Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jrod16

Things to AVOID

From my own experience I would say to try to avoid dairy at all costs rite now I basically just have 1 cup of milk with cereal a day and thats all my dairy

this includes all cheese butter ice cream PROTEIN shakes I cant emphasize this enough

Also I would not lift weights! Trust me on this one and especially when u take Protein shakes this will really fuck up ur face! Right now I keep telling myself I shouldnt have lifted weights and taken the protein that crap gave me severe cysts all over

Instead play sports something to get u sweating, running, and help your heart and circulation....

Drink a lot of water and take Essential Fatty Acids

Also I would suggest eatting carrots and lots of fruits and veggies

Hopefully I helped someone out cuz rite now I wish I woulda known this before and not fucked up my face. Right now i got no acne at all but the marks are pretty bad and my doc said it will take a year to go away

I have no problem lifting weights and drinking "lactos free" protein shakes.

What I do have problems with is dairy, wheat and high GI.

Seems to be the same for me. Wheat / high GI / high refined sugar gives me the sore, painful pimples. Dairy seems to be a problem though I'm not positive but I cut it out anyway. Curren\tly I'm eating mostly fruits, vegetables, sprouted legumes and fresh juices, and I don't break out unless I do something like sweat and then not be anywhere to wash it off, smoke (weed) or get a shitty nights rest. But it's summer so I getta sleep all I want now!

I can't understand what the problem with lifting weights could be

People think that there's some correlation between lifting weights and higher levels of certain hormones

There isn't any, it's just a myth due to the face that lifting weights seems such a virile activity while actually playing basketball is was harder on the muscles and the bones

When you lift weights you microdamage your muscles and at night they're repaired with stronger muscle fiber and they get bigger. This is what happens also when you do chin-up or crunches, when you ride your bycicle, sprint for many yards or swim for 40 minutes

Weight lifting increase your circulation, makes you sweat and increase your heart beat

I agree with all the rest

Danny

People think that there's some correlation between lifting weights and higher levels of certain hormones

There isn't any, it's just a myth due to the face that lifting weights seems such a virile activity while actually playing basketball is was harder on the muscles and the bones

When you lift weights you microdamage your muscles and at night they're repaired with stronger muscle fiber and they get bigger. This is what happens also when you do chin-up or crunches, when you ride your bycicle, sprint for many yards or swim for 40 minutes

Weight lifting increase your circulation, makes you sweat and increase your heart beat

Danny

its because with weight lifting u release a lottt of hormones its like those ppl who take steroids their bodies already have high testosterone and I think weightlifting even makes it increase more

i lift weights and take protein shakes. It doesn't seem to affect my face in either a positive

or negative manner.

maybe it depends on which shake your using , how much you take . etc.

i guess it depends on the person(cliche i know).

i heard about the exercise leads to excess hormones theory you speak of, but it doesn't seem to be

true for me at least. it might be the protein and not the exercise that's causing the damage.

try working out without the shake and see if things get better, and possible use other sources of protein(the classic stacks of chicken breast or eggs)

try doing cardio on days when you're not lifting to balance things out.

Danny

its because with weight lifting u release a lottt of hormones its like those ppl who take steroids their bodies already have high testosterone and I think weightlifting even makes it increase more

No it doesn't really, ... weight lifting is like any other physical activity where muscles are stressed and then repaired there's nothing magical about it. After lifting weight there's an increase in growth hormone because those muscles need to be repaired but there's a release of growth hormone even after running, swimming, riding a bike, playing tennis, basketball and football and expecially jumping.

Other than that when oxygen is depleted thebody produces the hormone cortisol to make glucose and when it is replenishing its muscle glycogen stores it is producing insulin, but again this happens with all kind of physical activity where muscles are used. Steroid indeed increase hormonal synthesis but guess what it's nowadays known that testosterone is not that necessary for muscle growth. This is quite logical since young kids doesn't produce much testosterone and yet their muscles grow a lot if they lift weights ... ever seen the muscles of young preadolescient gymnasts?

