Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hopefully Optimistic

Regime Stopped Working!!

Hey everyone,

I started the regime about 8 months ago and it really improved my skin for four months. It was great, I rarely though about acne and I was so much more ougoing and confident. However, one day I got a breakout and it just never stopped. And the pimples I got were completely different then the ones I used to get. I started getting huge red pimples that would appear overnight and only last for 2-3 days. But as soon as one breakout was gone, the next was gone. It was wierd becuase I didn't change the regime at all. I think my skin just got used to the BP and it stopped being effective. I think the regime was only successful for the first 3-4 months becuase I had never used BP before, I always used SA. Now I'm off the dan's regime and my skin is no better or no worse.

New regime:

Morning: wash with panoxyl 5% BP

apply panoxyl acne gel 5% BP to pimples (small amount)

moisturize with noncondogenetic

apply clean and clear blemish wand to pimples

Night: wash with panoxyl 5%BP

jessfoliation with cetaphil

polysporin (Neo) on pimples

every 2-3 days I do a 30 minute aspirine mask (which I just love!!)

I really like my new regime. anyone else had a similar experience that they would like to share??

Good Luck all,

Jen

that's awful what happened! I'm sure you are pretty frustrated.

I've been on the Regimen coming up on 17 months and so far it is still working well.

Dan says that alot of the time when people think the CSR has stopped working, it is because people get a bit too relaxed over time, and aren't as diligent as they once were, and slack off on the bp. Either that or your acne has moved on to 'persitent' or 'severe' and the CSR isn't strong enough for you anymore.

If you want to, read over the Biggest Mistakes here and see if anything rings a bell for you:

http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

wait, so it is possible that your skin can build up a resistance to bp, even though you do everything exactly the same everyday?

^ no, your skin cannot become resistant to bp. It doesn't work that way.

It's just that skin can change over time due to hormones, aging, life, etc. And Acne can change from mild to severe (and back again) even though you are treating it.

So if, for instance, your hormones got out of whack and caused your acne to get more severe, the CSR might not be effective enough for it even though it is great for milder acne.

I could be completely wrong, but I did read that your skin can become resistant to the BP. The article said that you may have to increase the strength of the BP over time. But like I said, I could be wrong

Thanks for the suggestion and I did visit the common mistakes link. But I can honestly say I did the regime in its totality every single day. Even if I can home at 3 in the morning completely drunk (which isn't often) I would still rub bp into my skin for like 10 minutes. My boyfriend always laughs at how long it takes me to get ready in the morning!! he he. Thats for the advice :)

I'm in the same boat. It seems my skin goes through waves where my skin will clear and then breakout even though I keep the regimen consistent. I agree with the one post that skin does evolve through time as a result of hormones, perhaps diet and the changing of seasons. The areas where I break out differs from season as well. The summer months are usually my forehead and sides of head while the winter months are my cheeks.

I just started using the polysporine a week ago so I can't be resistant to it already. I do use the panoxyl aqua gel (also just started a week ago). Is there another BP you would suggest. I used neutragena on the spot 2.5% BP for the last year so I though I would upgrade the strengh.

Thanks for the comments!

The thing is that it takes 8-12 weeks for a breakout to actually occur. Did you change your regimen 2-3 months ago by any chance?

Is there another BP you would suggest.

Dan's BP, hands down. It's good sized, rather cheap, and goes on nicely. Plus, Dan's amazing so we should support him. ; D

Hmm what was your regimen before you changed it? That would probably be more useful info to see if there's anything you could have done to cause the spots coming back.

The new regimen doesn't sound much like the regimen.

How old are you?

that's awful what happened! I'm sure you are pretty frustrated.

I've been on the Regimen coming up on 17 months and so far it is still working well.

Dan says that alot of the time when people think the CSR has stopped working, it is because people get a bit too relaxed over time, and aren't as diligent as they once were, and slack off on the bp. Either that or your acne has moved on to 'persitent' or 'severe' and the CSR isn't strong enough for you anymore.

If you want to, read over the Biggest Mistakes here and see if anything rings a bell for you:

http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

thats what happened to me. a couple of weeks ago my skin was getting pretty bad, but i knew it couldn't be that the regimen wasn't working. i realised i was just slacking off on the regimen. i wasn't waiting 15mins after washing, i wasn't rubbin the bp in properly, i was adding moisturiser too soon, etc. i'm now back to following the regimen strictly, and there's been an amazing improvement. :D

i think it's a good idea to check if acne has gotten worse (or just has started breaking out) in the places where you don't put the bp so that way you will know if your hormones have been getting more out of balance, basically making the acne worse.

if so, then i guess that must be the problem.

My old regime was exactly as Dan prescribed...

I would shower and wash my face with neutragena oil free acne wash

get dressed and clean my room (which took about 10 min)

Wash my hands

Apply loads of neutragena on the spot 2.5%BP

Then I would eat breakfast and dry my hair while the BP dried

Then wash my hands again

Apply Moisturel (noncondogenic) moisture

Repeat all steps except last two at night

I am 100% positive that I have not slacked or changed the regime in any way. I'm 20 now and was 19 when I started the regime. I started the regime becuase I had the worst breakout in my life and the regime completley cleared me up. I still think the regime is awesome and I would definately recommend it to all my friends, but it's just not for me.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

How your skin looks amazing...congratulations!

