing new. I feel like I'm hearing my bones cracking every two seconds, but I could just be a little paranoid.

I just want it to be six months from now and have the whole thing be over! I feel like that little kid in the backseat of the car that keeps repeating, "Are we there yet?"

I was paranoid when i started to i thought every stomach growl every little ache in my body and every hair falling out was due to accutane :/. Just got to slap urself into reality :P

Woo Hoo Beth! Congrats on starting Accutane, I wish you the best of luck! :D That's awesome you're on 60 mg like me, I think my derm is putting me at 80 towards the end also :) I don't think my acne is all that bad either..but oh well if my derm wants to take the aggresive route then I don't mind, as long as this acne never comes back! :cool:

Yah, I'm going to be starting on 60mg tomorrow--hopefully "aggressive" isn't some euphemism for "hell," eh? ;)

Well, good luck to you. Hopefully we'll both have a relatively smooth ride.

hey i;m in month 5 and its working WONDERS for me! :D and nothing worked for me either...cream gel, you name it. dont worry, clear skin will be here soon!

Day Five

I have been a horrible updater! This week has been kind of crazy. I'm in college but I moved back home with my parents for a few months, and now I'm moving out again...so this is definitely an exciting week! I got the keys to my new apartment yesterday, and spent all day today painting. My roommate is one of my really good friends and I'm so glad to be living with her. She doesn't know about the Accutane, I never feel comfortable discussing my skin openly because I'm so embarassed...but I'm sure I'll tell her eventually. I'm pretty exhausted right now and I swear I am NEVER painting again- I never realized how much work it was- but I wanted to do an update before bed!

Honestly, I'm still not feeling really any side effects. I'm almost afraid to say that because I fear I might jinx the situation and then end up with the worst side effects ever. So, knock on wood, hope that doesn't happen.

Skin condition hasn't changed much, some pimples are drying up while some new ones emerge. A change that I've probably noticed the most is that my face feels sort of flushed sometimes and my cheeks look a little redder than usual when I examine my face without make up on. But am I just being paranoid? I'm aware of sooo many side effects that this medication can cause, but I don't want to get crazy with it and think that everything that happens to me now is from the Accutane. I don't want to hiccup and be like, "Ughh, freaking Accutane." lol

Hmmm- I've been really good so far about toning down any kind of psychosomatic thought patterns. I'm expecting dry lips eventually, but I'm not going to assume that I'll start feeling joint aches and headaches and disruptions in sleep...because you can definitely inflict those things on yourself if you think it enough.

Dana- We sound like we're probably in the same boat with the mild to moderate acne and a fairly high dosage of the Accutane! Seriously, this medication is going to kick the acne's butt and it will never come back. I can't wait to read our posts five months from now!

amId- Good luck to you too! We've both started within the same week so I'll definitely keep up with your log to see how you're doing. :)

Lvig- Your journal was the first that I read when I discovered this site, and it convinced me to want to take accutane! I've read all about your adventure...and you look GREAT! Again, I can't wait to see how things will turn out for me and everyone else who just started Accutane. I think we'll all be very, very happy. :)

Hi Beth!

Congrats on starting accutane!! I hope you get perfectly clear skin :)

As for the side effects - I was so psycho about them so I know what you mean. I knew ahead of time what could/might happen so I was preparing myself. But I think I overprepared almost. I was so paranoid and every little thing that happened I was nervous it was related to accutane. So my advice would be to try and relax and go about everything completely normal. I forgot sometimes that I'm even on it now! But in the beginning I was anxiously *waiting* for the dry lips/skin.

Good luck moving back in to college! I'm so jealous I wish I was still in college!!

Have a great day!

Kristen :)

Hi Beth, I can't wait to watch you progress on your way to clear skin :cool: I am starting around the end of August, that is, as long as Ipledge doesn't mess me up. It already seems to be a huge hassle and I don't think my derm's office knows too much of anything about ipledge!! Oh well, it will happen soon enough. Good luck!

I hope your skin becomes clear in no time. Just like the other posters, accutane treatment is a two-step forward one step-backward journey. There will be bumpy road ahead, but do not lose hope and everything will turn out for the best. I'm 45 days in, and I can see great results. I wonder what can happen after 5 months? :think:

Hey Beth! Welcome to the wonderful world of 'tane! :dance: Like your derm, mine also likes the 'aggressive' approach - I started on 60mg and was upped to 80 after about a month. The dose was WAY higher than I was expecting but all of the side effects have been tolerable.

Good luck to you! :)

Tanya

Whats up Beth? Today was the first day I started to feel chapped & we started the same night. Just wondering if you did too? I'm on 40 mg/day.

hi beth....

best of luck with the accutane.... wow going to 80mg seems like A LOT for someone your size. That's a huge dose. I'm 190 lbs and only taking 60mg! Anyway, that'll certainly knock the wind out of your acne, that's for sure. Only, in looking at your gallery, you definitely don't look like a girl who needs 80mg of Accutane ....... I really do think there is something to that correlation between cuteness and acne! ;)

good luck....

Day Nine

Finally, an update!

I am officially moved into my new apartment. Unfortunately it took the cable/internet company a long time to get out here and hook everything up, so I've been without the internet for awhile. But now that my computer is fully functional I should have no problem updating this log regularly!

Okay, side effects. My face is definitely red. Make-up will cover it pretty well, it really just looks like a mild sunburn. It's definitely not the most attractive look in the world...but I'll manage.

