Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paq12

Benzoyl Peroxide Warning?

What are your opinions on the article below from the given website:

http://www.eastparkresearch.com/benzoyl_peroxide_warning.htm

"URGENT BENZOYL PEROXIDE WARNING!*

Benzoyl peroxide generates free radicals in the skin. Its effect is similar to unprotected sun exposure. The redness of the skin (erythema), caused by sun exposure and benzoyl peroxide, is the result of free radicals (oxidative stress) upon the skin. Repeated sun exposure or benzoyl peroxide use generates free radicals that damage the skin's structure and cellular DNA, resulting in premature aging of the skin. The extent of the damage and aging from benzoyl peroxide is determined by the concentration of benzoyl peroxide, the frequency of application, and the duration of its use.

Because benzoyl peroxide generates free radicals, it interferes with and slows the healing process. The red and brown marks that are a part of the acne healing process may last weeks longer when benzoyl peroxide is a regular part of the daily regimen.

Benzoyl peroxide has been linked to cancer for a number of years and many research journal entries state "benzoyl peroxide is a free radical-generating skin tumor promoting agent." Performing a word search of the words "benzoyl peroxide cancer" in PubMed in the National Library of Medicine produces 102 articles from medical publications dealing with research aspects of benzoyl peroxide and cancer. About two-thirds of the research supports linkage between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer.

"In 1995 the FDA changed benzoyl peroxide from a Category I (safe) to a Category III (safety is uncertain) ingredient and stated this action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice ..." Additionally the FDA charged manufacturers with the responsibility of providing this information to consumers so they could make educated decisions. A more complete FDA statement is at the bottom of this page, for your reference.

FDA / BENZOYL PEROXIDE ACTION: FEBRUARY 17, 1995*

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) / Department of Health and Human Services

"Topical Drug Products Containing Benzoyl Peroxide: Required Labeling"

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing additional labeling (warning and directions) for all topically-applied acne treatment drug products containing benzoyl peroxide. The warning advises consumers to avoid unnecessary sun exposure and to use a sunscreen when using a benzoyl peroxide product to treat acne ..."

"The agency classified benzoyl peroxide from its previous status Category I to Category III status. This action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice and a study that reported that benzoyl peroxide has tumor initiation potential."

"FDA evaluated these data and information and determined that the studies show that benzoyl peroxide is a skin tumor promoter in more than one strain of mice as well as in hamsters. To date, topical studies (which have shown only tumor promotion) have been of short duration (about 52 weeks).

Although animal data and human epidemiology data are available, the agency has determined that further studies are necessary to adequately assess the tumorigenic potential of benzoyl peroxide. These studies are currently being conducted.

The agency acknowledges that it may take several years for these studies to be completed and analyzed, and for the final determination to be made on benzoyl peroxide's safety."

*J Biomed Mater Res A. 2004 Dec 15;71(4):682-92  J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2004;18(2):107-14 â€â€

Indian J Exp Biol. 2003 Aug;41(8):827-31 "

my opinion is that its posted on a website advertising herbal "acne treatments"

and bp isnt herbal, so they are trying to diminish their competition by saying that sort of thing.

BP helps fight acne. FACT.

Its also sold OVER THE COUNTER, not perscription.

which means its had extensive tests so the general public isnt exposed to some random chemical that wil endanger their health etc.

That website is garbage

Yeah, just compare their testimonials page to Dan's, lol. They'll use every trick in the book to steer people to their junk.

BP is the most widely used effective topical treatment for acne, so they probs tryng to make people not use it, and try something else.

a marketing scam in my eyes.

BP = the best :)

^ lol your silly then

considering i use it and never had problems

and here il link you to this page.

if you got a spare 3days read all the success storys lol http://www.acne.org/success.php

im sure they speak louder than some shitty herbal acne "remedy" site lol :D

We all have to decide what is an acceptable level of risk in everything that we do.

I take a huge risk getting into my vehicle each day and driving around! Every time you step out into the sun, you take a risk. After all, we KNOW the sun causes skin cancer.

And eating, fruits and veggies are covered in pesticides, that's risky. And meats are pumped full of hormones and antibiotics, that's risky too.

So, if you are uncomfortable using benzoyl peroxide, there are other things you can try. In my experience though, bp is the most effective over-the-counter acne medication out there. And derms have been prescribing it too for over 30 years, and it has a good track record. So, for me, I am comfortable using benzoyl peroxide.