My old regime was exactly as Dan prescribed...

I would shower and wash my face with neutragena oil free acne wash

get dressed and clean my room (which took about 10 min)

Wash my hands

Apply loads of neutragena on the spot 2.5%BP

Then I would eat breakfast and dry my hair while the BP dried

Then wash my hands again

Apply Moisturel (noncondogenic) moisture

Repeat all steps except last two at night

I am 100% positive that I have not slacked or changed the regime in any way. I'm 20 now and was 19 when I started the regime. I started the regime becuase I had the worst breakout in my life and the regime completley cleared me up. I still think the regime is awesome and I would definately recommend it to all my friends, but it's just not for me.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Well, just to clarify for those people who may be new here, Dan does NOT recommend Neutrogena Oil-Free acne wash. That wash has 2% Salicylic Acid and is VERY drying. He discourages using products with SA along with the Regimen.

Perhaps over time this wash was too drying and irritating for you, and maybe that might have contributed to your lack of long-term success with the Regimen.

The rest of your routine looks fine, although most people prefer the CSR gel to Neutrogena because it is clear and more economical.

Is there another BP you would suggest.

Dan's BP, hands down. It's good sized, rather cheap, and goes on nicely. Plus, Dan's amazing so we should support him. ; D

agreed.

i think with any regime, your skin will eventually get used to it and become non responsive. i started using differin gel and it worked for a few days but then i became immune to it. maybe go off it for a while then go back on?? :think:

Just to reiterate a point in this thread, your skin cannot become resisitant to benzoyl peroxide. BP isn't like an antibiotic where it kills only the weaker bacteria and allows antibiotic-resistant bacteria to repopulate eventually. What can happen, rarely, is that you develop an allergy to BP even after having used it for a long time, just like how you can get stung by bees without any bad effects as a kid and then a few years later develop an allergy to bee stings. The BP wouldn't stop working in this case, though, but rather cause a painful skin reaction.

Hey everyone,

I started the regime about 8 months ago and it really improved my skin for four months. It was great, I rarely though about acne and I was so much more ougoing and confident. However, one day I got a breakout and it just never stopped. And the pimples I got were completely different then the ones I used to get. I started getting huge red pimples that would appear overnight and only last for 2-3 days. But as soon as one breakout was gone, the next was gone. It was wierd becuase I didn't change the regime at all. I think my skin just got used to the BP and it stopped being effective. I think the regime was only successful for the first 3-4 months becuase I had never used BP before, I always used SA. Now I'm off the dan's regime and my skin is no better or no worse.

New regime:

I really like my new regime. anyone else had a similar experience that they would like to share??

Good Luck all,

Jen

Hey i finally found someone that has shared my same problem ok i had the same difficulties i use one thing then it stops working and i get so mad help please!!!

Dairy may be causing your resistance to improvement. All of the hormones that they pump into cows eventually reaches us and changes our chemical structure. I switched to all soy products and my skin is absolutely amazing! I went through all kinds of treatments before I came across an acne mapping system that showed my breakouts were consistent with too much dairy/ hormones running through my system.

I've.been.in.the.same.boat.as.the.original.poster...worked.great.for.a.few.months.then.boom...acne.started.

coming.back...i.would.get.2-3.good.sized.ones.and.after.one's.gone.away.another.would.come.to.take.it's.place...

after.a.while.i.went.off.the.regimin.and.tried.different.non-bp.related.things.on.my.face...long.story.short,one.combination

of.baking.soda+cetaphel.cleanser+ACV,caused.my.face.to.break.out.even.worse....one.month.later.I.went.back.to.the.CSR.and.

my.face.is.back.to.the.way.it.was.when.i.first.started.the.regimin.

I.believe.you're.skin.in.a.way.gets.used.to.it...i.have.a.feeling.that.i'm.going.to.again.get.acne.despite.maintaining

the.same.routine...at.that.point.i'll.take.a.month.off.and.come.back.to.the.regimin....that's.as.well.my.recommendation.

sorry.for.all.the.periods.as.my.space.button.isn't.working! :wall:

I didn't read all of the responses, so forgive me if I repeat something, but I have a few suggestions.

1. Please try the regimen here at acne.org for best results. I know, duh, you know that, but I'm serious. That means 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, no exfoliation, staying gentle, bla bla bla. Definitely take a look at the biggest mistakes page though. The regimen works amazingly well, but it needs to be followed precisely. Time after time when someone writes me an email with a complaint that the regimen either stopped working or won't work, once we get them precisely on it they get cleared back up...

2. ...with the exception of people who are simply developing severe acne. This sometimes happens. A person will start to get acne. The regimen takes care of their initial light to moderate acne. But, nature decides to give them a more severe case of acne for whatever reason, whether it be hormonal or otherwise. The regimen, nor any topical treatment, is enough sometimes for a more severe case of acne. When I personally developed severe stuff, accutane is what got it under control. http://www.acne.org/accutane.html