I'm not denying that weight ligfting is having an adverse effect on you but it must be for a different reason since lifting stuff doesn't actually release more hormones related to acne, it is not different than any other physical activity and also the real culprit in acne is androgen hormones not testosterone, people who take steorid hormone suffers no acne so does people who take drugs for treating PCOS which decrease androgens levels in the body

Also, let's not mistake weight lifting with becoming grossly huge to win a Mr. Olympia contest

The mere act of lifting weights for a series of repetition for 30-40 minutes two or three times a week is a complete and healthy physical activity which is ideal for women, men, girls, boy and children alike and which doesn't make you an hormonal hulk with big muscles, it just build the right amount of muscle like any other sport and it's way safer than playing tennis or basketball both for the muscles and the growth plate bones

Danny

Anaerobic an aerobic excercise are completely different, and have completely different physiological effects.

Is there anyone on here that can't tolerate gluten but is able to eat sprouted breads like Ezekiel?

Speaking of weed.

I always thought the acne u get from smoking weed actually comes from the cookies and stuff you tend to eat while stoned. Boy was I proven wrong some weeks ago. I smoked constantly for 6 days while eating healthy and I was hit by such a breakout. I wont touch that again. :S

I wonder why that is..

Anaerobic an aerobic excercise are completely different, and have completely different physiological effects.

They just burn different fuels but any time the muscle grow the physiological effects are the same

Running burn more fatty acids whereas weight lifting burn mostly glycogen but for example swimming develops muscles as much as weight lifting and therefore althought the burning substrate is different the hormonal effect on muscle is exactly the same: cortisol - insulin - growth hormone

Anaerobic exercises doesn't release different hormones like androgen substances compared to swimming or riding a bike

Danny

Speaking of weed.

I always thought the acne u get from smoking weed actually comes from the cookies and stuff you tend to eat while stoned. Boy was I proven wrong some weeks ago. I smoked constantly for 6 days while eating healthy and I was hit by such a breakout. I wont touch that again. :S

I wonder why that is..

I think it may due to some hormonal cascade effect. Smoking weed increase beta-endorphin and serotonin secreation which affects insulin which affects androgens and sebum production is increased and your pores are clogged as zag inhibited. Just my thought

Danny

Yeah I think the weed I smoked past two days broke me out too... :( And I eat extremely healthy now but I still deviate from my diet probably once weekly.

Jrod i really don't think you know what you're talking about. Weight Lifting like any other stressing physical activity can cause some acne. Sweating alone can cause 15-20%. I lift weights right now and my acne is moderate. When i played basketball my acne was severe. Playing any sport that causes any type of physical strain and you are sweating, which in turn causes some acne.

Regardless of what you ate when you were younger, it won't cause severe cysts on your body or on your face. Yeah you can get pimples from certain diets but overall you won't get any type of severe acne. People who have severe types of acne are genetically predisposed to have it so it doesn't matter if you lift weights or not you're going to get it. Diet has very little to do with acne.

Jrod i really don't think you know what you're talking about. Weight Lifting like any other stressing physical activity can cause some acne. Sweating alone can cause 15-20%. I lift weights right now and my acne is moderate. When i played basketball my acne was severe. Playing any sport that causes any type of physical strain and you are sweating, which in turn causes acne.

Indeed, after sweating hard from running, or swimming, or lifting weight or any other sport I've partecipated in my skin was greasy as if the sweating were increasing the amount of skin oil

What has really helped me is drinking a lot during my exercise time

When I play or exercise I usually drink 2 liters of water within 70 to 120 minutes and my skin is not greasy after exercising. But that took some time before I saw results, like 2 or 3 weeks drinking that much during exercises everyday

Danny

They just burn different fuels but any time the muscle grow the physiological effects are the same

Running burn more fatty acids whereas weight lifting burn mostly glycogen but for example swimming develops muscles as much as weight lifting and therefore althought the burning substrate is different the hormonal effect on muscle is exactly the same: cortisol - insulin - growth hormone

Anaerobic exercises doesn't release different hormones like androgen substances compared to swimming or riding a bike

Danny

Swimming does not develop muscles the same as body building. The hormonal effects of anaerobic/aerobic are not the same. Both activites affect the same hormones but in very different ways. Again anaerobic and aerobic excercise have completely different physiological effects.

Sweating alone can cause 15-20%.

Excercise enduced sweat does not contribute toward acne, it consists of water, salt, and electolytes, the p.acnes bacteria cannot metabolise any of this.

However the the moist and warm environment causes a harbor for the bacteria to spread. Sweating can also irritate your face if you have sensitive skin like me. Irritation is followed by inflammation. If you already have clogged pores and bacteria on your face (which everyone does) it results in a bad combo.

Danny

Swimming does not develop muscles the same as body building. The hormonal effects of anaerobic/aerobic are not the same. Both activites affect the same hormones but in very different ways. Again anaerobic and aerobic excercise have completely different physiological effects.

You're making it a question of kind of exercise, while what really matters is whether there's muscular growth or not. If there's muscular growth then there are the same hormonal processes going on. And believe me swimming does develop the muscles as much as lifting weights. The only difference being that with weights yuo can always increase the weight so has to keep damaging the muscles even when other physical activities would not damage them anymore.

What happens with swimming is that the movements in the water damage the muscles and at night those damaged muscle grow thanks to growth hormone. This is exactly what happens with lifting weights

The physiological difference is just in the metabolism of fat, amino acids and fatty acids not hormones

I've already mentioned sprinting. For some cultural reason people think of weight lifting as very "hormonal" and spriting more restful while sprinting is harder and anaerobic as much as weight lifting. But for some reason no one link sprinting with testosterone or acne. Sprinting does even more than damaging the muscles it damaged the bones as well (shinbone splints) and therefore it leads to more growth hormone production

To tell the truth anaerobic exercise may increase the synsthesis of testosterone but only if the exercise is hight intensity and short. Weight lifting is not high intensity enough unless you're doing 2 session of 2 or 3 repetition at the maximum weight to reach muscle failure and you have two to three short sessions of 10-15 minutes. This would be not safe and would lead to joint repetitive strain injury.

The average way to lift weights (not competing for Mr Olympia) is lifting heavy enough to damage your muscle but not so heavy to reach muscle failure before 10-12 reps. A pyramid would even be less intensive since you lift your maximum only after 2 series of warming up. This kind of universal weight lifting is not intense enough to increase the amount of testosterone in the body just the amount of growth hormone which occurs anytime the muscle grows

You would be right if we were talking about high intensity destructive weight lifting but I don't think anyone here is competiting for a BB contest

Danny

Is there anyone on here that can't tolerate gluten but is able to eat sprouted breads like Ezekiel?

I could at first. Now I can't. My sensitivities seem to be getting progressively worse. I think grains are even causing me problems now. But I have klebsiella overgrowth ('bad' bacteria) and klebsiella eats starch, so I'm beginning to think I need to go the extreme lo carb route, like specific carbohydrate diet, or something similar, because after months of cleansing, I am no better off than when I started. In fact, I'm worse! in that simply avoiding sugar and wheat doesn't work for me anymore. I basically followed a candida diet, but most of those allow for alternative flours, and grains like quinoa, which fed the klebsiella.

BTW, guess what the antibodies to klebsiella produce... inflammation.

A stool test is a valuable diagnostic tool. Everyone with acne should get one.

Sorry... I know this post is way off-topic.

However the the moist and warm environment causes a harbor for the bacteria to spread. Sweating can also irritate your face if you have sensitive skin like me. Irritation is followed by inflammation. If you already have clogged pores and bacteria on your face (which everyone does) it results in a bad combo.

But sweat can be good. It contains a natural antibiotic that controls the bacteria living on your skin. It makes sense to have an antibiotic appearing in the sweat on your skin - because your skin is your first line of defence against the outside world.

On average, each square centimetre of your skin has hundreds of thousands of bacteria crawling across it. If these relatively harmless bacteria live on your skin, there's no opportunity for nastier bugs to move in and set up home.

Birgit Schittek and her team at Eberhard-Karls-University at Tubingen in Germany discovered that human sweat has an antibiotic that they called Dermcidin. It controls the nastier bugs - for example, it kills the bacteria E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus, and the yeast Candida albicans.

Dermcidin is an unusual protein/antibiotic. Other proteins that punch holes in bacteria are positively charged - but Dermcidin is negatively charged. Dermcidin, which has 47 amino acids in it, has a broad spectrum of activity against many different bacteria. It's made only in the sweat glands.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s897286.htm

Good post Jrod.

Everything you included on your list to avoid is what causes my breakouts. Although Im not sure about the weight lifting.

Dairy primarly causes me to breakout in severe cystic acne on my cheeks, jaw line and even neck.

I never believed in the acne/diet connection for myself because I considered what I was eating to be "healthy".

I hardly ever ate fast food, I didn't drink soda ate little sugar etc. It took me tooooooo long of a time to start keeping a food journal and find my triggers. I'm so mad at myself for the years of slothering my face with BP and wondering what I was doing wrong. But you live. you learn.

Great advice in your post.

Danny

No it doesn't really, ... weight lifting is like any other physical activity where muscles are stressed and then repaired there's nothing magical about it. After lifting weight there's an increase in growth hormone because those muscles need to be repaired but there's a release of growth hormone even after running, swimming, riding a bike, playing tennis, basketball and football and expecially jumping.

Other than that when oxygen is depleted thebody produces the hormone cortisol to make glucose and when it is replenishing its muscle glycogen stores it is producing insulin, but again this happens with all kind of physical activity where muscles are used. Steroid indeed increase hormonal synthesis but guess what it's nowadays known that testosterone is not that necessary for muscle growth. This is quite logical since young kids doesn't produce much testosterone and yet their muscles grow a lot if they lift weights ... ever seen the muscles of young preadolescient gymnasts?

I'm not denying that weight ligfting is having an adverse effect on you but it must be for a different reason since lifting stuff doesn't actually release more hormones related to acne, it is not different than any other physical activity and also the real culprit in acne is androgen hormones not testosterone, people who take steorid hormone suffers no acne so does people who take drugs for treating PCOS which decrease androgens levels in the body

Also, let's not mistake weight lifting with becoming grossly huge to win a Mr. Olympia contest

The mere act of lifting weights for a series of repetition for 30-40 minutes two or three times a week is a complete and healthy physical activity which is ideal for women, men, girls, boy and children alike and which doesn't make you an hormonal hulk with big muscles, it just build the right amount of muscle like any other sport and it's way safer than playing tennis or basketball both for the muscles and the growth plate bones

Danny

Androgen Hormones = Testosterone (specifically Free Testosterone), Androstenedione, DHEA (adrenal androgen) and DHT.

Acne is supposed to be usually linked to increases in DHT & DHEA for Women and Men it's Androstendione and one of the others. All I know is that for me, my high androgens were DHEA and Free Testosterone.

Jrod i really don't think you know what you're talking about. Weight Lifting like any other stressing physical activity can cause some acne. Sweating alone can cause 15-20%. I lift weights right now and my acne is moderate. When i played basketball my acne was severe. Playing any sport that causes any type of physical strain and you are sweating, which in turn causes some acne.

Regardless of what you ate when you were younger, it won't cause severe cysts on your body or on your face. Yeah you can get pimples from certain diets but overall you won't get any type of severe acne. People who have severe types of acne are genetically predisposed to have it so it doesn't matter if you lift weights or not you're going to get it. Diet has very little to do with acne.

Diet can result in severe acne, at least for me. I was pretty clear and thought I had "grown out of acne" but in an attempt to be healthier I started eating fish for the first time in my life. I started getting cystic acne for the first time ever and had the worst breakouts of my life all due to fish, fish oil, and flaxseed oil. I figured this out about 2 months ago, cut out these foods and supplements, and I am at about 99% clear. Diet can have no effect on acne and it can have all the effect (like in my case).

^ ^ ^ Yeah, it's weird. Maybe me and you have a problem with omega-3's because the same thing happens with me except not with fish. But flax oil and cod liver oil gave me HORRIBLE breakouts... Absolutely full facial type things that would take weeks to heal.

Then again omega-3 eggs don't really give me a problem, nor do shellfish..... confusing world.

You're making it a question of kind of exercise, while what really matters is whether there's muscular growth or not

The type of exercise determines the physiological effects of the activity including the AMMOUNT of muscular growth.

What happens with swimming is that the movements in the water damage the muscles and at night those damaged muscle grow thanks to growth hormone. This is exactly what happens with lifting weights. The physiological difference is just in the metabolism of fat, amino acids and fatty acids not hormones.

Among many other reasons in which anaerobic/aerobic exercise are vastly different is the huge difference in the AMMOUNT of GH released, swimming/running etc 1-200% increase BB 6-800%.

Sticking to a strictly hormonal debate there are many other reasons why an/aerobic differ: their RELATIVE effects on testosterone, DHT, Insulin, Insulin sensitivity, cortisol, IGF-1 to name a few.

