Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apple_Blossem

Other vegetarians/vegans on this site?

Hi,

Are there other vegetarians/vegans who are on this site looking for acne help.

Are there any people here TRYING to go vegetarian? ;) hehe

I'm a veggie who is almost vegan.

I am vegetarian and working on becoming vegan for health reasons :).

Any others?

===============================================

Some good vegetarian sites:

http://www.TryVeg.com <--info about protein, calcium, iron, the environment, the animals, etc :)

http://www.VeganForum.com <--vegan nutrition advice. A huge message board. :)

http://www.Meat.org <--- 10-minute, streaming FREE documentary about your meat before it gets to you.

Free 15-min health movie on the vegetarian diet: http://www.movieflix.com/movie_info.mfx?movie_id=2044

I'm semi vegetarian, I eat the ideal vegetarian diet heavy on legumes, whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies, tofu/tempeh/miso/soy sauce, sometimes seeds too, spirulina, etc. But I also eat fish very occassionaly for health reasons, and I'll have chicken once in awhile and red meat on holidays. All in all I eat fish once a week or less, and chicken a few times a month probably. I have no desire to go 100 percent vegetarian though.

About 4 months ago I went to a vegan diet, but will occasionally eat fish or eggs (if I'm at a restaurant that doesnt have a filling or satisfying vegan option). My diet is pretty bland because I also dont eat gluten, and even found that rice pasta broke me out!!! I think it's basically any food that causes my blood sugar to rise quickly, i.e. high glycemic index.

Are you looking for recipe or diet suggestions?

I eat like a vegetarian, but with a bunch of lean beef, chicken, salmon, and fish pills. I wouldn't go vegetarian or vegan for health/finanial reasons. I have a history of iron deficency anemia, and red meats help. Fish is a very economical way to get DHA. Body building would be pretty damn hard with a vegan diet because I wouldn't be able to eat meat, eggs, whey, casein, fish, and the soy substitute lowers testosterone count.

Check out these vegetarian and vegan athletes. Its nice to know we arent alone ;).

Sally Eastall (Marathon runner - UK No 2, vegan)

Dr. Ruth Heidrich (3-time Ironman finisher, marathoner (vegan)

Jack LaLanne (Fitness guru) (vegan)

Katherine Monbiot (world champion arm wrestler and nutritionist) (vegan)

Dave Scott (five time winner of the Ironman Triathlon) (vegan)

Lucy Stephens (triathlete - vegan)

Carl Lewis ( ten x Olympic winner) vegan

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

My best friend is a bodybuilder and he uses Lentils for protein. They have 28 grams of protein per half cup. They are very low in fat.

Then there are the movie stars who are vegetarian:

Orlando Bloom

Dustin Hoffman

Princess Diana

Queen Sofia (of Spain)

Natalie Portman

Joaquin Phoenix (vegan)

Jerry Seinfeld

Clint Eastwood

Shania Twain (vegan)

Alec Baldwin (vegan)

Tobey Maguire

Kim Basinger

Bryan Adams (vegan)

Lenny Kravitz

Julia Stiles

Josh Hartnett

Liv Tyler

Michael J. Fox

Coretta Scott King

Jorja Fox (CSI)

Leonardo diCaprio

Leonard Nimoy

Vanessa Williams

Anne Hathaway (Princess Diaries)

David Duchovny

Pamela Anderson (vegan)

River Phoenix

James Cromwell (Babe) (vegan)

Candice Bergen

B.B. King

Hayley Mills

Sir Ian McKellen

Paul McCartney (vegan)

Julie Christie (Dr. Zhivalgo)

Alyssa Milano

Brigitte Bardot

Darryl Hannah

Gwyneth Paltrow

Jackie Chan

Alicia Silverstone (vegan)

Anthony Perkins (Psycho)

Woody Harelson

Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween)

Richard Gere

Reese Witherspoon

Moby (vegan)

Christie Brinkley

Ricki Lake

Steve Martin (Commedian)

Billy Idol (singer)

Kate Bush (singer)

Ted Danson

William Shatner (StarTrek)

Lisa Kudrow (Friends)

John Lennon

Yoko Ono

Paul McCartney (vegan)

Linda McCartney

Heather Mills McCartney (vegan)

