Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XYZ1

Pics of my skin: enlarged pores and shallow scars - what will help me?

Thank you for your comments and the consolation.

I understand that most of you think I should be lucky or that I'm crazy, but I'm not.

I definately want to improve my skin. I don't want to have perfect skin, but skin like a normal man with the age of 25. There are a lot of guys who have acne scars but I've never seen somebody with pores all over the face at my age.

Normally the US message boards are more optimistic like the german ones and you have the latest treatment methods.

I hoped that you would say my skin condition is no issue (like you did) but that you also say "try this one" and you will get rid of the enlarged pores.

I can't imagine that there is nothing that could help me because according to you I don't have a big issue. If all those scar treatments don't even work for me why is it possible that people with real scarring can benefit from it?

Well, reading these posts I have some good and bad news. The enlarged, clogged pores that you've developed are due to hormonal changes, environmental stress, aging, etc. Bad news is this unwelcome change is not reversible and gets worse as you age--pores enlarge over time and your skin's ability to shed dead skin cells also diminishes, further contributing to clogged pores.

However, the good news is you can improve the APPEARANCE of your pores. I stress appearance because you cannot truly shrink your pores, but you can make them smaller temporarily and also slow down the enlarging process. It's good that you're doing the peels as they do an excellent job of exfoliating and reveal healthier skin beneath. Although I question doing peels for extended periods--may make your skin raw and sensitive, making you age faster. You should use a good sunscreen if you do regular peels, but even so I wouldn't persist doing this too long as these peels are harsh and long-term use of harsh chemicals might produce unintended consequences.

In other circumstances I woud recommend you do microdermabrasion, as I believe it's more effective than peels at cleaning clogged pores and encouraging skin renewal, giving you the appearance of smaller pores and smoother skin at less the time than peels. But since you've been doing these peels, your skin is already raw, and adding microdermabrasion would make it super-raw and sensitive. It'd be exfoliating your skin to death.

But perhaps after some time off the peels, you can try microdermabrasion then switch to chemical peels for maintenance of smooth skin. But since peels are harsh I would do them between long intervals; in between you can use something that exfoliates but is more gentle like facial scrubs. There's a lot of excellent ones out there; just make sure they're grainy.

I think you should avoid using AHA lotions while doing peels--when skin is already raw it doesn't need another product to make it rawer, but rather it needs something to nourish it in its sensitive state. I recommend coconut oil-based lotion or, if you're brave, just rub pure coconut oil on your face (don't be afraid that it's an OIL). It's one of the best things for your skin. Another oil you may try is rosehip oil, which is for making skin smooth and preventing wrinkles, but it can clog pores (but with less concentration and if your skin isn't too acne-prone you it should be ok).

Finally, I know you're a guy, but if you absolutely must look like you have perfectly smooth skin, then you might also try some pore-smoothing gels that give you the appearance of perfect skin. An excellent one is called "Velvet skin coat" at DHC.com.

I have a feeling you probably know most of what I mentioned, but keep in mind to be cautious with what you do to your skin and don't be tempted to overdo anything--after all, your face is too important to risk the consequences. Use sunscreen (or risk aging faster). Your skin doesn't look that bad, as others have pointed out, but I understand the need to improve something that "doesn't look bad". Because it can look BETTER right? :)

But since you've been doing these peels, your skin is already raw, and adding microdermabrasion would make it super-raw and sensitive. It'd be exfoliating your skin to death.

How long should I wait after the next Glycolic Acid peeling or Apeel correct until I can start with Microdermabrasion?

I think you should avoid using AHA lotions while doing peels--when skin is already raw it doesn't need another product to make it rawer, but rather it needs something to nourish it in its sensitive state.

My derm told me I should do this. That's how the Neostrata AHA's work: Apply the peeling every few weeks and in the meantime use a AHA cream or gel to support the peeling.

Finally, I know you're a guy, but if you absolutely must look like you have perfectly smooth skin, then you might also try some pore-smoothing gels that give you the appearance of perfect skin. An excellent one is called "Velvet skin coat" at DHC.com.

This gel has only a temporary smoothing effect, right?

Your skin doesn't look that bad, as others have pointed out, but I understand the need to improve something that "doesn't look bad". Because it can look BETTER right?

Yes I know that, but compared to the beautiful skin I had it's like I've you've been driven a sportscar and now you've to go by bus. Other people made compliments about my skin and it is such a good feeling if you can look into the mirror where ever you want and you look fresh.

