Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Willow's (Modified) Face Reality regimen

Pretty much all active spots are gone, just the facial redness is killing me, since all my red marks are so close together they clump up together all over my cheeks forming a figure like my face is a panda.

Pretty much all active spots are gone, just the facial redness is killing me, since all my red marks are so close together they clump up together all over my cheeks forming a figure like my face is a panda.

That should all start to fade over time. I know its hard to wait though!

My skin is doing well - just one tiny noninflamed zit/clogged pore on my chin - Otherwise, I am clear of active spots.

I had a facial last thursday - there was just a tiny bit to extract and no inflamed acne at all. I haven't had much noticeable peeling since the facial. I did peel somewhat the morning afterwards, which is unusual. I usually have no peeling or flakes until 2 days afterwards and then I'll peel like crazy for about 2 days. Besides the initial peeling I only had a tiny bit of flaking yesterday. I am hoping that its not going to be a delayed reaction that hits me tomorrow. I have to do some work collecting data in a domestic violence court tomorrow and will be out interacting with lots of people. Then I have to interview several mediators and some other child custody litigants at the family court services office. I always feel more self conscious when my skin is notably peeling (I guess it beats having a bunch of active acne though!!)

Yes, peeling beats active spots hand down. Also, might I add, I really feel less oily just from 2 days of taking B5 Supplements, and Centrum A to Z. Today will be my 3rd day, and tomorrow I will have to up my B5 dosage from 5G to 10G, kind of weird taking 20 pills a day, feels as if I am going to suicide or something, I wish my local GNC would sell like bigger bottles of them instead of just 100 capsules. It is a hassle to buy so many bottles! :)

ugh! I am seriously frustrated now. Breakouts are getting worse, skin is dry, and overall very unhappy. And it will be 4 months (16 weeks!) this Sunday since I have been going to FRSC.

I am going to try and stop by today after work and have a little talk...

ugh! I am seriously frustrated now. Breakouts are getting worse, skin is dry, and overall very unhappy. And it will be 4 months (16 weeks!) this Sunday since I have been going to FRSC.

I am going to try and stop by today after work and have a little talk...

Definitely talk to them about your concerns. Maybe see if you can talk directly with Laura or Pat.

Just got back from visiting them. Added salicylic to my regime and Laura also gave me this to try out:

http://www.lightstim.com/acne_skin_care_light.html

I feel a bit dorky while using it.. but at this point I am willing to try anything. Doing some quick research on this forum, it seems like quite a few people saw improvement by using this type of light therapy. I just hope I see these results as well.

I will keep you guys posted.

Good luck with the new product and with the light therapy. I didn't know that they used light therapy with their clients. Definitely keep us updated on how it works!

Just got back from visiting them. Added salicylic to my regime and Laura also gave me this to try out:

http://www.lightstim.com/acne_skin_care_light.html

I feel a bit dorky while using it.. but at this point I am willing to try anything. Doing some quick research on this forum, it seems like quite a few people saw improvement by using this type of light therapy. I just hope I see these results as well.

I will keep you guys posted.

Good luck with the new product and with the light therapy. I didn't know that they used light therapy with their clients. Definitely keep us updated on how it works!

Pat was saying it is under clinical trial so I guess they just started using it.

Well, I've been on my regimen with Face Reality for 2 weeks now. Overall I think it is gradually causing a reduction in breakouts, and it's definitely improving the texture of my skin. My case is sort of unusual in that I was mostly clear from the beginning due to Accutane, so I'm not really sure if it's the Face Reality products or the lingering effects of Accutane that's helping me, but I guess time will tell. Today I upped to using the glycolic every day instead of every 2 days. I had kind of a bad breakout the other day, but I recently went to a friend's birthday party and porked out on junk food, so that may have had some sort of impact.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good about this. Very optimistic that things are only going to keep getting better and better, it's just a slow process and I need to be patient. I'm also trying to gain weight and I want to start taking this whey protein powder to help out, but I'm afraid it might break me out so I want to wait until I'm completely clear to try it. Right now my breakouts are too unpredictable, so it'd just be too hard to tell if it was having some effect.

By the way, that Light Stim thing looks pretty awesome. I'm glad to know there are so many new products out there to treat this. Maybe it's unjustified, but I have a feeling within 5-10 years a true "cure" will be developed and acne will become a thing of the past. Maybe this will be it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../nhealth417.xml

Hi Willow and everyone,

Just wanted to update you on my progress at Face Reality. First of all, Willow, it sounds like you are doing better these days and that's fantastic. Heaven knows that when we are faced with challenges, we not only have to deal with them but also the pimples that come with.

