Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am new to this forum, yet I've been following all the threads concerning the "fantastic" needling method.

Ok, I did needled myself (for the first time) 2 weeks ago hoping to improve my boxcars, icepicks, indented and whatnot kind of scars (located in both cheeks). I did say 2 weeks. Now, scrub formed only on some of the scarred pores and fingernail-like scars, which didnt bother me at all. I did apply desinfectant ointment and some vitamin A rubbed once a day on the affected area.

Results are rather discouraging. Wish i could say that my SCARS LOOK THE SAME AS BEFORE THIS DAMNED NEEDLING. For I can see in the mirror, WIDENED unsightly holes way deeper than before. In the past i was subjected to at least 4 dermabrasions so i think ive got the skin thinned....I am pretty scared and dont know what else to do. Copper peptides surged thru my mind but i dunno know. I remember some guy saying that after 2 weeks needled scars tend to look nastier and deeper...but improvement would arise suddenly and "overturn" early pessimistic expectations ...

I have promised myself not to ressort again to self needling cuz i now know that scars MAY ACTUALLY GET UGLIER than ever imagined... sorry for the post, but i just wanted to share my experience and help others not commit the same mistake...dont needle plz, you will thank yourself and use common sense...seek the assesment of a number of dermatologist and make your own conclusions. EVERY DAMNED ONE IS A UNIQUE CASE...SO METHODS (in my opinion) may differ. :cry:

I have some questions about your needling experience:

Where you ever on accutane?

You say you had 4 dermabrations (not micro)?

What kind of needle did you use?

Are you saying you can see the needle pricks or that pores have enlargened?

Thanks

Yeah, needling didn't work for me either. They did look worse at first, but then got "better" i.e. the same as before I needled. I use RetinA and Taz and occasionally copper peptides, so maybe that is why they are not WORSE, but I think that they would probably have "healed" back to their normal scarred selves on their own. Obviously, needling doesn't work for me.....I would advise against the self-administered method, but if you do go that route - JUST DO ONE AT FIRST TO SEE HOW YOU RESPOND! If it works, then by all means hack away; if not, you'll be glad you were conservative!

SIGH. It takes MONTHS before you see the results of needling.

SIGH.

DOUBLE SIGH*

Why the sighs, guys? I have waited MONTHS and administered the procedure twice. It doesn't seem to work on me, but I have NO DOUBT that Gumby, Denise, James (aka Healthy Sceptic), etc. have had great results. My skin seems to react best to resurfacing - dermabrasion was the best thing I ever did - but I have no reason to doubt Sword, et al that it has ruined their skin. NOT EVERY PROCEDURE WORKS ON EVERY PERSON! I certainly think it's worth a shot to needle considering the low cost and low risk, but START SLOWLY on just one or two scars to see if it works for you rather than the whole 150 all over your face the first time. If needling or dermabrasion or TCA cross or subcision or whatever else was successful on EVERYONE then we would not need this board and none of us would have scars. Alas, as yet we've not found a universal silver bullet. After weighing the risks, etc. it helps to try many different things - for example, James states he has done GOBS of procedures for 20 plus years and finally tried needling and it is the bomb for him -that's great! But it's not going to work on everyone, myself included.

SIGH. It takes MONTHS before you see the results of needling.

SIGH.

DOUBLE SIGH*

Why the sighs, guys? I have waited MONTHS and administered the procedure twice. It doesn't seem to work on me, but I have NO DOUBT that Gumby, Denise, James (aka Healthy Sceptic), etc. have had great results. My skin seems to react best to resurfacing - dermabrasion was the best thing I ever did - but I have no reason to doubt Sword, et al that it has ruined their skin. NOT EVERY PROCEDURE WORKS ON EVERY PERSON! I certainly think it's worth a shot to needle considering the low cost and low risk, but START SLOWLY on just one or two scars to see if it works for you rather than the whole 150 all over your face the first time. If needling or dermabrasion or TCA cross or subcision or whatever else was successful on EVERYONE then we would not need this board and none of us would have scars. Alas, as yet we've not found a universal silver bullet. After weighing the risks, etc. it helps to try many different things - for example, James states he has done GOBS of procedures for 20 plus years and finally tried needling and it is the bomb for him -that's great! But it's not going to work on everyone, myself included.

You can't conclude much of anything after 2 weeks of needling. There is still swelling and other issues. Plus, if you don't heal well, then that can effect you too.

