Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beebs

The Mirror Test

Just wanted to share my success story! Last year I had a horrible experience with smoothbeam that caused awful scarring on my cheeks. I always struggled with acne, but never with scarring. Devastated, I spent the next six months researching scar treatments. I tried chemical peels etc. and my scars did seem to get lighter and softer, but they always failed the Mirror Test. Basically, the mirror at my house showed improvement with its favorable lighting, but there was always one store in the a department store that I would go to and catch sight of my face and see every deep pit and indentation horrifically accentuated by the lighting.

Well, today I went to that store and braved the mirror. My scars HAVE filled in! They are not gone, but my skin has finally lost its pitted look. Basically I owe it to TCA cross, hyaluronic acid supplements, and squalene oil! I can't recommend TCA cross enough!

Just wanted to share my success story! Last year I had a horrible experience with smoothbeam that caused awful scarring on my cheeks. I always struggled with acne, but never with scarring. Devastated, I spent the next six months researching scar treatments. I tried chemical peels etc. and my scars did seem to get lighter and softer, but they always failed the Mirror Test. Basically, the mirror at my house showed improvement with its favorable lighting, but there was always one store in the a department store that I would go to and catch sight of my face and see every deep pit and indentation horrifically accentuated by the lighting.

Well, today I went to that store and braved the mirror. My scars HAVE filled in! They are not gone, but my skin has finally lost its pitted look. Basically I owe it to TCA cross, hyaluronic acid supplements, and squalene oil! I can't recommend TCA cross enough!

How did you get it done? And what was the whole process? Can you elaborate?

I too have one of those gauging mirrors. It's in bloomingdale's. My scars look like total shit in it. But lately, they look better....my whole texture does, and that's quite a feat, because that mirror is reality times twelve!

I owe it to: my new makeup (Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser) and maybe microderm, well, probably microderm, but I noticed the difference when I switched makeup. I went from powder, which I always thought hid more and didn't settle into my scars, to this and it's been a big difference. It seems to work wonders at making my skin tone look better for some reason. I love it. I don't know if it would work for all, because we all have didfferent scars, but it works for mine. Don't get me wrong, they're still there, but they look better.

Btw, my estitician told me my scars are mostly scarred pores. I also have some deeper boxcars and icepicks, but the majority (according to her) are scarred pores.

Anyway, my point was: I have that same mirror of horrors and mine look better too. It's a great way to gauge your progress.

I stand in front of it and hold up clothes that I have no intention of buying, so I don't look like a total weirdo staring at myself, LOL.

I too have one of those gauging mirrors. It's in bloomingdale's. My scars look like total shit in it. But lately, they look better....my whole texture does, and that's quite a feat, because that mirror is reality times twelve!

I owe it to: my new makeup (Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser) and maybe microderm, well, probably microderm, but I noticed the difference when I switched makeup. I went from powder, which I always thought hid more and didn't settle into my scars, to this and it's been a big difference. It seems to work wonders at making my skin tone look better for some reason. I love it. I don't know if it would work for all, because we all have didfferent scars, but it works for mine. Don't get me wrong, they're still there, but they look better.

Btw, my estitician told me my scars are mostly scarred pores. I also have some deeper boxcars and icepicks, but the majority (according to her) are scarred pores.

Anyway, my point was: I have that same mirror of horrors and mine look better too. It's a great way to gauge your progress.

I stand in front of it and hold up clothes that I have no intention of buying, so I don't look like a total weirdo staring at myself, LOL.

Different makeups, especially powder will refract light funny in some lights. That is the hard part for me when I put my mineral makeup on. When I am in my bathroom lighting it will look ok, then out in the sun it looks like I put too much on and I have to wipe it off. It's impossible to get my makeup to look good in all lights :evil:

emmanuel and unknownmale,

you should look into fraxel. u have to get like 5-6 treatments but the thread on it says it will help most scars about 30 percent.

my 'mirror' is reflections in shop windows because im out in natural light and it shows the way light hits my face rather than my features.