Ringo Starr

Barbara Bach

Chelsea Clinton

Don Mclean ("American Pie")

Keenan Ivory Wayens (vegan)

Peter Cushing

Benjamin Spock (vegan)

Jane Goodall

Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers)

"Weird" Al Yankovic (vegan)

Marina Sirtis (Star Trek)

Mary Tyler Moore

Marilu Henner

Meredith Baxter

Bob Barker (The Price is Wrong)

Amy Ray (Indigo Girls)

Grace Slick

Steve Vai

Joan Baez (folk singer)

Paula Cole

George Harrison (Beatles)

Desmond Howard

Edwin Moses

Martina Navratilova

Oleg Casini

Oliver Stone (director)

Vegetarian body builders isn't much harder than normal ones because most use whey as a primary source of protein. But Vegan is very difficult and expensive. I need about 200 grams of complete protein, and I can't eat meat, whey, casein, eggs, etc. What economical and healthy source is there? I can't eat soy, because it is estrogenic and would be counterproductive. I'm not genetically blessed, so I've got to get every optimization possible otherwise I'll get nowhere.

I respect your diet and everything, but don't associate meat with unhealthy.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=f...ce&dbid=141

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=f...ce&dbid=116

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=f...ce&dbid=104

I became vegetarian after watching www.meat.org.

Here is some info I found on news sites:

Eliminate meat-eating and you eliminate....

All General maladies and diseases by 40% - according to Physicians of General Medicine

Heart Disease by 80% (Heart Attacks!), says the American Heart Disease Association

Colon Cancer by 60% and other cancers by 40%! -says the American Cancer Society

Osteoporosis by 80% (animal protein has so much sulfur that it litterally disolves bones in the blood stream.) --says Physicians Ass. of Responsible Medicine

Reverse Diabetes by 40%, according to the American Diabetes Association

Here are other news articles:

A meat & dairy free diet reverses Diabetes and improves kidney function.

Arcticle found here: http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/28/vegan...reut/index.html

95% of the meat in America comes from Factory Farmed animals, not from the cattle you see grazing happily by the road. The Factory farms have actually almost knocked everyone who believed in the "natural method" out of buisness.

70% of chicken have cancer, if factory farmed -- McDonald's, Krogers, Myers, Walmart chicken. Chickens are born and raised in darkness, to save lighting money. They have their toes and beaks cut off as chicks (no anesthetics). There are no vets... They raise 80,000 birds in one warehouse -- 8 birds per wire cage - one caged stacked on the next... with the manure falling on the birds below (so they give them more antibiotics. The meat is FILLED with antibiotics. Can you imagine a bird eating tons of antibiotics every day of his life? If this was the lifestyle of a bird I found who died naturally, I'd say that this was a disease ridden corpse... and to not think about eating it.

30% of cows have pus-filled lesions and tumerous cancers when they are slaughtered. There are no vets to even evaluate the health of the cow. Workers have 25 minutes to turn the cow into a hamburger. They scrape off all External lesions and turmors, but they dont have time to go hunting on the inside. This is true: Meat from cattle with pus-filled lesions and cancerous tumors are marked "USDA Pure."

Its easy to see why so many cows would have tumors and other strange maladies: They are never allowed to exercise so that their meat is very tender. Calves are taken at birth and put in tiny crates (so tiny they cannot turn around or walk). They are fed a diet which induces anemia and their muscles atrophy after six months. They cannot walk when taken to slaughter (dragged by ropes).

Why are the factory farmed cattle sick? They are fed a staple food of 30% baking soda to save money, cow and pig brains (this is how Mad Cow Disease got started), ground feathers, dried blood, appetite stimulants, pesticides and antibiotic-laden water (because there are no vets). All of these chemicals lodge in the tissue of the animals. So everyday for 40+ years we are eating some extremely sick animals - and this is not healthy.

