Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shanky76

How often do you clean your makeup brushes?

Makeup brush cleaning  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you clean your makeup brushes?

• Daily
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Other - please comment

I have on the CSR for approximately week, and have been researching a lot on cutting down bacteria on the face. So, in the interest of research, and trying to determine my best regimen for makeup, I thought I would offer this poll to see how often most people battling acne wash their makeup brushes. Thank you for your time with this poll.

I put other since I guess I never really got into the make up that needs to be put on with a brush!

I always used liquid make up until recently (I am going to try mineral makeup till I like it!!!!!) with sponges to put it on, which I changed when they started to look bad, so every month or so.

I ordered a bunch of expensive brushes to go along with the mineral stuff, to be honest I don't know how to clean them properly!

any tips? ;)

You can either buy brush cleaner, which I think does a better job of conditioning your brushes, or use your favorite shampoo. If you use shampoo, don't soak the brushes, but put some of the shampoo on the brushes and wash under the sink. Once the water runs clear, blot your brushes with a clean towel (reshape while blotting), then lay them flat to dry. If at all possible, lay them on the edge of a table or counter where the brush part is hanging over the side not touching anything.

For brush cleaner, put some of the cleaner in a jar or bowl and "swish" the brush head in the cleaner. Use a clean towel to blot the brushes- if there is still stuff in the brush, you might need to do this a couple of times. Finally, blot the brush again and reshape at the same time. Then lay flat to dry as above.

For daily cleaning, you could use a spray cleaner (if your skin is really oily, as mine is, this is a good idea), then do a thorough cleaning at least once a week.

Hope this helps! :angel:

I wash mine about once a week, using some extra shampoo that doesn't work so well on my hair but is perfectly good for brush-cleaning... When I first started using makeup brushes, I was lazy and didn't bother to wash them, but I do not recommend it! My breakouts during that time correlated almost exactly with whether I'd washed my brushes recently, so don't skimp on the washing if you can help it! I've read that washing brushes every 2 weeks or so should be ok, though.

For me it depends on what the brushes are being used for. If it's for liquid foundation, then I was it straight after I've used it. If it's for powdered foundation or blush, then it's weekly. I use my facial cleanser to clean the brushes, either that, or baby shampoo. :)

I ordered a bunch of expensive brushes to go along with the mineral stuff, to be honest I don't know how to clean them properly!

any tips? ;)

Pretty much what Shanky below says :)

You can either buy brush cleaner, which I think does a better job of conditioning your brushes, or use your favorite shampoo. If you use shampoo, don't soak the brushes, but put some of the shampoo on the brushes and wash under the sink. Once the water runs clear, blot your brushes with a clean towel (reshape while blotting), then lay them flat to dry. If at all possible, lay them on the edge of a table or counter where the brush part is hanging over the side not touching anything.

For brush cleaner, put some of the cleaner in a jar or bowl and "swish" the brush head in the cleaner. Use a clean towel to blot the brushes- if there is still stuff in the brush, you might need to do this a couple of times. Finally, blot the brush again and reshape at the same time. Then lay flat to dry as above.

For daily cleaning, you could use a spray cleaner (if your skin is really oily, as mine is, this is a good idea), then do a thorough cleaning at least once a week.

Hope this helps! :angel: