Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leilakim

photodynamic therapy

okay so i've been getting extractions and blue light therapy at this one medical spa in Los Angeles. Its helped a little bUt i still get cystic acne like crazy! And my face is extremely oily! its just as shiny as my lip gloss!!!! i heard that photodynamic therapy shrinks the oil glands so that it doesn't produce so much oil. I would appreciate it so much if i had everyone's opinions or experiences with photodynamic therapy. thank you!

okay so i've been getting extractions and blue light therapy at this one medical spa in Los Angeles. Its helped a little bUt i still get cystic acne like crazy! And my face is extremely oily! its just as shiny as my lip gloss!!!! i heard that photodynamic therapy shrinks the oil glands so that it doesn't produce so much oil. I would appreciate it so much if i had everyone's opinions or experiences with photodynamic therapy. thank you!

I had blue light therapy and found that I had a horrible break out a couple of days later. I don't know if it was coinsidence but I decided not to go back again.

It does work, but the results with blue light are often not as favorable.

Right now, the best thing going is Levulan with V-Beam laser, and that's what you should try if u do try something. I have seen modest improvements -- just had my 3rd and final facial treatment.

Didn't work for me. I had a couple of levulan and blue-u treatments and it made my acne worse for months after.

I had PDT treatments. My skin was great during the treatments, but about a month after my last one, my face broke out much worse than it had pre-lasers. Plus, I had extreme oil like never before. I ended up having to go on Accutane. Waste 'o money.

okay so i went through with it, i had photodynamic therapy done on friday jul 21. It was kinda painful but not overwhelming. after it was done my face felt really sensitive but it did't get red until i got home. Right now im sitting at work and my face feels like plastic, its dry and oily at the same time and i had to cake on so much make-up because my face is still red. I look horrible under this lighting and i never wore make-up to work before so this is new to my coworkers and i knoe they see how flaky and oily my skin is under all this make-up. I just hope this will all be worth it in the end-IF there is a good ending to this.

Guest WolfPleb

I've never done it; I do know a few people that had success, but the effect is temporary. Quite a lot of people have had poor results. I read on the wikipedia that medical insurance people consider it experimental and it didn't seem to have a high success rate in tests.

More people have had good success with the home use blue/red light boxes- you can treat indefinitely; and it gives ~75% clearance in 80+% of cases; basically similar or better results to BP, but without the irritation and cheaper over 2-3 years. OTOH the blue/red stuff works best on mild-moderate acne.