Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
putty13

TCA works for scars less than .5 mm deep?

many websites i have come across say that shallow scarring of .5 mm or less can be eliminated with a medium depth TCA peel. this sounds like a miracle for me.

if this is true, where are all the people with superficial scarring that have been "cured"? please speak up.

*also, what exactly is a "scarred pore"? and can they be fixed?

many websites i have come across say that shallow scarring of .5 mm or less can be eliminated with a medium depth TCA peel. this sounds like a miracle for me.

if this is true, where are all the people with superficial scarring that have been "cured"? please speak up.

Were these sites also selling TCA peels? Most of the stuff I've read says peels cannot change scarring, although I did just read an article out of Dermatology Times that the Portrait procedure is similar to a medium depth peel, and Portrait is supposed to help scarring somewhat. I'd extrapolate, then, that a medium depth peel could help very shallow scarring, but I have no firsthand experience and it still seems doubtful. I think others here have done such peels. You might try PMing them.

Superficial scarring may be helped by peels, however if you think of it taking off a miniscule layer of the face it will also take off a layer of the scar thus the scar is still visible. However, upon many, many peels it may slightly remold the scar and make it blend more with the edges.

Superficial scarring may be helped by peels, however if you think of it taking off a miniscule layer of the face it will also take off a layer of the scar thus the scar is still visible. However, upon many, many peels it may slightly remold the scar and make it blend more with the edges.

just talked to my derm's office and they say that a mid depth TCA does work for "shallow", "superficial" (whatever else you want to call them) acne scars.

i've maid an apointment for a TCA consultation on aug. 7th right after my apointment with the derm herself. if all goes well, i will be getting a peel the next day aug. 8th and be on my way to normal skin again.

wish me luck.

*i have the clearest photo to date. i took it with a spolight above to really show the scarring...also posted one in day lighting to show everyone the difference lighting makes. its embarassing but i hope it can help someone.

to all you shallow scar sufferers out there, i'm determined to help myself...then after that, i'm determined to help you!

if only my scars were that shallow, i'd be really happy :(

shinji,

don't give up hope. modern medicine is always advancing. i'm sure some day there will be an answer for all types of scars.

i'm here for suppotrt if you ever need it.

much love.

Putty13

Your scars look somewhat silmilar to mine. I"d love to hear an update. I went the fraxel route and they've improved, but I'm only a week out from my last treatment so can't tell yet whether I'll need to continue to do something about my skin or whether I'll be satisfied. Please keep me posted!

tca is by no means a miracle fix, but it think it does help a little. I also think that if used in cunjunction with other things like retin A or retinoids and aha you can see even better results of course you should not do both at the same time, pretreat with the retinoids or aha and then do the peels like 2 weeks later.

Putty13

Your scars look somewhat silmilar to mine. I"d love to hear an update. I went the fraxel route and they've improved, but I'm only a week out from my last treatment so can't tell yet whether I'll need to continue to do something about my skin or whether I'll be satisfied. Please keep me posted!

chrissy,

i'll keep you posted.

i've developed quite a photo journal of my skin in different lighting conditions. after the procedure (whatever it ends up being) i'll have an accurate log of my propgress. i get very frustrated with before/after photos that do not show the true condition of the skin...so it is my mission to get some good pics posted.

good luck with your healing.

btw did your doc classify your scarring as "shallow" or "superficial"? if we're similar, it would give me great comfort knowing what the heck i have on my face. :D

tca is by no means a miracle fix, but it think it does help a little. I also think that if used in cunjunction with other things like retin A or retinoids and aha you can see even better results of course you should not do both at the same time, pretreat with the retinoids or aha and then do the peels like 2 weeks later.

kam, I totally agree. I'm seeing good results with a combo of Cross, SA peels, cp's, Apeel and TCA complex - not all at the same time, of course, lol. I space 3-4 weeks inbetween.

I think it's very important what you do between all the crosses and peels as much as the peels themselves.

kam, I totally agree. I'm seeing good results with a combo of Cross, SA peels, cp's, Apeel and TCA complex - not all at the same time, of course, lol. I space 3-4 weeks inbetween.

I think it's very important what you do between all the crosses and peels as much as the peels themselves.

Yea, I think people are expecting too much from just one product, when really a variety works best. Because you need something that eliminates the top layers of skin (thus the peels) but you also need something that helps build colligen (not sure if I spell that right)but it need to be built under the skin. So basically you need to work the upper and lower parts of your skin if you really want progress.

Putty13

chrissy,

i'll keep you posted.

i've developed quite a photo journal of my skin in different lighting conditions. after the procedure (whatever it ends up being) i'll have an accurate log of my propgress. i get very frustrated with before/after photos that do not show the true condition of the skin...so it is my mission to get some good pics posted.

good luck with your healing.

btw did your doc classify your scarring as "shallow" or "superficial"? if we're similar, it would give me great comfort knowing what the heck i have on my face. :D

Please do let us know what happens with your scars after the peel. Your scars look like mine as well. My derm classified them as "shallow" I'm thinking of fraxel also but am also thinking of going the TCA peel route so I'd like to see your results. Good luck! :)

Hi puffy Yea .5mm is quite shallow actually. YOu could have the following.

Fraxel 6 treatment which will improve the texture and such.

Chemical peel requires multiple sessions.

CO2 one single session should do enough

Dermabrasion - Not neccessary at all.

Guest yoyoma

Your skin seems pretty sensitive and thin...I'm not sure, probably start with a very very low TCA % (like 12.5%). Don't do any peels either..just spot treat it.