Also, in the article "They Die Piece By Piece," the Washington Post stated that 30% of all slaughter animals (farm-factory or free-range, because they share the same slaughter houses) are skinned and dismembered alive - while franticaly mooing and looking around. Found here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?p...p;notFound=true

hi there-

i'm vegan, but not for health reasons (i just tend to feel a tremendous amount of guilt when consuming/using animal products- i'm sure if i grew up on a farm that this wouldn't be an issue for me, but whatever- that was just a succinct and incomplete explanation of my lifestyle choice, mostly to provide somewhat of a context...anyway)-

honestly, despite my efforts to eat as healthy as possible within the parameters of a vegan diet, i do struggle with "failure to thrive" issues- i eat a good assortment of fruits and veggies, nuts, seeds, whole grains and legumes (with supplements for b-12, omega-3's from flax, etc)- i stay away from processed soy products (b/c they wreak havoc on my digestive system, AND, i avoid highly processed foods as much as possible)- okay, so what's the point of this incessant rambling? well, physically, i never feel all that great- i'm lethargic most of the time, with pretty constant headaches, etc- so, i mean, i believe that a diet more evolutionarily consistant with my physiology would be conducive to optimal health (i.e. high-quality, lean meats, fruits, some root and leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds), but my "discomfort" with consuming meat, etc. supersedes optimal health for me-

anyway, i have no idea if that presents any coherent contribution to the discussion at hand, but it does respresent one line of reasoning- i don't justify my diet with any argument beyond "it's what makes my most mentally 'comfortable'"-

okay, i'll stop now ;)

Hi there, welcome :)

Its always nice to meet different people. Hmm, your post sounded interesting. Headaches? I'm going to guess that you dont drink Diet Sodas that contain asparatame. Do you? Asparatame causes 92 different health problems, including moodiness, sluggishness, birth defects, migraines, etc.

I became vegetarian because of the animals. However, I am becoming vegan because after a ton of research, I believed it was a healthier choice.

I have lots of questions for you so don't go away! How many years have you been vegetarian and vegan -- and when did you start noticing that you didn't feel good?

Are you consuming foods with the 3 Omega oils? And have you made sure you are getting vitamin b5 (I take it in nutrional yeast in my salsa (tastes like cheese!)). Have you been to http://www.veganforum.com ? There are 2,000 vegans there who are very active...and post your question. They'll disect your diet and talk about it with you a lot!!

Also, I know this is extremely contrary to your beliefs, I would go find a nice farmer who has a few chickens who happily look for worms outside ad see if I could buy a few of his eggs. I would eat one of those... every few days...and see if your health goes back to normal. If it does, then you will know that you are lacking the Omega 3's... and there are many other substitutions for them. You wouldn't have to feel guilty about eating the unfertilized eggs... from chickens that are very happy :):)

And, have you compared your diet with other vegans? Talked to other vegans? Check out that website!

Hi Apple Blossem,

you mentioned lentils for protein earlier on, but what are these like for acne? I'm trying to find new sources of protein so i'd be interested in trying these.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm just wondering are there other vegetarians/vegans who are on this site looking for acne help.

Are there any people here TRYING to go vegetarian? ;) hehe

I'm a veggie who is almost vegan.

My boyfriend is also vegetarian and is working on becoming vegan for health reasons :).

I'm from Alaska...

Any others?

I'm a vegetarian. I guess leaning more towards a semi-vegetarian because I am willing to eat fish every couple of months (it's so great for skin and hair!), but I don't eat any pork, chicken, beef, etc.

Lentils are like peas, but are loaded with lots of protein. 24grams per half cup.

They are very good for the health - they are a vegetable. There is no problem between lentils and acne.

=================================================

Here are some very good sources of protein, calcium and iron sources:

Protein: almonds, black beans, brown rice, cashews, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, peanut butter, pinto beans, seitan, soybeans, soymilk, sunflower seeds, textured vegetable protein (TVP), tofu, vegetarian hot dogs and burgers

Iron: black beans, bran flakes, cashews, Cream of Wheat®, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), GrapeNuts®, kidney beans, lentils, navy beans, oatmeal, pumpkin seeds, raisins, soybeans, soymilk, spinach, sunflower seeds, tofu, tomato juice, whole wheat bread

Calcium: almonds, black beans, broccoli, calcium-fortified orange juice, collard greens, great northern beans, kale, kidney beans, mustard greens, navy beans, orange juice, pinto beans, sesame seeds, soybeans, soymilk, textured vegetable protein (TVP), tofu

=======================================================

If you want more info, check out http://www.TryVeg.com

=======================================================

As for eating fish, I just finished reading a book about all the toxins that fish have in them... and I always see medical websites that state that pregnant women should not eat fish because of loading the baby up with so many toxins.

