Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well firstly, Hi my name is Joey. I am 17 and have struggled with acne for a few years now. Up until recently, acne hadn't had a dramatic effect on my life. Then I started getting cystic acne and my skin was never clear. It slowly got worse until acne was was something I was always worrying about. I am easily stressed but acne was never the focus of any of my stress and all of a sudden it was. I felt very insecure when I went out and avoided many social situations because of my complexion. I have since seen a derm and have been prescribed liiquid Medco to be applied 20 min. after washing, Tretinoin cream also 20 min. after washing, and 500 mg Amoxicillin one taken morning and night. I am pleased to say that my acne is clearing up a lot. I don't get large cysts anymore. It is so nice to wake up and not find a huge one somewhere on my face. I still get minor pimples but otherwise things are great. Except for a whole new problem.

Not until this past school year had I noticed that I had very oily skin. At school and various other places kids would often ask "Are you hot?" or "Why are you so wet?". I didn't understand what they meant so I'd ask and they's say "Well you are sweating A LOT!". I then realized it was the oil they were referring to. I would say tell them what it was and it turned a lot of people off. They just didn't understand. The oily skin hadn't been such a problem but I've noticed it is just getting worse. It use to be that after I washed in the morning (about 7 AM) my skin wasn't oily till about noon. But now my skin starts to become oily less than an hour after washing. If i let it be, it looks like a flood on my face by the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I am very ecstatic to finally be getting clear skin but I would like to know if there is hope in ridding myself of the oil problem. Thanks.

hmmmmm,

i am not exactly sure what you should do, but it sounds like a little BP without moisturizer might do the trick, though i do not know how it would react with the stuff you are already using

-bob

I know your pain. Oil beads out of my pores 20 min. after washing and ppl have said same thing to me about sweating. I have never personally seen aother person as oily as I am. No topical creams...BP or such will control the oil. Its internal and I hear Accutane is only option for severe cases like ours. Im hoping I get on it soon. It feels like glue and is nasty looking. However, I have acne unlike you. For now, Clinac OC is the closet thing I've found to help control the oil somewhat.

I went to see my derm today. He basically said he doesn't want and will not do anything about it. He told me anything to help control it will do more harm thatn good. He also doesn't want me using anything other than what he has prescribed, including facewash. I must use Dove soap according to him. As for Accutane, he would never put me on it, not in his wildest dreams. I don't need it anyway as far as acne, but it would be great to not have oil seaping from my pores. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll ask my derm about the Clinac.

If its an internal problem and something you may have to live w/ for a few more years, just try getting those cleanser wipes and carry them around in your pocket, then once every while pop one out in the bathroom and wipe down your face softly removing the surface oil.. could work. My trouble is I have an oily face, and at the same time a very dry face, so these cleansing wipes wouldn't work for me, they would dry me up severely, but if you dont have dry skin, give em a shot.

Yea, Solarith that what Im planning on doing. I need Accutane and I'll visit 100 dermatologist til I get it. I know my skin and what it repsonds to and all the other prescribed crap doesnt work so this should.

Yesac a few more years? People with chronic VERY oily skin never see a let up and I know I've had it for 20 years. Those wipes are temporary and if one can shut off the pumping action of the overdrive sebaceous glands then it would be like heaven.

I'll remind everybody that an obvious strategy for excessive oiliness would be some kind of antiandrogenic therapy. However, males can't use systemic antiandrogens, and topical ones are still mostly in the experimental stage. But one thing you can TRY (no guarantees here!) would be washing your face with Nizoral shampoo. The active ingredient (ketoconazole) has been shown to have antiandrogenic properties, and a famous French study from a few years ago showed a 20% decrease in the size of sebaceous glands in the scalp with regular use of the shampoo. It seems quite reasonable to think that the same thing could happen to sebaceous glands in facial skin, too, so this is something that some of you more adventurous types might consider trying. Keep in mind, though, that the shampoo is rather strong and harsh, and some people _may_ find it too irritating to use on their faces. Treat it like what it is, which is an experiment. Be careful.