My lips are drying out a little bit too. :cry: Darn. This is going to be really annoying. My skin doesn't look too bad overall though, I've only gotten like one new pimple over the last week. However I am definitely afraid of an IB. My derm said that it usually happens around day 10 and she made it sound like it was going to be absolutely horrible and make me want to cry and never leave my bedroom. :|

Oh, and something bad....I MISSED A DOSE! Ahhhh...how irresponsible of me. I didn't take my 40 mgs last night. :cry: My friends and I were having a "wine and cheese party" where we dressed up in little cocktail dresses and...well, drank wine and ate cheese. We aren't usually that sophisticated so it was just a fun little thing to do. I was so busy getting ready that I completely forgot to take my medicine! And I knew I wasn't coming home last night. I have to make sure that absolutely never happens again.

sundance32- Thanks for the good wishes! I'm also just going about my life normally and most of the time I forget that I'm even on this medication.

Redsoxluva- That's awesome that you'll be starting the tane in August! It's so annoying to have to deal with all this Ipledge stuff. I should have told the derm that I got my tubes tied.

makopa- Congrats on seeing results already in only 45 days!! Hopefully I'll be that lucky.

Tanya- That is definitely reassuring! Thanks :) I'm not sure if my derm wanted to up me to 80 mgs soon or just at the very end of the treatment...I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

DJ Paul- I'm definitely starting to tell that my lips are drying out. I have a feeling that it will probably only get worse. :eh:

Day Eleven

Double digits! Well, nothing really new. My face is red and my skin is drying out, so my make-up doesn't look too hot when I put it on and it starts flaking. Ew.

My skin has actually been pretty good in terms of breakouts though. I've only had a few new little pimples ever since I started this medication! I don't have bad acne right now at all. I'm still terrified of an IB.

Oh, and I looked at pictures from the Wine & Cheese Party I went to on Saturday...red face!! Ahh...I'm embarassed. I just can't wait for this to be over.

Hey Beth at least it's still summertime so you can blame the red face on being out in the sun too long ;)

Today one of my friends saw me and asked me if I'd been laying out by the pool.

So I said no.

Then she asked, "Oh, did you just go to the tanning bed or something?" (I know she wasn't trying to be rude...but my face is red!!)

I kind of looked down at my feet and said, "Um...yeah awhile ago, I think." And then changed the subject.

I don't enjoy lying but what was I supposed to say.... :dance: "Actually, it's because I'm on ACCUTANE!!" :dance:

Does anyone know if this redness will go away, or is this something that I'll be dealing with through the whole course??

Hey Beth,

I started just 3 days before you on 30 mg. Tomorrow, I'm going to up it to 40 mg! I'll be keeping track of your log, just to see how things are. Aren't you just WAITING to start 2007 on a clearer, happier note? I know I am :)

Good luck with everything,

CG

I can't stand how my skin will be flaky once I put makup on it either, I actually think it looks better without, but I put it on for my red marks (the scars). I'm glad to hear your skin has been behaving and I'm sorry about the red face, my skin will get like that too and everyone tells me I look like I have a sunburn :confused:

Day Fifteen

No good very bad day.

Excuse my melodrama. It's Saturday night and I really wish that I were out with my friends right now, but I opted instead to stay inside. Why? Because my face is broken out again. I won't go out like this.

I'm not really sure if this is a little bit of an IB, or just a normal breakout...after all, it is around that time of the month (attn boys: pretend like you didn't just read that.) But my skin had been doing so well ever since I started tane! Oh well, I guess I was bound to break out again sometime.

So here's an update on the current situation: Face is suddenly broken out around my mouth and upper left cheek with random kind of large zits. Lips have been doing okay, but probably only b/c I keep aquaphor on them constantly. The red sunburnt look seems to have gotten a little better. And....I just noticed literally five minutes ago, my nose is bleeding a little bit! Nooo!

I've had better days.

Day 27

Wow, talk about being a bad updater! It takes awhile for any new developments to occur so I decided not to even try and update everyday, there wouldn't be always be anything interesting to report.

The breakout that I was whining about in my last update went away pretty quickly, and I haven't gotten any new ones since. :dance::dance: Yay!

I'm still not feeling too pretty though. My face is mildly pink and I feel like the texture of my skin has changed a little bit and make-up does not stay on well at all! :mad: And I'm so pale!! No sun or tanning beds lately. :(

Lips get dry pretty easily, but I usually keep Aquaphor or Carmex on them so it's not really a big issue.

My most recent side effect was kind of unexpected....I officially have the hands of an 80 yr old woman!! :wacko::wacko: The skin all over my hands is dry and flaky, I'm shedding skin like a reptile. My knuckles are also scabbing and cracking a little bit. I wore a ring the other day and the pressure of the ring rubbing against my finger all night caused my skin to break and bleed a little bit. It's annoying but tolerable. Is this happening to anybody else?

Oh, and good news! I still haven't experienced any IB. Unless my day 15 breakout was an IB...but that was so mild. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones. Maybe? I don't want to speak too soon. Knock on wood.

Almost finished with month one- exciting!! I'm so glad that I'm finally doing this! My derm appointment is on Monday and my bloodwork looks normal. I was kind of nervous about it because I had drank a couple nights before and wasn't really sure how that would affect things. I know, bad. :naughty:

How does everyone else's experience compare to mine so far? I'm curious! Leave me comments, it makes me happy.

Thanks for stopping by!! I wish I'd started college on a clear note.. but oh well.. after winter break.. i'm going to be CLEARR (Well I hopse so!!). I'm just going to look forward to that! Just keep lathering on the moisturizer. I've been using Cetaphil Cream and I think so far it's doing me good. The coconut oil helped my hair too.. it just become really soft and nice. Oh and also get yourself a good deep conditioner!!! College for me starts in 3 weeks. We're on the quarter system! I know that once I get there I'll stop obssessing about my skin because you just don't have the time.. so that's good. Maybe one day I'll just wake up to clear skin and be like - Wow... when did that happen? Lol!!!!