The news always says "FISH IS HEALTHY!!!!! BUT DONT EAT IT IF YOU ARE PREGNANT!!!" So, it contradicts itself?

The DDT levels in fish -- and hundreds of other chemicals-- that we have been dumping into the sea are being consumed by fish. I think the fish companies are wanting us to buy and eat their fish, so we are being told to eat it. But then, doctors are warning to decease the level of fish we are eating and are always warning "Dont eat fish if you are pregant."

The reason fish is so healthy is because of the Omega 3 oils. But, Omega 3 oils are also found n plant sources and can be purchased at the store without buying the fish :).

When I put down my book about the toxicities in fish and then read your post, I was like :shock:!!!!! heh

I'll type out some of the stuff out of the book:

Fish inspection is poorly regulated. A study reported by Tufts University compared 242 fish eating mothers and vegetarian mothers. It showed that the more fish the mothers ate, the slower their babies responded to stimuli, had abnormal reflexes and signs of depression and lowered IQ by several points.

And as for trying to "eating fish from remote areas - who live far away from land" -- research has found LARGE PCB's present in the fish found in polar bear stomachs in Antartica.

The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that fish accumulate up to nine million times the levels of PCBs in the waters they traverce. :shock:

If medical officials are warning that pregnant mothers shouldn't consume fish because it damages the baby's health, then I feel really uncomfortable about using it myself :P

Everytime I read the news, I see another fish warning. Companies have completely polluted the seas with DDT, and PCBs. And now it is not uncommon for fish to have tumors themselves because of eating these toxins. And who has time to sit and disect every fishy for a tumor on one of his organs? If its a well-known fact that they don't even do that for the cattle and poultry in America (meat from animals with pus-filled lesions and cancerous tumors are certified "USDA Pure"), then I definitely know they don't have workers disecting every fish for these things. And the tumors and fishy diseases have only started growing since we've been using the ocean as a place for waste disposal. :(

They are issuing these fish warnings on the news just like they issue the smoking warnings, "If you really want to smoke, then go ahead, but don't also ruin your baby's health if you are pregnant." :P I just think its sad that we've ruined the environment like this.

Me I love meat, fish all that stuff but I dont eat it no more. This has nothing to do with its cruel (however i read an interesting book about Souls, dreams and meat) also nothing to do with how its treated or kept alive etc I stoped largly because its a poor source of quality protein once cooked, cooking also changes its structure rendering it harder to digest! also excess protien hampers bowl movments the most! Imagine a chunk of meat sitting in an blazing OVEN for 12 upto 32 hours (depending on the health of bowls and what was eaten with the meat etc etc) think of how bad it would smell and thats whats going on inside you...steak any1?

Maybe you should try a diet of raw meat? ;) Kinda like Sushi ;)

Believe it or not, I saw a poster about all the health benefits of eating everything raw - including steaks, etc.

I do not know how someone can overlook the small probably of parasites and having to get dewormed every year.

I read on medical websites that occasionally someone isnt lucky when eating Sushi of raw fish and has to go get 12 inch worms manually pulled out of their stomach through their mouth opening with long instuments and cameras (of course, you are given drugs to relax... and feel comfy). However, just the thought of seeing a 12 inch worm coming out of my mouth changed my mind about testing raw sushi (this was before I was vegetarian). But these are rare.

There is more common parasite called anisakiasis, an infection caused by an infestation of Anisakis worm larvae in the raw fish.

However, if you develope a sharp eye, you can learn to identify the meat and fish that has parasites living in it and avoid such calamities. :)

Maybe you should try a diet of raw meat? ;) Kinda like Sushi ;)

Believe it or not, I saw a poster about all the health benefits of eating everything raw - including steaks, etc.

I do not know how someone can overlook the small probably of parasites and having to get dewormed every year.

I read on medical websites that occasionally someone isnt lucky when eating Sushi of raw fish and has to go get 12 inch worms manually pulled out of their stomach through their mouth opening with long instuments and cameras (of course, you are given drugs to relax... and feel comfy). However, just the thought of seeing a 12 inch worm coming out of my mouth changed my mind about testing raw sushi (this was before I was vegetarian). But these are rare.