It's been a little over two months for me and I'm happy to say I think the worst is over (knock on wood). About three weeks into the regimen, I was at my absolute worst. It was truly disheartening. But now I have no more ginormous bumps, but I still have to contend with the months it will take for the marks to fade. I just have to keep telling myself to be patient, and be happy that it's now easier to cover them up with makeup. I also am starting to think I might just be one of those people who will always have one or two active spots all the time and never be clear. Only time will tell.

So overall, I'm happy with my decision to go to Face Reality after years of self-diagnosis, and hope to be even happier about it in the future! Even though there are still a few bumps and dryness, it's really helpful to have someone constantly monitor and adjust my regimen as needed.

Well, I've been on my regimen with Face Reality for 2 weeks now. Overall I think it is gradually causing a reduction in breakouts, and it's definitely improving the texture of my skin. My case is sort of unusual in that I was mostly clear from the beginning due to Accutane, so I'm not really sure if it's the Face Reality products or the lingering effects of Accutane that's helping me, but I guess time will tell. Today I upped to using the glycolic every day instead of every 2 days. I had kind of a bad breakout the other day, but I recently went to a friend's birthday party and porked out on junk food, so that may have had some sort of impact.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good about this. Very optimistic that things are only going to keep getting better and better, it's just a slow process and I need to be patient. I'm also trying to gain weight and I want to start taking this whey protein powder to help out, but I'm afraid it might break me out so I want to wait until I'm completely clear to try it. Right now my breakouts are too unpredictable, so it'd just be too hard to tell if it was having some effect.

By the way, that Light Stim thing looks pretty awesome. I'm glad to know there are so many new products out there to treat this. Maybe it's unjustified, but I have a feeling within 5-10 years a true "cure" will be developed and acne will become a thing of the past. Maybe this will be it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../nhealth417.xml

Glad to hear things are working out so far. Things should gradually improve over time - it just takes a bit of time for the products to really start making a difference in the frequency of breakouts.

I'd be careful with the protein powder - make sure it doesn't contain iodine (or kelp, which is extremely high in iodine). Iodine may flare your acne, so be watch out for that.

Hi Willow and everyone,

Just wanted to update you on my progress at Face Reality. First of all, Willow, it sounds like you are doing better these days and that's fantastic. Heaven knows that when we are faced with challenges, we not only have to deal with them but also the pimples that come with.

It's been a little over two months for me and I'm happy to say I think the worst is over (knock on wood). About three weeks into the regimen, I was at my absolute worst. It was truly disheartening. But now I have no more ginormous bumps, but I still have to contend with the months it will take for the marks to fade. I just have to keep telling myself to be patient, and be happy that it's now easier to cover them up with makeup. I also am starting to think I might just be one of those people who will always have one or two active spots all the time and never be clear. Only time will tell.

So overall, I'm happy with my decision to go to Face Reality after years of self-diagnosis, and hope to be even happier about it in the future! Even though there are still a few bumps and dryness, it's really helpful to have someone constantly monitor and adjust my regimen as needed.

Thanks. Things are going better overall - things are still not completely resolved, but have improved a bit.

Glad to hear that the Face Reality treatments and regimen have helped. You may still notice gradual improvements and decreases in the frequency of new breakouts. That is what happened to me. I saw the biggest improvement in the first few months, and then had a setback or two after about the 6 month mark, but nothing like I had started with. After that, I would get occasional spots here or there, but the amount and frequency of breakouts decreased over time. Now, I can go at least couple of months at a time without a new inflamed pimple, although I do still get a few noninflamed clogged pores on a semi-regular basis. I never had more than a couple of them at a time, and often my skin is completely clear.

Glad to hear things are working out so far. Things should gradually improve over time - it just takes a bit of time for the products to really start making a difference in the frequency of breakouts.

I'd be careful with the protein powder - make sure it doesn't contain iodine (or kelp, which is extremely high in iodine). Iodine may flare your acne, so be watch out for that.

Yeah, no iodine. Here are the ingredients in the gainer I bought:

Whey Protein Concentrate, Maltodextrin, Fructose, Cocoa Powder (Dutch Process), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Lecithin

Supposedly it's one of the best protein powders on the market. I'm not crazy about the added sugar, but it's not that bad (only 28 grams) and meant for after exercising, so...

I could really use the extra calories to help me out, but I'm going to wait until my skin is a bit more stable so I can really tell if it has an impact.

I have been off and on my whey protein usage during my treatment and didn't notice any difference to my acne. Presently I am taking about 50g as supplemental.

I have been off and on my whey protein usage during my treatment and didn't notice any difference to my acne. Presently I am taking about 50g as supplemental.

Does the protein suppliment contain iodine? If it does, then it might be part of the reason you are having trouble clearing up.

I am pretty much about 90-95% clear. the rest is just some minor little bumps. On my next appointment I think I will ask them to like change my regimen, now my main goal is to have a good complexion, and even skin tone.