If you do decide to try this experiment, use it for AT LEAST a month before judging whether or not it's working for you. That's the minimum period of time that researchers use to evaluate even serious antiandrogens like 17a-propylmesterolone, inocoterone acetate, RU58841, etc. Preferably even longer.

Bryan

I'll remind everybody that an obvious strategy for excessive oiliness would be some kind of antiandrogenic therapy. However, males can't use systemic antiandrogens, and topical ones are still mostly in the experimental stage. But one thing you can TRY (no guarantees here!) would be washing your face with Nizoral shampoo. The active ingredient (ketoconazole) has been shown to have antiandrogenic properties, and a famous French study from a few years ago showed a 20% decrease in the size of sebaceous glands in the scalp with regular use of the shampoo. It seems quite reasonable to think that the same thing could happen to sebaceous glands in facial skin, too, so this is something that some of you more adventurous types might consider trying. Keep in mind, though, that the shampoo is rather strong and harsh, and some people _may_ find it too irritating to use on their faces. Treat it like what it is, which is an experiment. Be careful.

If you do decide to try this experiment, use it for AT LEAST a month before judging whether or not it's working for you. That's the minimum period of time that researchers use to evaluate even serious antiandrogens like 17a-propylmesterolone, inocoterone acetate, RU58841, etc. Preferably even longer.

Bryan

My derm just prescribed me Nizoral for my bad seborrheic dermatitis and well ... I could give this a try

I wonder if more is known about the adverse effects of applying nizoral pink fluid on the skin or still we have the green light and it is a safe thing to do

Did you know that Nizoral has been showed to have positive effect for alopecia too?

Yes, two double blind clinical studies have showed that long term use of ketoconazole 1% or 2% products have positive effects for androgenic alopecia like thickening of the hair and modest regrowth in the hairline crow. The mechanism which would make Nizarol effective for androgenic alopecia is not known though and more studies are being conducted right now to understand more of the effect of Nizoral on hair loss

Will post the ref when I find them

Danny

Did you know that Nizoral has been showed to have positive effect for alopecia too?

Yes! That's the French study I was referring to! ;)

The mechanism which would make Nizarol effective for androgenic alopecia is not known though and more studies are being conducted right now to understand more of the effect of Nizoral on hair loss

That's been a source of some debate on the hairloss sites. Some people think it's the antifungal effect, but I tend to think that it is in fact the antiandrogenic properties of ketoconazole.

Bryan

and you tried it on your face?

I have oily skin, rosacea and acne but I'm allergic to BP

I'm tempted to try Nizoral but I wonder whether it would adverse effect my skin ...

what do you think ?

Danny

I've heard of guys using Saw Palmetto (which has antiandrogenic effects) to control oily skin...you should look into it.

I have very oily skin as well and I haven't found a cure yet, but I do know how to help control it. I wash my face 2x a day with Brevoxyl 4 wash. Throughout the day when I begin to get shiny I use Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets to wipe my face. Keep your hair washed, and DO NOT touch your face. Hope this helps. :)

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have very oily skin as well and I haven't found a cure yet, but I do know how to help control it. I wash my face 2x a day with Brevoxyl 4 wash. Throughout the day when I begin to get shiny I use Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets to wipe my face. Keep your hair washed, and DO NOT touch your face. Hope this helps. :)

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yea, I use those wipes but its a pain in the ass . I wish I could get rid of it all together and not use anything. :pray: Accutane.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yea, I use those wipes but its a pain in the ass . I wish I could get rid of it all together and not use anything. :pray: Accutane.

I try not to have such high expectations.

and you tried it on your face?

I have oily skin, rosacea and acne but I'm allergic to BP

I'm tempted to try Nizoral but I wonder whether it would adverse effect my skin ...

what do you think ?

I've never used Nizoral myself. If you decide to try it yourself on your face, it's probably a good idea to build up its use gradually. Let your facial skin become accustomed to it, so to speak.

Bryan

I've heard of guys using Saw Palmetto ...

<snip>

I have very oily skin as well and I haven't found a cure yet, but I do know how to help control it. I wash my face 2x a day with Brevoxyl 4 wash ...

<snap>

I've never used Nizoral myself ...

<snip-snap>

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help !!

I've tried Nizoral years back, more hype, more junk. You're better off just going to your local drug store and just pulling a random cream off of the shelf and applying it to your skin...it would probably work just the same as Nizoral (junk)

Well firstly, Hi my name is Joey. I am 17 and have struggled with acne for a few years now. Up until recently, acne hadn't had a dramatic effect on my life. Then I started getting cystic acne and my skin was never clear. It slowly got worse until acne was was something I was always worrying about. I am easily stressed but acne was never the focus of any of my stress and all of a sudden it was. I felt very insecure when I went out and avoided many social situations because of my complexion. I have since seen a derm and have been prescribed liiquid Medco to be applied 20 min. after washing, Tretinoin cream also 20 min. after washing, and 500 mg Amoxicillin one taken morning and night. I am pleased to say that my acne is clearing up a lot. I don't get large cysts anymore. It is so nice to wake up and not find a huge one somewhere on my face. I still get minor pimples but otherwise things are great. Except for a whole new problem.

Not until this past school year had I noticed that I had very oily skin. At school and various other places kids would often ask "Are you hot?" or "Why are you so wet?". I didn't understand what they meant so I'd ask and they's say "Well you are sweating A LOT!". I then realized it was the oil they were referring to. I would say tell them what it was and it turned a lot of people off. They just didn't understand. The oily skin hadn't been such a problem but I've noticed it is just getting worse. It use to be that after I washed in the morning (about 7 AM) my skin wasn't oily till about noon. But now my skin starts to become oily less than an hour after washing. If i let it be, it looks like a flood on my face by the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I am very ecstatic to finally be getting clear skin but I would like to know if there is hope in ridding myself of the oil problem. Thanks.

What has helped me alot actually is Jessfoliation .. ive been doing it since November '05 and fora while my skin got really oily bc all the dead skinw as coming off and it let the oil flow freely through my pores. Now oil isn't an issue anymore .. its minimal nothing a piece of toilet paper cannot fix. What else works are clay masks .. Queen Helene has awsome masks buy all of them lol. The Mint One i would use a few times a week but the Clay one i use very often and it makes ur complexion like perfect .. give it a try.

What else works are clay masks .. Queen Helene has awsome masks buy all of them lol. The Mint One i would use a few times a week but the Clay one i use very often and it makes ur complexion like perfect .. give it a try.

Bentonite does work!

I can attest first-hand to that

I've tried Nizoral years back, more hype, more junk. You're better off just going to your local drug store and just pulling a random cream off of the shelf and applying it to your skin...it would probably work just the same as Nizoral (junk)

You used it on your face?

Bryan

or get rid of it with accutane? :D just a thought lol.

I've been looking into anti-androgens for a while now, and here's my list:

licorice root extract

exercising a lot (higher testosterone while you exercise, baseline declines however)

meditation / relaxation exercise (adrenal glands also make testosterone)

nizoral

Stuff with estrogenic effects:

black cohosh

soy

anything else with isoflavones, like peanuts

So i've been trying to incorporate these things in gradually.. we'll see how it goes!!

What has helped me alot actually is Jessfoliation .. ive been doing it since November '05 and fora while my skin got really oily bc all the dead skinw as coming off and it let the oil flow freely through my pores. Now oil isn't an issue anymore .. its minimal nothing a piece of toilet paper cannot fix. What else works are clay masks .. Queen Helene has awsome masks buy all of them lol. The Mint One i would use a few times a week but the Clay one i use very often and it makes ur complexion like perfect .. give it a try.

about the queen helene masks, does the mint one work well, if ur talking about the clay one is it the mud one because thats the only one i saw!

for me, one thing is for sure and that is too much sebum production is an internal problem.