There is more common parasite called anisakiasis, an infection caused by an infestation of Anisakis worm larvae in the raw fish.

However, if you develope a sharp eye, you can learn to identify the meat and fish that has parasites living in it and avoid such calamities. :)

Yes you can hold fish up to a light to 'see through' the fish and look for the worms, freezing it kills them also and cooking should but dosnt always. Raw fish have much more worms etc then there conterpart farm fed fish btw

I havn't had any dairy in proberly 3 years now, stopped eating meat in december, so vegan here

did it for health reasons, turned into much much more then that.

hi there-

i'm vegan, but not for health reasons (i just tend to feel a tremendous amount of guilt when consuming/using animal products- i'm sure if i grew up on a farm that this wouldn't be an issue for me, but whatever- that was just a succinct and incomplete explanation of my lifestyle choice, mostly to provide somewhat of a context...anyway)-

honestly, despite my efforts to eat as healthy as possible within the parameters of a vegan diet, i do struggle with "failure to thrive" issues- i eat a good assortment of fruits and veggies, nuts, seeds, whole grains and legumes (with supplements for b-12, omega-3's from flax, etc)- i stay away from processed soy products (b/c they wreak havoc on my digestive system, AND, i avoid highly processed foods as much as possible)- okay, so what's the point of this incessant rambling? well, physically, i never feel all that great- i'm lethargic most of the time, with pretty constant headaches, etc- so, i mean, i believe that a diet more evolutionarily consistant with my physiology would be conducive to optimal health (i.e. high-quality, lean meats, fruits, some root and leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds), but my "discomfort" with consuming meat, etc. supersedes optimal health for me-

anyway, i have no idea if that presents any coherent contribution to the discussion at hand, but it does respresent one line of reasoning- i don't justify my diet with any argument beyond "it's what makes my most mentally 'comfortable'"-

okay, i'll stop now ;)

Hi, just a suggestion for protein...I would try using hemp protein powder -- Manitoba Harvest is supposed to be really good. It's a complete protein and has ezymes present that make it easy for your body to assimilate. Many vegan athletes and bodybuilders use it as a source of protein, plus it's omega fats are good for the skin. I just recently became vegan (was vegetarian--consumed eggs and milk, but apparently organic egg/dairy farms treat their animals as inhumanely as factory farms) and I am now trying the hemp protein. Maybe google it and see what you think.

i'm a vegeterian (still eat fish every once in a while) but i'm gonna drop it completely and become a vegan. I dont eat meat,dairy,chicken, etc cause of the cruelty the animals endure and for health reason

heres a good site that sells gluten free /vegan cakes and other stuff for very cheap prices

http://www.glutensolutions.com/products.as...uten+Free+Foods

Hey apple blossem - you can get parasites from eating raw fruits and vegetables too. It's not just raw meat. And please stop trying to scare people, there's more then one side to the argument and veganism does not work for everybody.

Its all down to opinion. TBH if u eat meat I would only aim for organic. Is this an acne issue or a moral issue? on the acne scale meat dosnt cause acne all that much. Parasties can be picked up all over unwashed food, meat, pets, bare foot on some soils. Reality is ur body can deal with them to a degree, we cant live in a big round ball, and our immune system was never meant to be unchallenged! I think meat has its place in peoples diet, the quantaty and quality is another story.

I'm a Vegetarian and have been toying with the idea of going Vegan. I went Veg for ethical reasons, but found my health and skin improved.

Hey apple blossem - you can get parasites from eating raw fruits and vegetables too. It's not just raw meat. And please stop trying to scare people, there's more then one side to the argument and veganism does not work for everybody.

Hey Rubber - Yes, I knew a person could get parasites from veggies. They can also get it from having pets, walking outside, walking inside, living with other people, sharing food, sharing towels...

Thanks for giving me a warning about trying to scare people. I didn't know that people were that "sheepish" ;). But on which topic was I frightening people?

The info I found on worms? Maybe you should take my nickname and give it to the webpage moderators on the grounds of starting a panic.

And if people aren't allowed to discuss different diets on this website, then what *is* this website for? Since I am so clueless, and you have reitterated that I do not know what I am talking about on every post I've made on acne.org (when I cut and paste medical studies), maybe you could be so kind as to enlighten me in this one as well :) :) :) :)