I have a Vivant pamphlet I got in the office that has a regimen that evens skin tone and complexion, it has like TCA peels and other stuff, do you think they will let me use that or they wil just tel me to stick my my current regimen?

I am pretty much about 90-95% clear. the rest is just some minor little bumps. On my next appointment I think I will ask them to like change my regimen, now my main goal is to have a good complexion, and even skin tone.

I have a Vivant pamphlet I got in the office that has a regimen that evens skin tone and complexion, it has like TCA peels and other stuff, do you think they will let me use that or they wil just tel me to stick my my current regimen?

I'm not sure. TCA peels are pretty deep peel from what I know about them. Doesn't hurt to ask them about it though. Ask them about the other product options the next time you go in. They will let you know what they think will work best for your skin.

Ok, I will ask about those. The 3in1 mandelic acid cleanser I am using right now is good but I feel as if it makes my skin a little too much flaky and peely.

Does the protein suppliment contain iodine? If it does, then it might be part of the reason you are having trouble clearing up.

Nope, no iodine, I was careful about that. I stopped taking whey protein for the last few months because Shilpa mentioned that since its derived from milk, it may cause issues for me.

Does the protein suppliment contain iodine? If it doesn't then it shouldn't impact your acne. If it does, then it might be part of the reason you are having trouble clearing up.

Nope, no iodine, I was careful about that. I stopped taking whey protein for the last few months because Shilpa mentioned that since its derived from milk, it may cause issues for me.

I had read something about whey protein possibly being the reason dairy may flare up acne. Its probably good that you are avoiding it. You say above though, that you are taking a 50 g suppliment of whey protein now?

I really think you're overwashing your face :o

2x a day with lots of acids and scrubs is total overkill

Thanks for the concern, but I'm gonna have to disagree. This regimen kept me clear (apart from the occasional spot here or there) for almost 2 years. The scrub is very gentle - it has soft beads and is not too abrasive. The glycolic is only 5% (and only gets used 2x a week), the derm a gel is the gentlest retinoid out there, and the azealic isn't at all irritating - its actually also used on rosacea patients. The salicylic toner doesn't contain much salicylic acid at all - it mostly serves as a way to remove dead skin cells and restore the skin's PH after cleansing. My skin does not get irritated or dry - its clear and really well hydrated. I mostly had noninflamed acne, which scrubs are ok for. People with a lot of active inflamed acne are the ones who want to avoid scrubs. Gentle scrubs are actually one of the key treatments for noninflamed acne. Also, my skin is not sensitive at all.

This is the regimen that was designed for me by my esthetician. She runs a very successful acne clinic where she gets over 90% of her clients clear (using these very kinds of products and regimens). She does have different regimens for her inflamed acne clients though (no scrubs, and stronger antibacterials). She has a method that allows your skin to get adapted to stronger topicals, with minimal dryness and irritation.

I had an appointment yesterday, and it was my first time with Laura. Well, she said that I should have been clear already and it is taking too long. She gave me Exfol-A and 5% BP for the morning.

I had an appointment yesterday, and it was my first time with Laura. Well, she said that I should have been clear already and it is taking too long. She gave me Exfol-A and 5% BP for the morning.

Keep me posted on how the new products work out!

Things have been going good for the most part. I've managed to stay clear with the exception of a couple of small pimples/clogged pores around my mouth/chin/jawline area. This area (the area that is between the jawline and the corners of the mouth) seems to be the only place I am still getting clogged pores and occasional small pimples that have just a little bit of inflamation. It seems like the same couple of spots clog up over and over again - one spot comes back pretty much every month, even after getting extracted during my facial. They take forever to go away too - I think its because the pores are really small and tight in this area, so they just get blocked up really easily and the core is too tightly packed in the pore to come out easily. They will sometimes get inflamed, but usually they don't. I have been doing a little experiment on one of these spots - I am using the Exfol A there instead of the Derm A Gel a few nights a week. Exfol-A has flared my acne in the past, but I think my skin is so used to the Derm A Gel now that I may be able to use the Exfol-A in my more clog-prone areas. Its stronger than the Derm A Gel, so I am hoping it will kick out these more stubborn spots.

I do have one slightly inflamed spot on the other side of my chin that I am going to get extracted this afternoon (I have to pick up some products anyway, so I figured I would get this spot taken care of too. They heal SO much faster when they get extracted!). Otherwise, it will stick around for weeks if I just leave it alone.

I seem to have the folliculitis on my chest and back pretty well under control too. I started testing out a new mandelic scrub by Vivant that Face Reality gave me a sample of. I think its a new product - I haven't seen it for sale on any of the sites that sell Vivant products yet. It really seems to be helping a lot - my chest hasn't been this clear in a long time!