It has been repeated many times on the forum......you will not know the final results of your needling until 9-12 weeks *AFTER* the needling!

Yes, but butterflies HAS waited months.

It's obvious that not every procedure works for everyone.

To the original poster, I have done needling too and while it is too early to conclude anything the scars did look worse for about a week after. Now they look the same as they did before, and *just maybe* a little better. I can't tell for sure. The thing is, I did not scab at all, just turned really red, and I don't think your skin should scab after self-needling - after all the point is to stimulate collagen without being too invasive, not to damage your skin significantly.

I also think your 4 (!) dermabrasions may have altered your ability to heal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong? Nicely please, no biting.

The thing is, I did not scab at all, just turned really red, and I don't think your skin should scab after needling - after all the point is to stimulate collagen without being too invasive, not to damage your skin significantly.

Dublin22 said:

Thanks

Thanks

Never been on Accutane. I used to rub tretin A on my zits. pretty caustic and invasive.

Yep, you are right. Its 4 microdermabrasions. These ones screwed up not only my scars but also my good skin.

I used sterilized "ultra fine" medical needles.

I can certainly see the holes left by the needles other than the impression that scars have widened.

A last word, If you have been submitted to dermabrasion. You are DONE with needling.

Thanks for responding to my quote. I don't understand what you mean by your last sentence though. Please explain.

If you mean microdermabrasions, then that's fine. Microdermabrasions barely damage the skin at all. A dermabrasion is a far more serious procedure that leaves your skin bloody and red!

I too saw blood when I needled my scars, but it did not scab, just turned very very red. I too saw red spots where the needle had entered but I did not go crazy, I probably needled each scar about 10 - 15 times.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with needling.

If you're doing self-needling I'd have thought you should definitely do some of the following to help your skin heal:

*take supplements of vit E, vit C, zinc, MSM, glucosamine sulphate, silica, and get enough EFA's

*apply a vit C or peptides topical

My scars looked worse at first, now I've started applying some collagen-encouraging topicals and they look about the same as before needling, I'm hoping they may get even better with more topical application. I think needling basically loosens up the old scar tissue so that topicals can do their job better.

But yeah everyone's different, you should definitely just try needling on one scar first to see how you react.

Hmmm.....I'm certainly willing to entertain the possibility that my having had a dermabrasion (a REAL dermabrasion, not MICROdermabrasion) could effect my skin's response to needling. Typically, I heal very well and very quickly (in fact, I did with the needling too) - possibly after the derm it is too compromised to respond optimally? Anyway, I'm glad it works so well on many people & maybe those of us who have had major resurfacing procedures should be extra careful. Needling is certainly worth a try, but again - just do one or two the first time & see what happens - that's my advice anyway. Cheers!

(just for the record - I have needled two scars twice & waited months - it's been nearly 8 months since the first time - & these 2 spots are the same or (on a bad day) slightly worse. I think I'll quit while I'm behind at this point...)

Hi all. I have posted the topic of "Needling Post-Accutane" but haven't gotten any responses so I'll ask here. Have any of you who are needling/have needled taken Accutane at any time? If so, how long before you started needling did you finish Accutane and how is needling working for you. I'm having a women trained by the transitions poster Frank this coming Wed and want to know how it's worked for such a person.

Thanks!

If you're doing self-needling I'd have thought you should definitely do some of the following to help your skin heal:

*take supplements of vit E, vit C, zinc, MSM, glucosamine sulphate, silica, and get enough EFA's

*apply a vit C or peptides topical

My scars looked worse at first, now I've started applying some collagen-encouraging topicals and they look about the same as before needling, I'm hoping they may get even better with more topical application. I think needling basically loosens up the old scar tissue so that topicals can do their job better.

But yeah everyone's different, you should definitely just try needling on one scar first to see how you react.

Hi Floss, thanks for your invaluable support !. I must tell that I (fortunately), just pricked the left cheek, so my right one looks actually intact and after seeing the dermatologist he prescribed me zinc tablets, cleansers consisting in betagranules and lactibon, for controlling the oiliness clogged in my extra widened pores. therapy will evolve as times passes. I think he will prescribe some exfoliator and so on... What concerns me now honestly is the fact that things like this, get you somehow ...hmm self conscious and .... do you know of any make up especifically designed for males aming to hide acne scarring without further skin damage?. I think this would be the first time I ressort to this, but i cant stand the look of my present skin ...cheers!

Almasty