Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sadman

Bezoyl Peroxide: wash or gel?

Hi i haven't been able to purchase the CSR gel for the past 7 months or so because i went back to my home country and for several other reasons i wouldn't list down anymore. So for the past 6 months I've been using Galderma's Benzac Wash. and it has been working great. But just recently I saw a Benzac Gel on my Dermatologist's office. Then I asked her what's the difference between the wash and the gel. She said the Wash is soap based and it requires to be washed off afterwards to remove the oil because there's no need to use a cleanser beforehand. On the other hand, the Gel (alcohol based) doesn't need to be washed off after applying because it is required to use the cleanser before using the GEL.. After hearing that, i thought, wow. That sounds more like the CSR gel to me.

So although i've been using the Wash for quite a time now (and not washing it off at night), i was wondering if changing from a soap based benzoyl peroxide to an alcohol based benzoyl peroxide gel will cause my progress to start from the beginning? I mean, if i change benzoyl peroxide products, will I go back to zero, go through the initial redness and breakout stage and clear up only after the 3 month mark?

My regimen is like this:

1.Cleanse (even though Benzac Wash doesn't require to have a cleanser. I still do this and it's been working great)

2. Let it dry

3. Put Benzac Wash.

I really want to try this gel because it seems more similar to the CSR gel. I want to use the Benzac Gel for the time being i can't buy the CSR. So.. what do you guys think?

thanks for any reply :)

Well, you said the Benzac Wash has been working great for you. If it were me, I wouldn't rock the boat. If you are getting the results you want with that wash, then I suggest you keep on with that.

oh okay. :)

but then again, there are times that i have to be outside the house (college projects and other stuff) late at night and i don't want to skip an application nor be seen by other's in my whitey facial mask. So i was wondering if I could use the GEL on times i have to stay late outside.

but would you think it would make me go back to the start? I don't see any reason why. Could the alcohol content in gel be a shocking factor to my face? I don't think there's any scientific study on changing benzoyl peroxide products because that would be silly. so i'm relying on you guys. :)

does changing products irritate the skin so much?... even if it's the same brand?

maybe i'll try applying it on one part of the face first and see if it breaks out?

no one has really tried switching from a benzac wash to a benzac gel? oh man... i'm out of line........ ahha

oh okay. :)

but then again, there are times that i have to be outside the house (college projects and other stuff) late at night and i don't want to skip an application nor be seen by other's in my whitey facial mask. So i was wondering if I could use the GEL on times i have to stay late outside.

but would you think it would make me go back to the start? I don't see any reason why. Could the alcohol content in gel be a shocking factor to my face? I don't think there's any scientific study on changing benzoyl peroxide products because that would be silly. so i'm relying on you guys. :)

Hang on a minute, are you using the Benzac wash as a mask? Are you leaving it on? Washes are meant to be rinsed off!

If that is what you are doing, then yes I would suggest you switch to the CSR gel, it is clear so nobody will see it on your skin.

yeah i am. it seems to be working though :D and i have no idea why. lol..

i'm thinking of switching to the gel. (im returning to the States soon so i can finally get CSR). i'm just afraid changing products will irritate my skin and cause a breakout? or are the p acne bacteria already dead from using my benzac facial mask. lol

thanks for the replies brandy. i appreciate it a lot. :) i just think you are the most credible person around here

also .. can anyone tell me the advantage of the GEL that is alcohol based from a WASH that is soap based.

Some people experience a breakout upon switching products, and some people don't. You'll just have to see.

I can't believe leaving that wash on all night wasn't irritating! Did your derm know you were leaving the wash on all night?

As for your other question, a gel can be left on to give 24-hr. acne fighting control, while a wash only has a brief amount of time to work before it is supposed to be rinsed off. So, for most people, the leave-on product would work better.

p.s. thank you for the kind words!

okay now i'm hesitating to change products because of the imminent breakout .......................i don't want to return to that state again..

uhm my dermatologist doesn't know about me letting the benzac wash stay overnight. although she told me the longer i let it stay the better. but in the morning i wash it off 30 minutes after letting it dry...

i think i'm going to stick with my weird regimen even though waiting 30 minutes before i can rinse it off at morning is soo boring.

besides, i searched the forum and some people say benzac gel leaves white marks unlike dan's CSR.