To tell the truth anaerobic exercise may increase the synsthesis of testosterone but only if the exercise is hight intensity and short. Weight lifting is not high intensity enough unless you're doing 2 session of 2 or 3 repetition at the maximum weight to reach muscle failure and you have two to three short sessions of 10-15 minutes. This would be not safe and would lead to joint repetitive strain injury.

The average way to lift weights (not competing for Mr Olympia) is lifting heavy enough to damage your muscle but not so heavy to reach muscle failure before 10-12 reps. A pyramid would even be less intensive since you lift your maximum only after 2 series of warming up. This kind of universal weight lifting is not intense enough to increase the amount of testosterone in the body just the amount of growth hormone which occurs anytime the muscle grows

All anaerobic exercise (weight lifting etc) is high-intensity/short-duration. The high-intensity/short-duration does not refer to the how a person works out (to any great degree) but to the type of exercise they are doing, distance running = low-intensity/long-duration and bb = high-intensity/short-duration, you can change the intensity/duration of your bb session (to change the amount of testosterone released) but its still short and intense even if you do 10-15 reps... because you are NOT comparing the duration to say 3-5 reps (as you have done) but to say 10,000 reps (each step in a running session).

How can anyone say they are the same just look at long distance runner, and look at a bodybuilder ffs!!!

You're making it a question of kind of exercise, while what really matters is whether there's muscular growth or not

The type of exercise determines the physiological effects of the activity including the AMMOUNT of muscular growth.

What happens with swimming is that the movements in the water damage the muscles and at night those damaged muscle grow thanks to growth hormone. This is exactly what happens with lifting weights. The physiological difference is just in the metabolism of fat, amino acids and fatty acids not hormones.

Among many other reasons in which anaerobic/aerobic exercise are vastly different is the huge difference in the AMMOUNT of GH released, swimming/running etc 1-200% increase BB 6-800%.

Sticking to a strictly hormonal debate there are many other reasons why an/aerobic differ: their RELATIVE effects on testosterone, DHT, Insulin, Insulin sensitivity, cortisol, IGF-1 to name a few.

All anaerobic exercise (weight lifting etc) is high-intensity/short-duration. The high-intensity/short-duration does not refer to the how a person works out (to any great degree) but to the type of exercise they are doing, distance running = low-intensity/long-duration and bb = high-intensity/short-duration, you can change the intensity/duration of your bb session (to change the amount of testosterone released) but its still short and intense even if you do 10-15 reps... because you are NOT comparing the duration to say 3-5 reps (as you have done) but to say 10,000 reps (each step in a running session).

How can anyone say they are the same just look at long distance runner, and look at a bodybuilder ffs!!!

Bodybuilding has very little to do with weight lifting. Bodybuiling has more to do with huge amount of calories, micromanaging of one's diet and drugs. Normal weight lifting alone who can do everyone will never build alone the amount of muscle mass you see in a competitive body builder

If you just swim normally and you just lift weights normally just for general health and conditioning you're not to put on more mass with the weight lifting. I've been involved with both sports and that's what I've always seen. The intensity if very important because if you choose an high number of repetition for a not to heavy amount of weight you're not going to produce as much growth hormone as if you were lifting heavy for a short number of set keeping your workout less than 40 minutes

Long distance runnning besides doesn't build much muscle, actually it catabolizes the muscle you've put on with another sport (it's a reason why they look so skinny) on the other hand swimming does build muscles even more than moderate weight lifting. Weight lifting by itself buil muscles in an harmonious way making your body lean but not bulky, the bulkyniss of bodybuilder has nothing to do with weight lifting

The amount of growth hormone released depends on muscle damage and repairing. That's why for example sprinting releases more growth hormone than weight lifting because the damage is bigger. Swimming too causes muscles damage and repair. Long distance runnning doesn't and it's not uncommon for long distance runners to lose much of their muscle mass.

Insulin sensitivity is increased in both kind of physical activity and as a matter of face the postworkout meal suggest to weight lifters is the same suggested to swimmming teams: simple high GI carbs and protein without fats and so the effect on IGF-1 on both kinds of exercise are basically the same

Again I'm with the others who said that weight lifting doesn't affect their acne more than jogging, jumping rope, playing basketball ... in face weight lifting (warm up + inverse pyramid and not max load for few repetition) is the kind of esercisex that the least affect my hormonal acne. I can produce way much more growth hormone jumping, sprinting or swimming

Danny