Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meefrocket

How Is This Regimen?

I just got off of 'tane and as a preventative measure I have been doing the following -

Wash with Evoclin

Moisturize with Pond's cream

Spot treat with Tinted Clearasil.

Does this sound okay? Am I clogging up my pores like crazy?

Guest Sincerely_Me

I just got off of 'tane and as a preventative measure I have been doing the following -

Wash with Evoclin

Moisturize with Pond's cream

Spot treat with Tinted Clearasil.

Does this sound okay? Am I clogging up my pores like crazy?

Well...I'd switch moisturizing and BP, IMO.

and no, you're not.

I would switch moisturizers if you're worried about clogging pores since creams contain waxy thickeners that can potentially clog pores. The Ponds doesn't seem to be an exception based on the ingredients. However, just because a product contains potentially pore-clogging ingredients doesn't mean it will clog your pores. If you notice a breakout after two weeks, the cream may be the culprit.

The Clearasil Tinted Creams also contain potentially problematic ingredients even though they are acne products (I hope you're using the benzoyl peroxide version and not the resorcinol/sulfur version, which lists SD alcohol 40 as the first inactive ingredient). Again, wait two weeks to see how your skin is doing.

If you are having breakouts, the only way to know which product may be causing them is through experimenting by using only one cream product at a time for two weeks. Also, there's always the chance that something else is causing you to breakout other than those products (like the weather or a change in your tap water).

Which moisturizer would you reccomend?

I have been using Jergen's Natural Glow during the day, I wonder if some of the tinting products are making me break out. It has been the only moisturizer I have found that sort of evened out the tone of my skin so I have been sticking with it. I was on it for the duration of my Accutane treatment, but perhaps now that I am no longer on the Accutane it's effects are showing.

Also, Clearasil tinted is no good?

I checked out the ingredients for the Jergens Natural Glow (for the face and body since you didn't specify which one) and it looks like the formulations contain some potentially pore-clogging ingredients. To determine whether or not the moisturizer was breaking you out, try using another moisturizer instead for a few weeks.

Here is an alternative to the Jergens Natural Glow which looks less likely to be problematic for the pores:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp...&id=prod2247570

In addition to adding some color to the skin, it also contains a broad-spectrum SPF 15, which you absolutely need every day.

The Clearasil tinted may be fine for you (assuming it's not the version marketed to adults, which as I mentioned above contains a lot of alcohol), but if you want to try something else to see whether or not your pores might like fair better, there are other options available...

If you're looking for a good 10% benzoyl peroxide product, try Clean and Clear's Maximum Strength Persa-Gel 10. If you want a good 5% benzoyl peroxide product, try Mary Kay's Acne Treatment Gel. If you'd rather use a good 2.5% benzoyl peroxide product, try Dan's CSR Gel, Paula's Choice Blemish Fighting Solution, or Proactive's Repairing Lotion.