Caught a sight of myself earlier with the sun on the side of my face and it looked awful, loads of wavey lines and bumps, so im feeling pretty sorry for myself atm :(

Hey but well done beebs, im happy for you.

Beebs -

Did you CROSS yourself?

If so, what percentage did you use and where did you purchase it from?

I just purchased 50% TCA from loganwoodskincare.com.

im very curious if TCA would work for shallow rolling scars.....

Shallow rolling scars...U should look at Magnetixboys posts with pictures. he had shallow rolling scars that almost totally went away with powerpeel deep microderms, which is essentially spot dermabrasion. Search his post he had great pictures on there.

Thanks, but I don't want fraxel right now. I want to try fillers in conjuction with the micro and see how I feel - you have to understand - I am not that hung up on my scars anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to not have them and all, but I don't care that much about them anymore. I'm getting older and things like scars don't matter that much anymore. I know it's not that big of a deal in the scheme of things.

I also don't want to risk making my skin worse and risk to benefit ratio of 30% isn't enough for me in my current state of scar mentality right now. Now, whether or not all this may change is debateable. You know how it is with damn scars - it's like an emotional seesaw, although I've felt this way for awhile now.

Did you get these products from www.perfectcomplexion.net ? That's where I get my Hyaluronic Protein and Royal B5 Jelly, as well as a product called Apeel Correct which has had AMAZING results on my (very mild) scars.

:)

Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply to all the questions. I don't have internet access in my home and it is often hard to get down to the nearest net cafe.

Anyway...yes, I did cross myself. I bought the stuff online and kept it in a drawer for two months before i got the guts to use it. I crossed a medium sized scar that was isolated from the rest of my scars and waited for a week. At first, it looked great--it shrunk up and became this tiny scab. then, it looked awful, after the scab came off. it looked bigger and red. then, within a couple weeks, it suddenly faded and filled in and became smaller again. crazy! now, i don't even notice it in some lights. after that, i crossed a few more scars. all of them responded well. none of them disappeared, but they all became shallower and smaller--which i think attributed to the fact that i can face the scary mirrors in my life now. overall, i am much less bumpy and lumpy. i still have a problem with car windows. those are the worst. but its no where near as bad as 6 months ago. i am going to try crossing again soon, seeing it has been a couple months now.

squalene oil i get through my mother, so i don't know how you would purchase it. it has softened my skin more than any other product--and just in 6 months. my mother has used it for years and at 65, she looks more like 55. it works for wrinkles, so i guess it has a softening effect on scars as well.

hyaluronic acid is sold in all the drugstores here in japan, where i am living at the moment. it also hydrates and plumps my skin. since taking the supplements, ive noticed less peeliness and redness and the hydrating qualities make my scars look less awful.

my scarring used to be quite noticeable and i would say moderately severe. now, it is unnoticeable in good lighting. i still have one deep scar that i hope to take care of with tca. if not, i might have it surgically removed.

why is it that scars seem to look worse when seen from the reflectiojn of car windows? you think that's what others see when they look at you?

I think that it's interesting that the scars that bother us the most are sometimes not the scars that are actually the most noticeable to other people. I've had consults with a couple of doctors about my scarring - they are always looking at the sides of my cheeks. I'm always so focused on the scars on the front of my cheeks. I could care less about the sides of my cheeks. But it occurs to me that if that's where they're looking to fix, maybe that's where it looks the worst...

derms have problems looking us in the eyes so they look at side of cheeks. i think this tends to make them minimize acne and scars since side of cheek is outside the t-zone and much less a problem area.

they can touch their hand to your chin, sway your head, turn their spot light on, and peer at it to pretend their actually thinking about your acne in a patient-based way. truth is the nurse takes some minor notes on you (mainly chief complaint) and for the ten minutes they keep you waiting in the room the doctor goes online to see what he is supposed to do. so he doesnt look like an idiot in front of you.