Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMBsDreamGrl

*Dana's Accutane Journal*

I can't believe I've finally started on Accutane! I've been waiting so long for this day! :dance:

A little background info...

I've had acne since I was 11, it would have it's stages, it would get better and then come back. Every time it came back it would get worse so I got on every antibiotic possible. When I was 16 I got on Minocyclin, it helped clear me for a year. I was so happy thinking I finally got rid of my acne. When I turned 18 my acne returned, I thought it would go away and that it was just hormones. Every week it would get worse and then the cysts came. The cysts got really bad, they would "link" together and spread all over my cheeks. I was devastated..from having perfect skin (finally) to this.. So I started reading up about Accutane and went to my derm and the first thing he said when he looked at me was that he wanted me to go on Accutane, he told me his daughter was on Accutane and it cleared her right up. He then told us the medicine would be VERY expensive..This was an issue because now that I was 19 I was no longer insured..So I just figured I'd take the natural route and just eat healthy stuff 24/7 while I saved up for Accutane. 5 months later I had enough money and went back to the derm. All my lab work came back great :D Finally after about 3 months of waiting because of stupid Ipledge issues I got my prescription yesterday :proud: I'm starting off at 60 mg (20 mg 3x a day).

Day 1 (yesterday)

I took my first pill exactly at noon, later on I got the itchies, so I'm thinking this is from Accutane. ^_^

I don't know if I'm imagining things but my skin was a little less oily.

Day 2

Today I have a headache, it's either from Accutane or my lack of sleep last night (4 hours).

No new pimples.

Again I think I'm imagining things but my skin feels smooth and it's less oily today.

My skin has also been itchy today (arms,legs and back)

Update..I've had a headache all day today and the inside of my nose is dry (could this be from the Accutane already?) :dontgetit:

Day 3

No headache today, my farhead was a little dry and my skin seemed a little less oily. That's about it. Oh yeah and I picked up some Vitamin E and Omega 3 vitamins today at GNC :cool:

Day 4

Well I woke up with no headache or dry skin, my skin seems a little less oily that's about it.

New w/head on my chin and a small red pimple forming on the side of my nose and right cheek. I normally don't break out this much at once so I'm thinking it's from the Accutane. I have the chills also...I live in FL people :lol: Anyone else getting/got chills?

Overall I feel great, I've been in such a great mood since I've started on this. My body feels great, it's like I'm not even taking anything, but it's still early and besides I don't want to jinx myself so I'll stop here. :shifty:

Hey dreamgrl,

just wanted to wish you good luck for your treatment...hmm I read about the high accutane prices. How much do you've to pay for your course? I'm a lucky guy cos I've insurance so I've to pay almost nothing for the accutane (5€ or something for 50 capsules)..btw where are you from? US?

Oh I had headaches in the beginning too, but after some days they vanished..So don't worry too much!

All the Best!

cj

Thanks Cj :D

I'm in the US. I don't have insurance so I'm paying $706 a month for my prescription alone..with lab work and Dr. visits it's insane :wall: but it's so worth it, I want this Accutane to take away my pimples so I can live a little and not obsess about what I look like when I go out :wacko:

Hi DMB,

Good luck with Accutane adventure! I am starting this Wednesday so maybe we can be Tane buddies! I am really nervous about it. I have a very similar background story with acne as you do...hopefully accutane will finally clear us! Keep us updated on everything!

KB :D

Hey KB :D I'd love to be Tane buddies! We can keep eachother updated on our Accutane adventure. Are you going to start an Accutane Journal? Good Luck also and send me a message once you start ;)

Day 5

Today I woke up with a headache, it still hasn't gone away but it's not too bad.

My skin is still oily but not as much, it's a little dryer than yesterday (mostly my farhead) No more new pimples.

I'm going to the store later on to pick up some Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser,Cetaphil Cleansing Bar, and the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream for when my skin gets really dry.

Hi!! So it's definitely decided then...we should be Tane buddies! If all goes well with my Dr. appt tomorrow I should be starting tomorrow!

Sorry to hear about the headaches :| Headaches are not fun!

What other products are you planning on using? I have heard great things about Emu oil for dry skin...also Cetaphil CREAM (not the lotion I guess?) I use cetaphil facewash right now and that works really well. I also plan to get Dr. Dan's cortibalm lip balm from my pharmacy...I have heard great things about it. What chap stick are you using?

