Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JazzyPhae

Jazzy is on Tazz....but I'M NOT DOING GOOD:(

Okay so i am 18, and I'm in my second year of college. All through high school I had lot's of whiteheads (clogged pores all over my cheeks), lot's of scars from picking at zits etc, but neither were very noticable under makeup. I didn't have allot of big red zits or anything, just a few every other month...nothing bad.

Since being in college, my acne has signifficantly worsened. I have the same whitehead problem all over my cheeks, and a few on my temples and forhead now. I now get very big red zits mostly on my jawline, and my cheeks as well, and to top it off I still have the red marks all over my face.

In high school my face would respond to the proactiv regimen like magic, but since being in college after three months of not much improvment I made an appointment with my family doctor, to get a refferal to see a derm.

The Doctor put me on 50 MG of Minocycline, and 2.5% benzl peroxide, and I should be seing a dermatoligist in 2-3 weeks

I think that my acne has worsened since being in college because of the amounts of stress that I go through during exam weeks, and probably my diet now that I'm away from home. I have always worked at a coffee shop ever since the ninth grade, and my caffeine consumption could also be causing outbreaks. Also the amount of makeup I wear, even though it's non comedogenic, I use alot because I am very self conscious of these acne scars from middle/high school.

So heres more or less my regimen as of right now.....OPEN to suggestions!!!

Morning:

-Shower, then wash my face for 60 seconds with Nuetrogena Cream cleanser

-very light benzoyl peroxide

-Proactiv oil free moisturizer

-makeup

Evening:

-Wash face with cream cleanser twice, once to get most of my makeup off, and a second time to actually cleanse

-Deep cleaning 2.0% sacylic acid astringent

-benzoyl peroxide

-Nuetrogena "Healthy Skin spf15 alpha hydroxy lotion"

-50MG minocylcine

every few days:

15 minutes steam facial followed by Biore shine control clay mask

St Ives apricot scrub in the shower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So let me know if you have done something similar and you know a better way, or whatever!. Here is a picture of me a few days ago after three months of proactiv, and no signs of change, and then theres a picture of me with makeup on.

before proactiv

1stday.jpg

damaged073.jpg

after proactiv

after1week.jpg

with makeup( lol it's a halloween pic)

33.jpg

okay so i think i'll update weekly...let ya know how i'm doing. My ultimate goal is to clear up my acne, mainly these whiteheads that i've had forever, so i can have smoooth skin....and then i want to ask the derm about chemical peels to get rif of the scar damage

Hi, welcome to the board and good luck with your regimen :) I noticed the area that is broken out in your pics is the part where your bangs fall on your face (at least thats what it looks like on your pic with make up on). Have you tried wearing your hair out of your face? Hairproducts and the natural oils on your hair can promote breakouts.

try not to use many chemicals on your skin it mostly stop the skins natural healing process

im only using tea tree oil soap and nothing else -working wonders

drink 2/3 litres of natural mineral water

and try and get as many fruit and vegetables in your diet

p.s ure hot :)

Welcome aboard! I hope this regimen works well for you.

I wanted to suggest two things when you have some extra dough:

I have used the Proactive Oil-free Moisturizer and hated it! I never thought it was doing anything for my skin. Maybe you have the same thoughts. I searched and stumbled upon Dramatically Different Gel by Clinique, and it is wonderful! It does wonders for flakey dry skin victim by BP. You can also try Superdefense by Clinique if you want SPF 25. I know Clinique can be expensive, but a little lotion goes a long way. The bottles have lasted me a long time.

I also noticed that you mentioned wearing "alot" of makeup to hide scars etc.. You should look up BareMinerals make-up online or minerals make-up in general. I've been using BareMinerals to hide scars and blemishes for two months now, and I would never go back to ordinary make-up again. It goes on smoothly, looks natural, and never has that "cakey" look or feel to it. Granted my skin doesn't look flawless, but it is a huge improvment. I don't have to hide the sides of my face with my bangs everyday with this make-up. I know it sounds cheesy, but it has changed my self-esteem for the better. The coolest part is that it naturally has SPF 15. Again, it is expensive, but all you need is a small amount of bareMinerals so it lasts a good while. You can also feel assured that it is not contributing to your acne problem.

Keep us posted Jazzy!! :D

So im on my way to walmart right now to pick up my vitamin b5, pshh i will try anything right now.... My face actually hasn't gotten much better since i've been taking the minocyclin but i didnt expect any improvment yet.

I actually already am addicted to soy beans, and carrots...and am a big veggie eater.