If you want, perhaps even go a bit milder and try lactic peel....try something with 30% on a thicker skin area

just talked to my derm's office and they say that a mid depth TCA does work for "shallow", "superficial" (whatever else you want to call them) acne scars.

i've maid an apointment for a TCA consultation on aug. 7th right after my apointment with the derm herself. if all goes well, i will be getting a peel the next day aug. 8th and be on my way to normal skin again.

wish me luck.

*i have the clearest photo to date. i took it with a spolight above to really show the scarring...also posted one in day lighting to show everyone the difference lighting makes. its embarassing but i hope it can help someone.

to all you shallow scar sufferers out there, i'm determined to help myself...then after that, i'm determined to help you!

You scars look alot like mine. Are those before and after pics? Sorry, it is hard to notice because of the lighting. Anyway, let me know if you try anything out that works. So far I have had 3 glycolic acid peels in the last 2 weeks and I think they are helping with the shallow scarring on my cheeks.

These are my pics.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry1246635

i use obagi which has retin a in it. i also use their exfoderm which contains glycolic acid.

have you ever had a professional peel done? its my understanding that they are MUCH stronger than anything you can do yourself. in all the pics i've seen of professional peels the patients have major scabbing, a little bruising and some swelling. this is much different than what happens with an at home peel.

see link below.

http://www.facechange.org/banda_popup/peel6.htm

don't you think just by the the sheer concentration of a pro peel the result would be better?

where are the people who have had this done???

hi everyone.

i was able to bump up my appointment and consultation to monday july 31...yay! no waiting til the 7th. i'll post the doc's input as soon as i can.

keep your fingers crossed. :pray:

Professional peels can cause a lot of problems! Like hyper/hypopigmentation, worse scarring, etc. I did high-strength glycolic peels when I was younger and there was no improvement in anything, if anything my texture got worse. And then another derm I saw told me that ALL acid peels thin the skin. :doh: I would start off using retinoids and topicals first, and after a few months if there was no improvement I'd try other things like needling.

i use obagi which has retin a in it. i also use their exfoderm which contains glycolic acid.

have you ever had a professional peel done? its my understanding that they are MUCH stronger than anything you can do yourself. in all the pics i've seen of professional peels the patients have major scabbing, a little bruising and some swelling. this is much different than what happens with an at home peel.

see link below.

http://www.facechange.org/banda_popup/peel6.htm

don't you think just by the the sheer concentration of a pro peel the result would be better?

where are the people who have had this done???

Yes I have had many peels done professionally done, but they only used 15% TCA I use more than that at my house. I even had one professionally peel where she microdermed then applied the peel and I have never had crusting or scabbing, just thick flaking skin. Im thinking those peels have to be like 50% or stronger.

What?????

Seriously, How can you have an accurate measurement of your scar depth???? and do you think acne scarring (especially) is even?????????? Do you know that even .5mm of skin IS A LOT?????????????? It's deep enough to leave noticeable scars.

Guys, you should consider the fact that in most cases, your scars come from the inside out. And if you have open or scarred pores and even if they are not that wide open, they are deep. They come from the deepest skin layer. I don't think reducing the depth of your scars is the solution because you may end up with wider and worse scars . That's why traditional lasers have failed big time!. Inspite of the fact that it can go as deep as wanted, it has caused more damage than improvemnt. There are some folks that have ended up with wider and severe scars!

Putty,

I don't mean to judge your actions, but you could have added this concern to your first thread. You've opened several threads asking basically the same thing(s) all over and you want everybody to get involved and worry about you. I also wish this forum were custom made.

If in the previous threads you haven't gotten enough responses is because most of us think your problem is psychological. So if you keep opening threads asking the same thing you are going to be a target for insults and jokes.

I THINK PUTTY AND SICK2DEATH SHOULD SEE A PSYCHIATRIST OR JOIN A DIFFERENT FORUM.

This forum is for people with scars. YOURS IS MORE PSYCHOLOGICAL. SERIOUSLY, IF YOU WANT A PERFECT SKIN WITH ABSOLUTELY NO FLAWS, SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG WITH YOU GUYS. NOT EVEN MODELS HAVE PERFECT SKINS. OTHERWISE THEY WOULD NEVER EVER WEAR MAKEUP. mY CHEEKS LOOK perfect, completly flawless, but If i take a magnifying glass, I'm sure I'll find many imperfections.

Even if you had perfect skin, I bet you would still find a problem to work on. YOU GUYS SHOULD GET A LIFE!!

come on now, there is no need to get mean. The true nature of these forums is for educational purposes and the support of others going through the same thing.

come on now, there is no need to get mean. The true nature of these forums is for educational purposes and the support of others going through the same thing.

Oops, I'm really sorry if I sounded mean. It was not my intention at all. I just expressed what I thought at that moment. But I might be totally wrong. It was just an opinion. I respect everybody. Please take my sincere apologies. You are 100% right and I'll never disagree with your wise statement. Otherwise, I'll need to see a psychiatrist.

Once again. Sorry Guys if my comments offended you.

I can relate when something may not seem bad to someone else. I am also looking for ways to get rid of small shallow scars. I mainly have one real obvious huge (to me) scar on my cheek which seems to dominate my overall skin appearance. Women seem to have stricter skin expectations than men. We are supposed to have perfect, poreless skin. It is just societies standards which we begin to believe. I have gallery pics and one real close good one of a large scar and some small ones which need to go. Then I will probably start obsessing about my teeth or body fat. Peace.