Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cool as kim deal

Dan/Brandy/Joel/etc.: did shipping costs go up in the past couple of months?

I ordered 10 tubes on May 8, and S&H was only $10.50 for the whole deal (USPS, Minnesota address). I just now placed an order for 7 tubes of gel to stock up before I leave the country for a semester abroad, and the cheaper S&H option (DHL now, apparently) was $11.49, even being sent to the same address that I had it sent to back in May! I checked on the rates for 10 tubes out of curiosity, and sure enough, shipping is up to $13.07 for DHL, a fair amount more than the $10.50 USPS rate back in May. It's not a huge deal to me, but I'm surprised that it costs me more now to get 7 tubes delivered than it did to get 10 tubes delivered two months back. What changed?

What has changed is the shipping is now being calculated in real time according to your location. So it is more specific. Other than that, I'm not aware of any other changes.

Here is a breakdown of the shipping charge:

We calculate the package weight: 6 oz for gels and 22.5 oz for cleansers (this number averages in packaging material).

Then, we use this package weight to determine the actual shipping cost (postage cost).

There are also handling charges, since we have to pay our distributor to store stock and process orders, ship them out, etc. The handling charge is a base of $1.30 plus $0.25 per item. International orders have a $2.00 surcharge.

Also, there is another charge we add on, $0.30, which helps to cover miscellaneous expenses such as returned shipments. Next there is $0.03 per ounce charge that pays for the shipping of the product from the manufacturer to the distributor.

I think Dan might have described this in another post but that is basically how I understand it. Dan designed the charges to break even on shipping (no profit made on shipping).

It's nice to see how the S&H breaks down, thanks, Joel. Was this formula altered in the past two months or any rates hiked, though, or am I just on the unlucky end of the new real-time calculations Brandy mentioned? It's really just that cheapest shipping option for ten tubes now costs $1.57 more than it did in May for me, and I'm not sure where in the shipping formula that would be reflected. I don't doubt that Dan isn't making a profit now on S&H, but then was he losing money on shipping out BP to certain locations until recently?

Just curious :P

It's possible that the real-time calculation is charging more to you since you live far away from the distributor. Also, DHL is very close to the same price as Parcel Post, so we got rid of the Parcel Post option altogether, since DHL is much more reliable and faster, plus they offer tracking information... I guess all of the combined shipping changes could have increased your shipping costs. However, in the future, once we implement a change to our shopping cart, orders with csr gel (only) will have a reduced handling charge (up to 50 cents off).