The thing is i drink allot of milk every day (lot's of capaccino and latte testing throughout the day) and i heard somewhere that it can cause breakouts? Maybe only for ppl who are allergic, but let me know if you know anything about it

The picture was actually just a one day kind of hairstyle, my hair is somewhat in my face, but not AS much as it is shown in the pic. I actually talked to a friend and she thinks that the headset at work that i use is also probably a contributing factor to the area that likes to break out.

i have tried bare minerals, and i hated it.....i know it works wonders for other people, but i just can't deal with it. I don't like it.

and....i will deffinitly have to check out the clinique lotion. because no matter how much i try to moisturize, i come home and my problem areas are peeling....ahh and that's not cute:(

thanks everyone, for the sweet words

take omega 3 also perhaps?

Also look at rice/soy/oat milkas alternatives

milk is considered a bad food as it is pumped full of growth hormones which can interfere with the bodies own

I find rice milk the nicest to drink but try all

I have read that dairy is a problem due to hormones as rdm mentioned, but also because of high levels of iodine. High Iodine foods and high androgen foods are supposed to be no-nos for those with acne prone skin.

High iodine foods:

-anything iodized salt (chips, salty snacks, etc.)

-some seafood (anything with seaweed/kelp, sushi, squid, crab, sole, clams, shark, sea bass)

-liver (gosh, that's too bad, huh?)

-dairy products

-asparagus

-broccoli

-wheat germ

-most poultry and meats

High androgen foods: includes peanut products, wheat germ, shellfish, meats and dairy products

I wouldn't go crazy trying to avoid all of those (I know I can't cut all that out of my diet!). But pay attention to the things you eat a lot of. For me, I eat a lot of fish and sushi, so I am going to cut that down to 1-2 times a week. I also eat a lot of peanut butter, which I now have stopped doing. I'm not going to worry about the veggies, as I think the good outweighs the bad with these. Since dairy makes both bad lists, I've replaced most of my dairy with soy products, but I will have some dairy on occasion. I don't eat meat other than fish, so I don't have to worry about the meat products. I also don't salt my food, and have stopped eating salty snacks. So, its not too hard to get some of the bad foods out of your diet, without being so strict that you can't eat anything!!

okay so i went to the store and i couldnt find b5. i saw b6 and bcomplex?

is b5 something i cant buy at like walmart, or do i need to go to a vitamin store?

and thanks for the info!!!

i eat sushi like 4-5 times a week, and down probably as much milk as i do water each day...so that could be a biggg reason why i have had such a dramatic change in skin!!!

Ok so STARTING RIGHT NOW!!! i am going to cut out most of the caffeine from my diet. For me that is a big huge thing to do because i WORK in a coffee shop, and it's hard to not take an espresso shot now and then. Also im switching from dairy to soy, or at least organic milk. And try to cut down my sushi intake!

Let's see if this might help with my acne

i'll do some pics to show everyone if i have had any change in a week or so....want to give my face a reasonable amount of time to start getting better

The diet changes sound like good ones. I think the key (for me at least) is not to go too nuts with it - if it is too drastic from what you are used to its hard to stick to it. The hormone free milk would probably be an improvement, but I think it still may contain high levels of iodine (amazingly, this can come from the iodized salt that the cows lick from salt licks. Who knew???)

Yeah, the sushi was a big one for me too. Kelp has higher levels of iodine than any other high idodine foods (1020 parts per million!!, liver is the second highest at 325 ppm).

I couldn't find B5 in the stores either (even the vitamin stores I went to). If you are not planning on mega-dosing and just want a suppliment, look at the B-complex vitamins- they often have B-5 in them. If you just want b-5 alone, you may have to order it off the internet. I've added B-complex, Vitamin A, and Zinc suppliments to my diet.

Good luck with your regimen!!

willow have the supplements you take been helping at all?

First day of no caffiene no milk no sushi....

i just switched to decaf espresso, which has a little of caffeine...and soy milk. Shouldnt be an outrageous difference....

Ok...this morning i had 4 zits that have not gone away, and this morning they looked like they were just about ready to pop on their own!! so i just went ahead and did it...i know picking and squizing is really shunned apon, but i just dont think they would have healed if i hadn't. I went to work, and came back and my face doesn't look bad at all....maybe another week for it to go down completely:)

Hi Jazzy -

I'm not sure if they are helping or not - I haven't been taking them too long. I've also made some major changes to my skin care regimen, so its hard to tell what is having an effect and what isn't! I figure as long as I don't go overboard with suppliments, they can't hurt!

it will take atleast 2 weeks to see some major improvements

just gotta hang in there

it will take atleast 2 weeks to see some major improvements

just gotta hang in there

You guys it's only been a couple days on the BP and minocylin...and the changes in my diet, and the major zits around my cheeks are starting to chilll out! enough to where they are hardly visible under makeup, and really i think in another 2 weeks or so i should be clear...

my next thing i have to tackle are these little bumps all on my cheeks. they are clogged pores i know, but how do i get rid of them...

and last....these horrible scars:(

Would a place like GNC have B5?... or is it all protein stuff?

The one I went to had every b-vitamin besides b-5 (which is also called pantothenic acid). The woman at the GNC clearly didn't know what she was talking about because she looked for it, then told me she thought B-5 was the same as niacin. Not quite....

I haven't seen B-5 (that's not in a B-complex) suppliments in any stores that I have checked. I looked at drug stores, GNC, and the Kaiser pharmacy. No luck at any of those. I think most of the people who are supplimenting with B-5 have ordered online.

The GNC by my house sells B5, under it's scientific name of pantothenic acid. The only problem is it only sells it in 500mg capsules. If you go online there are a few websites that sell B5 in 1000mg (1 gram) capsules. I've been taking 4 1000mg capsules spread out evenly through the day, but for the energy boost it gives you not skin problems. I've noticed a huge increase in energy and a little less oily skin.

If you have acne problems I've heard you have to take 10-15 grams a day. That's alot of pill-popping.

Hi Jazzy, if this is your first time taking Mino, then I assure you it will work! Just be careful of staying on it for more than 3months because your acne will build tolerance and stop working.

I am currently on B5, and it takes time but I hope it works. Its been an rollercoaster but the acne doesnt get worse on this pill. Good luck with your treatment.

Ps. Your really cute. Are you half asian and half caucasian?

I find rice milk the nicest to drink but try all

i <3 almond milk

-anything iodized salt (chips, salty snacks, etc.)

-some seafood (anything with seaweed/kelp, sushi, squid, crab, sole, clams, shark, sea bass)

-liver (gosh, that's too bad, huh?)

-dairy products

-asparagus

-broccoli

-wheat germ

-most poultry and meats

High androgen foods: includes peanut products, wheat germ, shellfish, meats and dairy products

interesting, i tend to eat a lot of this stuff... thanks for posting this info

jazzy since you dont use bareminerals, what kind of make up do you use?

Okay guyssss.....So I FINALLY made it to the derm. The derm i wanted to go to was booked like 2 months in advance:(

He said he will give me two options.

1. Oral antobiotic and Tazzorac

or

2. Accutane

He said that if tazzorac and the oral antibiotic does not work he will put me on accutane, but it was up to me if i even wanted to try the tazz..or if i wanted to go straight to the tane. I have heard allot of crazy things about accutane, so i opted for the tazzorac, and i always seem to do well with antibiotics.

oh and btw. he said what my family doctor prescribed (the 50mg of minocycline a day) was crap, that i should have been taking at least 150 to see any results.....

he put me on solodyn 45mg , which is less than i was taking before but it's a slow release med that works throught the day. They base it off how much you weigh:) probably the only time i wanted to lie and say i weighed MORE than i actually did....

anddd i'm on Tazzorac cream .1% . I put it on at night (more than is recomended) but i don't see any irritation after two weeks, so i think i'm okay. I'm going to start spot treating the initial break out with bp at night, and under my makeup in the morning.

I'm expecting a horrific IB. i have repressed clogged pored ALL over my cheeks...probably since i was in middle school. They just sit there. hanging out...waiting. I've never really considered my acne BAD, because it never really matured into a full fledge zit....i always tamed it with BP and whatever facewash i was using. I'm a sophmore in college now, My skin sucks, and i think all hell is about to break loose.

I'll post pics of what my skin looks like in a sec....batteries are charging

oh and i threw out all facewashes toners etc, and switched to Nuetrogena foaming cleanser (makeup remover and cleanser in one) Derm's orders....

OKAY PICTURES!

IPB Image

IPB Image

So you can see the havoc the IB is already causing....it's cool. i know it will get worse.

::Dealing with it::

My skin is starting to get SO itchy. Especially my nose, and i can't even touch it...if i even try to scratch it, it causes my skin to flake allot. grosss. Plus when i wash my face i can feel all the little clogged pores in my skin to come closer to the surface, the bumps have more definition now. i GUESS im happy because i know this stuff is working....the more my skin flakes the more likely these scars will fade, and my skin will heel.

does anyone have some suggestions on moisturizer. My skin is naturally dry so i need a pretty good one. I'm using a nutragena one right now with spf15...it has an AHA in it though, i think that is bad for my skin right now...or am i wrong?

help out please

Hey Jazzyphae....well good luck on ur regime.

umm on the moisturisor. i love my aloe vera gel. I use fruit of the earth aloe vera gel 100% as my moisturisor. in the morning i use this and night i use this also, but with lavender oil.

the aloe vera should help you with your dryness alot. or you can try essential oils, like lavender oil, emu oil (works great for dryness alot!!) and jojoba oil. also these oils, help mimic the humans sebum, therefore, making our skin not to produce alot of oil..

you can check out fruit of the earth on:

www.fote.com... good luck :angel: