Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyler92

How would I fare with Accutane?

Hey all,

Take a look at the photos in my gallery, Oily skin with very mild acne, basically:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...user&user=25495

So I've been talking with people and reading lots of Accutane posts for like a couple of days now. From what I read, I would be able to go on a low dosage Accutane, and my acne would go away rather quickly to nothing, since it was not severe, but mild to begin with.

Is this true? Like I said, what I gathered from everything I've read here, and I'd really like to get started on Tane quickly if I know it will well for me.

thanks.

yeah i think it would work really well for you. your case is mild like mine was infact maybe even a little milder so accutance should clear you up really nicely. the only thing to think about is, with all the side affects accutane has (dry skin, chapped lips, nose bleeds, etc) is it really worth it for someome with the little acne that you have to go through with it? just something to think about.

i think your derm would give it to you though if you were willing to go through the side affects (and keep in mind that they are not the same for everyone, some experience mild side effects while some experience severe) good luck!

T92:

Keep in mind that lower doseage has higher rate of failure. Your derm should be

able to explain what he/she thinks would do the trick. Maybe you would

only need one course of a lower dose.

Best of luck

Maj

"If there is a solution to a problem then there is no sense in worrying,

if there is no solution to a problem then there is no sense in worrying."

Buddha

i can't even SEE acne. all see is some glistenig skin which can be resolved with the right topical. I know you want accutane but i think you'l be hardpressed to find a doctor who'll perscribe seeing as how i can barely detect a single visible lesion in the pics you've shown!

hope it works out for you tho

Hey all,

Take a look at the photos in my gallery, Oily skin with very mild acne, basically:

So I've been talking with people and reading lots of Accutane posts for like a couple of days now. From what I read, I would be able to go on a low dosage Accutane, and my acne would go away rather quickly to nothing, since it was not severe, but mild to begin with.

Is this true? Like I said, what I gathered from everything I've read here, and I'd really like to get started on Tane quickly if I know it will well for me.

thanks.

oh my god, you dont have any acne hardly. No point in you taking tane + what the other person said about higher rate of failure/ no effect. Why are there so many people with hardly any acne on here who think tane is there only answer......its like your rubbing it in the face of people with real acne problems. Now go use a topical..sheeesshhh

oh my god, you dont have any acne hardly. No point in you taking tane + what the other person said about higher rate of failure/ no effect. Why are there so many people with hardly any acne on here who think tane is there only answer......its like your rubbing it in the face of people with real acne problems. Now go use a topical..sheeesshhh

Because people are tired of wasting money on topical creams that don't work worth crap. Acne is not a life threatening disease. If you have nodular/cystic acne, there is a 0% chance that the acne can kill you. The killer with acne is its psychological effects on a person. A person with mild or moderate acne might suffer worse psychologically than someone with severe acne. It just depends on the person. I have persistant mild acne. I'm now 20 years old and ready to start my life. It has crippled me severely over the last 6 years. Hopefully people will soon realize that Accutane should be prescribed to those that know the side effects and are willing to accept them. For me, the benefits are well worth the risks.

I'm not sure about this. If it were me then I would a 5 month course and get 125mg/kg. You would not want to take too little and have the acne come back. 125mg/kg should kick the acne out for good, or at least buy time until nature clears you.

k, I take Accutane and I thank god every day for it!

HOWEVER

The side effects are a realllllll killer. My face hurts alot and I have first degree burnwounds. Seeing your pictures, it ain't worth the shit.

Especially cause you wanna go on a low dose and my derm said: the higher the daily dose, the less chance of your acne comming back!

Hey all,

thanks.

not for you, your skin isnt severe enough.

Your skin is fine.

Stop complaining.

You have NORMAL skin. If your looking for perfect skin good luck... your going to have a hard life.

Your skin is fine.

Stop complaining.

You have NORMAL skin. If your looking for perfect skin good luck... your going to have a hard life.

:wall: Dont listen to these guys. It's your skin. All that matters is what you want. If you want Accutane, you can get it. You do not have to listen to people tell you it's "not for you" because "your skin is normal". Acne affects people in different ways. My acne is like yours. I have blackheads and whiteheads with an occasional pimple. I'm going against what every person on this board says. I'm going against what dermatologist will tell me. I'm going to take a 5 month course of accutane. Why? Because I can not live life with even mild acne. Accutane might not work for you or it might not make it go away completly. But it could. For me, at least if it doesn't work at least I will have given it a try. It can't work if you don't try it. I probably wont do an accutane log because of all the hate people that will curse at me for taking Accutane for mild acne. :wall:

Ok, defniitely some varied opinions on my face and all. Yeah my acne is mild, and you can't see it in the picture very much. I do have oily skin alot and still have acne - enough to warrant a long course of Accutane? Doubtful, but I would like to do something about this, and topicals ain't cuttin it.

Your skin is fine.

Stop complaining.

:wall: Dont listen to these guys. It's your skin. All that matters is what you want. If you want Accutane, you can get it. You do not have to listen to people tell you it's "not for you" because "your skin is normal". Acne affects people in different ways. My acne is like yours. I have blackheads and whiteheads with an occasional pimple. I'm going against what every person on this board says. I'm going against what dermatologist will tell me. I'm going to take a 5 month course of accutane. Why? Because I can not live life with even mild acne. Accutane might not work for you or it might not make it go away completly. But it could. For me, at least if it doesn't work at least I will have given it a try. It can't work if you don't try it. I probably wont do an accutane log because of all the hate people that will curse at me for taking Accutane for mild acne. :wall:

Thats right dont listen to people who have gone through tane......

You havent taken tane and your acne is not severe, and believe me having severe acne is far worse than having mild/mod acne ffs. Get a grip! I would swap with any mild/mod person in a jiffy and then I would be glad not to have to go through tane, granted it was worth it for me but I have scars and my face is not great but the acne is almost gone. If you have mild acne then you will probably get worse acne and scar more and then you will regret and be back here moaning.

some people......

Ok, defniitely some varied opinions on my face and all. Yeah my acne is mild, and you can't see it in the picture very much. I do have oily skin alot and still have acne - enough to warrant a long course of Accutane? Doubtful, but I would like to do something about this, and topicals ain't cuttin it.

well try antibiotics then, try doxy or tetracycline. Maybe a topical retiniod at most but that wil probably also make your skin worse for a while. If you go on tane you will look worse than you do now just because of the scarring and blotchiness...

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

My acne was moderate with scaring when I first started treating it. By the time I got to accutane it was pretty much mild but still breaking out. I did't want any more scars and I have a fear that it'll come back the way it was or even worse. I'm willing to risk more scarring to avoid dealing with it indefinetely in the future. So far I don't have any and I've been trying to be careful with my fragile accutane skin. I don't have a huge problem with people using accutane to treat mild acne. I don't really think it's something to start off with.

What exactly have you used to control it?

Your acne is, judging from the pictures, so mild that it looks like a once-daily CSR application could control it. My acne was much worse (moderate mostly, severe every once in a while) and twice daily CSR is keeping me clear. I would look into it. From my experience, though, the CSR wouldn't help a ton with oiliness.

You guys are saying not to listen to me?

Dont use anti-biotics either as a pill form or cream. The acne bacteria will eventually will become immune to it and than your back to where you started.

hey

my acne is pretty much the same as yours...i just started on accutane, and after just a week and a bit my skin's clearing up and i'm less oily. talk to your derm - mine told me i had the option of antibiotics, but i'd have to switch every few months when my body got used to it, and as soon as i came off it, the acne would come back. if it's bugging you, do to a derm and find out your options! just because you don't have really bad acne doesn't mean tane won't work for you.

hey

my acne is pretty much the same as yours...i just started on accutane, and after just a week and a bit my skin's clearing up and i'm less oily. talk to your derm - mine told me i had the option of antibiotics, but i'd have to switch every few months when my body got used to it, and as soon as i came off it, the acne would come back. if it's bugging you, do to a derm and find out your options! just because you don't have really bad acne doesn't mean tane won't work for you.

a week on tane is not long enough to judge whether its having a positive effect im afraid

What exactly have you used to control it?

I have used Doxycycline, Retin-A, Benzaclin, GA, SA and various other topicals.

Topicals haven't done anything for any person on this board really. My skin is pretty decent with a light toner, cleansing and Jessfoliation right now. I'm looking to stop it all though. If my acne and oiliness would be gone for good, then Accutane would be worth it to me. Obviously, I would find a recommended derm who would prescribe it and be honest about what it can do.

According to most of you, since my acne is so mild, then a brief, low-dose course would be sufficient.

Keep the feedback comin' :cool:

If you have mild acne then you will probably get worse acne and scar more
Please post a link that proves this claim.

If you go on tane you will look worse than you do now just because of the scarring and blotchiness...
BREAKING NEWS: RESEARCH CONDUCTED BY ACNE.ORG MEMBER ANDD PROVES ACCUTANE CAUSES SCARRING AND BLOTCHINESS TO PERSONS WITH MILD ACNE. HIS RESEARCH FURTHER FINDS THAT MILD ACNE PATIENTS WILL LOOK WORSE AFTER A COURSE OF ACCUTANE. BEWARE! :rolleyes:

If you have mild acne then you will probably get worse acne and scar more
Please post a link that proves this claim.

If you go on tane you will look worse than you do now just because of the scarring and blotchiness...
BREAKING NEWS: RESEARCH CONDUCTED BY ACNE.ORG MEMBER ANDD PROVES ACCUTANE CAUSES SCARRING AND BLOTCHINESS TO PERSONS WITH MILD ACNE. HIS RESEARCH FURTHER FINDS THAT MILD ACNE PATIENTS WILL LOOK WORSE AFTER A COURSE OF ACCUTANE. BEWARE! :rolleyes:

shut up you idiot, it causes scarring and blotchiness to a high percentage of all who use it. If you only have mild acne and are freaking out about it you will freak out even more after a few months on tane. so stfu u moron

stupid clueless noob

shut up you idiot, it causes scarring and blotchiness to a high percentage of all who use it. If you only have mild acne and are freaking out about it you will freak out even more after a few months on tane. so stfu u moron stupid clueless noob
At least when im done with accutane i wont be hanging out on an acne forum the rest of my life like you. Have fun with your scars, I'm sure your really attractive!

shut up you idiot, it causes scarring and blotchiness to a high percentage of all who use it. If you only have mild acne and are freaking out about it you will freak out even more after a few months on tane. so stfu u moron stupid clueless noob
At least when im done with accutane i wont be hanging out on an acne forum the rest of my life like you. Have fun with your scars, I'm sure your really attractive!

yeah i look great at the moment thanks, scars are healing, never looked better. Like I said it gets worse for most people on accutane for some time, some people with mild acne on here have stated that they developed some cystic acne over the course and their skin was never the same again. You have a long way to go moron, hope those words dont come back to haunt you. idiot

I've just started roaccutane for acne which is pretty similar (maybe even slightly milder than yours, although the fact that I'm already scarred was a factor), so my dermatologist obviously thought it would work. He knows what he's talking about too, and in 10 years as a Consultant, he's prescribed roaccutane to 3,000 people, a good number of whom had "mild" acne. It's all about preventing scarring and depression, not applying some arbitrary rule that says you can't have it because you need to have 1 more zit and it needs to be 2mm larger.