The enlarged pores are not related to aging.

I have whiteheads since 10 years. If there is a whitehead the sebum begins to form a small bead and then this bead fells of my skin after a few days. After that an enlarged pore is left on my skin. I think this is a rare kind of acne, because others with witheheads don't have this problem.

I have mailed Julie to ask her if Apeel correct can help me. After that I will try Microdermabrasion.

:lol: WTF? You go to a derm with a clear face like that!? You're crazy man. Your face looks nice compared to a lot of other people's. You need to chill and get on with your life. :dance:

You really will regret it if you mess around with your beautiful skin and make things worse. I really won't post on this thread ever again, but PLEASE take the advice of all the well intentioned people and be happy with your near-perfect skin. Yearning for the skin you had when you were 16 is just not possible - you're an adult and you're going to age.

WTF? You go to a derm with a clear face like that!? You're crazy man. Your face looks nice compared to a lot of other people's. You need to chill and get on with your life.

In Germany it's a bit different compared to USA: You must not pay for the derm. The only thing you must do is pay 10EURO every quarter at the doctor you visit first within a quarter.

Yearning for the skin you had when you were 16 is just not possible - you're an adult and you're going to age.

Yes you're right but I don't want to have the skin when I was 16, just small pores.

How long should I wait after the next Glycolic Acid peeling or Apeel correct until I can start with Microdermabrasion?

It depends on how long you've been using the peels and the strength of the peels. If you've had six or more 30% (or higher) peels then I think that's enough. Wait for at least a 1.5 month before you try the microdermabrasion. After microdermabrasion every couple of weeks you can do a low strength (10% or so) peel to keep your pores unclogged and encourage collagen building. There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" so don't peel too much.

My derm told me I should do this. That's how the Neostrata AHA's work: Apply the peeling every few weeks and in the meantime use a AHA cream or gel to support the peeling.

I mentioned this because, from personal experience, using multiple products that peel/exfoliate can aggravate your skin, making it worse instead of better. I know the derm is the expert, but beware that experts can be wrong; that's why there are millions who still suffer or whose problems worsen despite following expert advice. Your skin is your best guide so listen to it. If the AHA is not aggravating you that's great! If it is you should stop no matter what the derm says.

The Velvet Skin Coat gives you a temporary look of very smooth, fresh-looking skin by controlling oil and covering enlarged pores. It's quite effective but it is temporary!

Your skin doesn't look that bad, as others have pointed out, but I understand the need to improve something that "doesn't look bad". Because it can look BETTER right?

Yes I know that, but compared to the beautiful skin I had it's like I've you've been driven a sportscar and now you've to go by bus. Other people made compliments about my skin and it is such a good feeling if you can look into the mirror where ever you want and you look fresh.

The enlarged pores are not related to aging.

I have whiteheads since 10 years. If there is a whitehead the sebum begins to form a small bead and then this bead fells of my skin after a few days. After that an enlarged pore is left on my skin. I think this is a rare kind of acne, because others with witheheads don't have this problem.

I have mailed Julie to ask her if Apeel correct can help me. After that I will try Microdermabrasion.

I know what your'e feeling. I used to have clean, poreless-looking skin and suddenly within a month my skin became oily and my pores became enlarged and were clogged with black and whiteheads. This happened in my teens and I'm guessing this happened in your teens too, so probably the main cause was hormonal changes. Aging may not be the cause but it certainly is a contributor. As I said before, you are stuck with enlarged pores once you have them, but you can TEMPORARILY shrink them and slow down the enlargement process. The peels should slow donw process, but beware overpeeling can make your pores larger! I don't know what Apeel is, give it a try but be cautious; though I believe if you've done more than 6 glycolic acid peels consecutively you've already done enough and should just give your skin time to heal--the time off might give your pores time to shrink a little. In the meantime you can use the velvet coat to make your skin look real good! Also if you're interested I have a little regimen that I do in the hopes of making my pores smaller temporarily...not sure if it worsk though.

I think your skin looks great. You may have a few bumps and large pores, but overall, the condition is excellent. You can clear those bumps if you use BP or something like that, nothing too harsh. As for large pores, there is nothing you can do. NOTHING. It's genetic. You can not shrink them no matter what you do.

Guest Timehealsall

did the op ever close his pores?