How bad is your skin right now? It's kind of funny because while I was waiting for all of this dumb Ipledge stuff to go through the Dr. put me on Dynacin (an oral pill) and it has pretty much cleared me up. I also use Duac and Retin-A as well. My skin has been so bad for so long though that I feel like as soon as I get off all of this stuff my face will break out again (maybe worse!)...so I still want to go through with Accutane. My face has been really oily recently and I know accutane helps oil production as well.

I will definitely start a journal once I get started on tane. I'm excited to have a buddy through this journey because I have a feeling it's going to be a long one... :confused:

Hope you have a great day!! I will write back tomorrow and report on my Dr. appointment!

KB :D

Hey KB, I will definitely say a prayer for you that you start Accutane tomorrow. ;)

Although my skin is getting dry on my farhead and a little bit on my cheeks my lips haven't gotten dry yet. I have some Neutrogena Lip Treatment just in case though. My acne isn't all that bad right now (touch wood) It's been so much worse, I could've really used Accutane a few months ago though, sorta like you because as I was waiting for Accutane my skin cleared up, it's like my body was saying PLEASE NO ACCUTANE, I CAN BE GOOD! :lol: but I'm still getting occasional pimples and cysts but it's just not as frequent as before. My face is really oily also so I'm hoping Accutane will fix that for me too.

I'm excited for you, I can't wait for you to start so we can do this together, I'm only a little less than a week ahead. It's great to have someone to relate to. Hope everthing goes well, you'll be in my prayers :D

I am keeping you in my prayers for an easy time on Accutane!

How long are you on it for? How on earth are you paying for this out of your pocket? So expensive!

If you don't mind me asking tell me a little about you! No worries if you don't want to.

Please keep me posted on your journey and I will do the same!

Melanie :wub:

:lol: We just responded to eachother's journals at the same time. Thanks for keeping me in your prayers! :D Yep paying for this out of my pocket is insane. A little about me? Alright :) well I'm 20 years old, I currently live in FL. I just moved down here from PA about a year ago. My acne got really bad when I moved down here. I was planning on going to college for nutrition but I really don't want to go and have my college experience ruined by acne. I have an identical twin sister who only breaks out once in awhile with tiny pimples and has perfect skin. It's not fair, I guess we aren't all that identical :lol: Thanks for checking up on me, If you'd like to know anymore about me just ask :D Take care!

I feel your pain! Acne sucks! Very cool to have a twin. Is she in Florida with you?

We may have to move to Orlando if we accept a job offer that is pending. I love to visit but too hot there for me. I like cooler climates. So, guess we will see what happens.

At least you are taking care of acne early on in your life. I wish I had taken action sooner. My acne is not bad but just persistant little buggers that won't go away. I have tried a million different things and this was my last resort. I had the same issue as far as my skin clearing up the day I went to my derm to request Accutane. I swear it looked flawless. Funny that would happen since I haven't seen clear skin since my dd was born.

Do you plan on staying in Florida? Do you like it there? bye for now-

Hey, its funny because while I was waiting for accutane, my skin sorta cleared up too.. but i didnt hesistate to take it. I think in the long run we will be happy :D Plus its always nice to not have to wash your hair everyday. I live in FL too! And OMG the humidity is soooo bad :mad: Not a friend to acne lol. Well i wish you lots and lots of luck! :cool:

Girl, first of all, let me start out by saying I completely understand where you're coming from. I moved to FL from NY/TX 9 months ago and my acne got cystic down here. I also have a sister (though not twin) who NEVER breaks out and has flawless, sunkissed, dewy skin and she never even washes her face. My skin started getting better while I was waiting for Accutane but I decided to get on it anyway and get rid of the crap on my skin once and for all. I wish you much luck and success on your journey and I hope you know that we're all here to support you. Sorry if I sound motherly haha.

Take care :D

haha hey whats going on ? good luck on the course...i can remember the first days of non stop headaches and then the dry skin (which is still around i might add) make sure you lotion up so you dont get eczema ! thats kinda cool that you were reading my log that long ago now youre finally on it. i remember doing that too. this site is the best !

good luck ! :D

I feel your pain! Acne sucks! Very cool to have a twin. Is she in Florida with you?

We may have to move to Orlando if we accept a job offer that is pending. I love to visit but too hot there for me. I like cooler climates. So, guess we will see what happens.

At least you are taking care of acne early on in your life. I wish I had taken action sooner. My acne is not bad but just persistant little buggers that won't go away. I have tried a million different things and this was my last resort. I had the same issue as far as my skin clearing up the day I went to my derm to request Accutane. I swear it looked flawless. Funny that would happen since I haven't seen clear skin since my dd was born.

Do you plan on staying in Florida? Do you like it there? bye for now-

Yep my sister lives here in FL also. Orlando is a great place to move to. I'm not too crazy over FL, I like the cooler climates also. I lived up north (PA) my whole life and moving down here was a huge change. I'm thinking about moving back up there & staying with a friend while I go to college. Does DD stand for Darling Daughter? :lol: just a wild guess

Hey, its funny because while I was waiting for accutane, my skin sorta cleared up too.. but i didnt hesistate to take it. I think in the long run we will be happy :D Plus its always nice to not have to wash your hair everyday. I live in FL too! And OMG the humidity is soooo bad :mad: Not a friend to acne lol. Well i wish you lots and lots of luck! :cool:

Hey Jen, Thanks for checking out my blog. :lol I sware our skin knows what it's doing when it's time to go to the derm. My face looked normal when I went, I'm so glad my right shoulder broke out because after I showed my derm my shoulder he told me he definitely wanted me to take Accutane. *phew*

I've read a couple of times on here how people don't have to wash their hair everyday because it gets so dry, that's pretty cool, I normally don't like to shampoo my hair everyday anyways :) What shampoo should I use when it does get dry? Thanks for the luck, take care :D

Girl, first of all, let me start out by saying I completely understand where you're coming from. I moved to FL from NY/TX 9 months ago and my acne got cystic down here. I also have a sister (though not twin) who NEVER breaks out and has flawless, sunkissed, dewy skin and she never even washes her face. My skin started getting better while I was waiting for Accutane but I decided to get on it anyway and get rid of the crap on my skin once and for all. I wish you much luck and success on your journey and I hope you know that we're all here to support you. Sorry if I sound motherly haha.

Take care

Hey Girly, That's odd because when I moved I got cystic acne too, I sware it's the humidity :wall: Thanks for the support and nope you don't sound motherly at all :lol: Take Care

haha hey whats going on ? good luck on the course...i can remember the first days of non stop headaches and then the dry skin (which is still around i might add) make sure you lotion up so you dont get eczema ! thats kinda cool that you were reading my log that long ago now youre finally on it. i remember doing that too. this site is the best !

good luck ! :D

Hey, Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the tips, I appreciate it! :D

Day 6

No headache today. My Skin is a little dry and so is my hair, my hair feels like it doesn't even need to be washed. I'm breaking out on the right side of my face with 2 painful pimples but the little w/heads from the other day have gone away. My face is also red today.

Update: Oops, I forgot to mention that my palms are peeling, Has this happened to anyone else?

Ugh I just realized looking at my pill pack that one of these days I only took 2 pills instead of 3 .. I must've been in a rush or something, will this ruin everything? I'm so worried :(

Day 7

Slight headache when I woke up. I had the chills really bad last night which is really weird because it was only 76 in our house and like 80 outside. I was freezing even with my blankets around me :shifty: how weird. My skin feels the same, no new pimples, the painful pimples that came up yesterday are going down today which makes me happy :)

Hey Dreamgirl, just stopping by to check in! Thanks for coming by my log.

Sorry to hear about the headaches, hopefully they will go away as your body becomes more accustomed to the tane.

I have been having some chills to, now that you mention it, mostly during the day at work. I don't know what I'd do without a sweater!

Its a weird connection, but chinese medicine belives that acne is due to heat in the body. Maybe, in a chinese med point of view, we are losing that heat! Hmmm...interesting....

Hey Over_it_all, Thanks for stopping by my log ;)

I wonder why we're getting chills :think: maybe Chinese Medicine is right because I can't figure it out, it's not one of the Uncommon Side Effects :eh:

Update : My lips are beginning to burn, does this mean I'm going to start chapping? :errr:

Hi thanks for the post in my log. I am too looking for a lip balm. Also Do u take the omega with the accutane. And what is VIT e for ??

Hey DMBsDreamGrl,

I am the person with the mother that has mixed feelings over the Accutane, But today she decide to go ahead with it I start Jun 28, 2006. Maybe we can be tan buddies too? I am sorta nervous buit I kno this is wht i have to do. And yes my skin also cleared up be4 my day to go to the derm.