Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I went to Kaiser today and the only BP they have in their pharmacy every time is the 5 and 10%. I was wondering why they store the strongest stuff rather than the most efficient dont dermatologists recommend 2.5%?

2.5% is not the most efficient. In terms of effectiveness 10% and 5% are better than 2.5%. The problem is they are drying for most people. Dermatologists recommend 5% and 5% is what is used in most research studies regarding benzoyl peroxide. You will only find 2.5% over the counter since people generally tolerate 2.5% better.

In reality, only one research study found 2.5% as effective as 5% and 10%. One study with 100 or so people doesn't really say much. The reason the CSR works well is because he recommends putting on a lot of 2.5% which would be similar to putting on less of 10%.

2.5% is not the most efficient. In terms of effectiveness 10% and 5% are better than 2.5%. The problem is they are drying for most people. Dermatologists recommend 5% and 5% is what is used in most research studies regarding benzoyl peroxide. You will only find 2.5% over the counter since people generally tolerate 2.5% better.

In reality, only one research study found 2.5% as effective as 5% and 10%. One study with 100 or so people doesn't really say much. The reason the CSR works well is because he recommends putting on a lot of 2.5% which would be similar to putting on less of 10%.

So would 5% BP be ok with a AHA moisturizer?

In the U.S. you can get 2.5%, 5%, and 10% OTC. You're right though, applying more 2.5% (in the right formulation) will be less drying than the 10%.

So would 5% BP be ok with a AHA moisturizer?

Yes it would be better if your face doesn't overdry or get too red.

I guess it depends on your skin. Begin with a little of 5% (like half of 2.5%) and use more over time.

Right now I use as much 10% as you should use 2.5% (or even more!). My skin tolerates quite much now after one year of an over-drying type of BP-product (switched to a less drying 10% one)

I guess it depends on your skin. Begin with a little of 5% (like half of 2.5%) and use more over time.

Right now I use as much 10% as you should use 2.5% (or even more!). My skin tolerates quite much now after one year of an over-drying type of BP-product (switched to a less drying 10% one)

Interesting. Maybe I'll switch back to a 5% or 10% after my skin gets used to the bp. I started with 10 which cleared my acne up really well but my face got dry.

Proactiv, yea you can just use different amounts and see how it goes. Half a finger of 5% would be mathematically the same as a full finger of 2.5%.