But, if you aren't comfortable with it, maybe schedule an appointment with a derm or your family physician to talk about your concerns. See what they have to say. Or you can even talk to a pharmacist about your concerns. Most of them are more than happy to take a few minutes to help a customer out.

I don't think the question is whether or not bp effective, which obviously it is. The question is whether or not it is associated with cancer. There does appear to be research that has shown it to be a tumor promoter.

So does it have the potential to cause damage in the long term? We don't know if it does or it doesn't for a fact since no studies appear to have done. Further research probably has to be done to establish its risk. Until then, we can only hope that it is as harmless as we make it out to be.

well if BP can promote cancer or whatnot, why not live your prime w/out acne and leave your elder years to skin cancer instead of the other way around :D

but yeah pretty scary lol

so what is the verdict? causes cancer or not? how risky is it?

im considering going off bp (altho ive purchased 4 new tubes). i just dont like the slow process of healing red marks and i think to myself, thats gotta be bad if bp is not allowing your skin to heal itself.

at this stage it doesnt appear to irritate my skin, but im still really oily only when on bp, when im off it, it is okay.

btw - ive been on the regimen for 3 months now, have red marks left. some of the red marks have turned into black moles. hope they go away!

Well this all depends on how you use it. Using benzyl peroxide heavily can cause damage but if used properly your body can deal with those free radicals, because even the air we breathe are free radicals :shock: yet i dont have lung cancer. But for average use for mild acne cancer shouldnt be a big concern.

my opinion is that its posted on a website advertising herbal "acne treatments"

and bp isnt herbal, so they are trying to diminish their competition by saying that sort of thing.

BP helps fight acne. FACT.

Its also sold OVER THE COUNTER, not perscription.

which means its had extensive tests so the general public isnt exposed to some random chemical that wil endanger their health etc.

That website is garbage

just because something is over the counter does not mean its gone under extensive testing. In fact it can mean the opposite. Im am currently using the regimen. However I do wonder about long term effects of this shit.

We all have to decide what is an acceptable level of risk in everything that we do.

I take a huge risk getting into my vehicle each day and driving around! Every time you step out into the sun, you take a risk. After all, we KNOW the sun causes skin cancer.

And eating, fruits and veggies are covered in pesticides, that's risky. And meats are pumped full of hormones and antibiotics, that's risky too.

So, if you are uncomfortable using benzoyl peroxide, there are other things you can try. In my experience though, bp is the most effective over-the-counter acne medication out there. And derms have been prescribing it too for over 30 years, and it has a good track record. So, for me, I am comfortable using benzoyl peroxide.

But, if you aren't comfortable with it, maybe schedule an appointment with a derm or your family physician to talk about your concerns. See what they have to say. Or you can even talk to a pharmacist about your concerns. Most of them are more than happy to take a few minutes to help a customer out.

Humans have been going out in the sun for thousands of years. We are evolved to be able to handle it. Humans have not been using "generous amounts of BP" for thousands of years. We are not eveolved to handle that. I use the shit but i do wonder about it. The drying stinging and the redness are your bodies wasy of telling you that its not good for you.

if you are uncomfortable with it, don't use it.

Nobody here is making any of you use something you aren't comfortable using.

Drying, stinging and redness are all side-effects of all topical acne medications. I'd rather deal with that than having pus-filled lesions on my face.

if you are uncomfortable with it, don't use it.

Nobody here is making any of you use something you aren't comfortable using.

Drying, stinging and redness are all side-effects of all topical acne medications. I'd rather deal with that than having pus-filled lesions on my face.

I'm not at all trying to be an ass, but drying, stinging and redness are definately NOT side effects of all tropical acne medications, in fact, most do not cause this.

Why I came to post;

If benzoyl peroxide works for your acne and you are comfortable with the effects it has on your skin/ or lack their of, then good for you. You must do what works for you. I know that if I had something that just irritated my skin but cleared my acne, without other side effects, I would use it.

Benzoyl peroxide irritates my skin very much, however I used to use the proactive system everyday and got used to the side effects. Now when I use DDF Benzoyl peroxide, I spot treat, and wherever I do this I get either scars or bad long lasting red marks. When I get a scar it is a large indent, colored in red. When I don't use bp I do not scar and my redmarks heal very fast.

I will continue using it as well. I do look better now than i did 8 months ago. Im saying that i do have concerns with it. I too would rather deal with some side effect then pus filled blisters as you call them. Theres a saying in medicine and that is that there no such thing as a magic bullet. That means you cant solve one problem without creating another. You just have to weigh possible risks with possible benefits. Its not fair to say that BP is absolutely harmless because we dont know that. People bu clearasil all the time but most of them arent slothering on a handful at a time twice a day for extended periods of time.

I'm not at all trying to be an ass, but drying, stinging and redness are definately NOT side effects of all tropical acne medications, in fact, most do not cause this.

Read the lable of most topical acne medications and they will list drying, stinging, irritation and redness as possible side-effects.

But, arguing about it won't get us anywhere.

What it boils down to is what each individual person is willing to use for this aggravating condition called acne.

I've used a variety of prescription and nonprescription medications over my lifetime to treat my acne, and out of them ALL, 2.5% benzoyl peroxide has been the least irritating thing. I realize this isn't going to hold true for everyone.

But for those that do not want to use bp, there are other options out there. Your mileage may vary.

Your body can do a lot to prevent cancer too, though. The research was done on mice and hampsters, and probably in excessive dosages. I might bring up the fact that despite the popularity of testing on mice, they still are not humans. You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, because people like me or you can make a website claiming that Jesus was a squaredancing black woman, or whatever we feel like. I wouldn't worry about anything until they conduct a long-term experiment using human subjects that links BP to cancer.

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, because people like me or you can make a website claiming that Jesus was a squaredancing black woman, or whatever we feel like.

If we followed this advice, most of us wouldn't have tried the CSR. There really is no reason why we should believe acne.org over the website that I posted. Seriously, Dan is a smart guy for making this website, but does he have a PhD, MD, or other graduate degree?

I'm not sure if he does, but don't think so since there really isn't information about his educational background on this site. I actually would feel much better about the CSR if I knew Dan's scientific background.

Seriously, Dan is a smart guy for making this website, but does he have a PhD, MD, or other graduate degree?

I'm not sure if he does, but don't think so since there really isn't information about his educational background on this site. I actually would feel much better about the CSR if I knew Dan's scientific background.

All about Dan

i wouldnt b surprised if BP did have an affect on creating free radicals but i doubt it would a significant amount. Plus if anyone is that worried then .. use other products with antioxidants and vitamins in them .. like i make a Vitamin C paste for my face which builds collagen adn helps destroy free radicals, amazing btw and it really helps significantly. Or like i have suggested before (juss no1 takes it seriously) tea really helps .. full of antoxidants .. i havent done it in a few weeks due to no time but i would drink alot of tea and put the warm tea bag grains on my face like a mask .. messy but helped my skin's complexion.

Read the lable of most topical acne medications and they will list drying, stinging, irritation and redness as possible side-effects.

But, arguing about it won't get us anywhere.

What it boils down to is what each individual person is willing to use for this aggravating condition called acne.

I've used a variety of prescription and nonprescription medications over my lifetime to treat my acne, and out of them ALL, 2.5% benzoyl peroxide has been the least irritating thing. I realize this isn't going to hold true for everyone.

But for those that do not want to use bp, there are other options out there. Your mileage may vary.

I was not trying to argue, and your right it won't get us anywhere. I guess it really depends on whether your looking at chemical/unnatural topicals, or natural topicals. I only use natural products, none of them has such warnings. So lets agree that half of topicals have this warning. We will eliminate the word MOST.

Seriously, Dan is a smart guy for making this website, but does he have a PhD, MD, or other graduate degree?

All about Dan

I think he's very smart for making this website, but as for the CSR, I don't see whats so great about it. It's bp with a moisturizer because your skin gets so dry. Sounds like common sense to me. Again, I'm not trying to be an ass, there is no negative tone to my voice, its easy to misinterpret text. Oh wait, he thought of a gentle cleanse to use with irritated skin... genius... now I'm just trying to be funny... not mocking... maybe dan a little. I also HATE BP . it is responsible for my stubborn redmarks... and ALL my scars. My brother has been using proactive for YEARS, mostly just the repairing lotion and I can see how damaged his skin is. It did help clear up his acne though.