Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReiseReise

Stopped Shaving

I always get terrible outbreaks after I shave, maybe because of skin irritation. I havent had a shave for 5 days and my skin hasent broken out as much ... but I dont want to grow a full on beard :evil: anyone else get these outbreaks after shaving? This is very random but I remember reading an interview with Christoph Dugarry (French footballer) and he always had a lot of stubble and someone asked him why and he said because of acne, it covers it and stops him from break out.

I always get terrible outbreaks after I shave, maybe because of skin irritation. I havent had a shave for 5 days and my skin hasent broken out as much ... but I dont want to grow a full on beard :evil: anyone else get these outbreaks after shaving? This is very random but I remember reading an interview with Christoph Dugarry (French footballer) and he always had a lot of stubble and someone asked him why and he said because of acne, it covers it and stops him from break out.

Yes maybe a little a long time ago. I wet shave now. And there is a certain technique to it too so as to ensure no skin irritation is caused.

Growing a beard or not shaving wont stop acne. Think of all the oil and dirt that sits on the hair on your face that will eventually block up your pores.

When i shave i do the following:

Use a sensitive skin shaving foam (i have a gillette one with aloe v)

Use Sensor Excel razorblade (they are the best and smoothest)

First warm up the face and blade with warm water, not too much on the face but plenty on the blade.

Next apply foam to face from neck up to mouth in that direction so it gets the facial area sitting up rather than against the face. well you know what i mean...

Now with the wet/ warm razor, shave firm but gentle strokes down the face, rinsing in hot water after every shave stroke (for under the neck/chin go the opposite direction

Finally rinse with warm water, then with cold

** (Make sure the water you use on the face is not too hot, on the blade is fine)

I do not use aftershave at all, it can also irritate the skin, probably more so than a harsh shave.

Thats it

Shaving fucks my skin up. Check my topic in the OTC Medication forum on Energizing Acne Scrub. I've got a Fusion blade which is ok with irritation but I noticed less irritation with dry shaving and cold water on the razor??? strange but successful.

I had this problem in the past, where if I shave my chin area, I break out.A suggestion would be shave with an electric shaver, one that doesnt irritate your skin.After you shave, splash cold water on the area and then rinse off with luke warm water.

If you dont shave, the hair on your beard or mustache produces oil, which can make your acne worse.Same thing with hair, if you dont cut it or wash it often, it can become really greasy and oily.

It's a lose lose situation for me...

I find when I shave I break out bad, but if I let it grow in I break out bad underneath the hair. So, i'm not sure what to do, I mean I am suffering a VERY bad breakout now, worse it's been in a long time and I am leaving for a trip in 3 days and I want to clear this mess up as soon as possible, I mainly break out around my chin/mouth area, so my plan for the next couple days is to shave the sides of my face/cheek area (I never get a pimple there) while I let the chin/mustache area grow in for a few days, I want to give it time to heal the active pimples instead of ripping them open every day. Don't know how much this is going to help, or if the excess dirt from me not shaving will be more of a problem, but we will see.

I have the same issues. The best my skin has ever been was when I would use an electric razor's trimmer (the little clipper that flips up from the shaver body) to keep my facial hair short. The problem I have now is that I work in a professional setting and shaving is an "unwritten" rule to follow. "AndD" provides a good procedure to follow.

i can suggest a couple things.. first click here to make sure you are shaving correctly, a poor technique can lead to all kinds of ingrown hairs/irritation etc.

secondly, at the risk of sounding like some kind of born again zinc evangelist.. try a zinc supplement, my acne is all but cured since i started taking zinc (and thats all i changed), next time your at the supermarket read the back of a zinc supplement bottle and youll notice a lot of talk about skin problems and acne etc. give it a go, guys especially need zinc and many people are deficient. im currently taking a daily dose of 25mg zinc with the cofactors for absorbtion ie magnesium, manganese, vit a, vit c, vit b6 and my skin has never been better! seriously, its been about two months and im totally clear, and i now love shaving!

Best bets are using a Bump Fighter Disposable Razor, Edge Ultra Sensitive Shaving Gel (no dye or fragrance), and as another poster noted cold water! Those of us with heavy beards and oily skin (a very nasty combination) have a tough time with ingrown hairs & shaving bumps. After years of fighting this, I found the products I mentioned most effective. Always shave very carefully with the grain (not much pressure), short strokes, rinse often, and don't use your disposable more than three times.

yes shaving is problem for me for two reasons

first) i dont have clear skin round my chin area, its covered in red bits (not quite spots) when i shave they start bleeding and my chin area is all red and sore looking.

second)My chin area is the most stubborn part of my face to clear up! it seems to break out most mornings when i awake.

my forehead has come along quite well and the right side of my face is pleasing me to.