Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bighouse1

How do people get so much tane for so little weight?

I weigh 163lbs. 1st+2nd month was 40mg, month 3-5 60mg and month 6 will be 70mg. A cumulative dose around 132-135mg/kg and I only have moderately severe acne.

I see people with same dosages as me weigh like 100-120lbs and less acne. Isn't that bad? I know a cumulative dose of 120-150mg/kg is all really needed. And thus some of those people with such low weight and much mg of Accutane still have problems.

Also I read some guy in there weighs like 170lbs. was on 30mg of tane for like 7 months with cystic acne and cleared up. I want to know what's going on here.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Unless I'm wrong with my calculations my cumulative dose is going to be around 162 mg/kg. Anyone else get this high of a cumulative dose? I thought over 150 mg/kg was overdoing it.

I started month 1 with 40 mg and my derm said from now on I'm going to be on 80 through to the end. I have mild/moderate acne.

I think it really is the prescribing doctors judgement as to how much they think a person needs. I guess my derm just wants to make sure I get what I need. SJe did say if the dryness and side effects were too much for me that I could do 60 mg a day. That figures out to about 125 mg/kg for me.

I guess all derms have their different ways of prescribing accutane. I weigh 110 lbs and my derm wanted to put me on 40mg for 5 months. I pushed him to 50mg for the 2nd month and thru the rest of the treatment. I did this because I am taking a generic form and have heard that its absorbtion is less than the accutane brand name. Also this is my 2nd course so i want to make sure its my last. I may even get him to go up to 60mg, mainly because they discontinued the 10mg pills of clavaris and i may not have a choice.

Personally, I believe in the progressing the dosage. Starting out small and going higher. I think its a more popular method the derms use. I feel bad for those that weight as much as I do taking 80mg because the side effects must be horrible, i can only imagine.

Correct me if Im wrong, but to figure out your correct dosage, you just divide your weight by 2 right? Anyways, yes the cumulative dose is 125 but just because you swallow the pill everyday doesnt guarantee that it all gets absorbed. right? :confused:

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

I guess all derms have their different ways of prescribing accutane. I weigh 110 lbs and my derm wanted to put me on 40mg for 5 months. I pushed him to 50mg for the 2nd month and thru the rest of the treatment. I did this because I am taking a generic form and have heard that its absorbtion is less than the accutane brand name. Also this is my 2nd course so i want to make sure its my last. I may even get him to go up to 60mg, mainly because they discontinued the 10mg pills of clavaris and i may not have a choice.

Personally, I believe in the progressing the dosage. Starting out small and going higher. I think its a more popular method the derms use. I feel bad for those that weight as much as I do taking 80mg because the side effects must be horrible, i can only imagine.

Correct me if Im wrong, but to figure out your correct dosage, you just divide your weight by 2 right? Anyways, yes the cumulative dose is 125 but just because you swallow the pill everyday doesnt guarantee that it all gets absorbed. right? :confused:

Is that true for all generics? I heard somewhere that some derm's prefer the generic Sotret (the one I'm on). I've been wondering where that came from.

To figure it out I added the 40 mg I'm taking for 30 days (1200) and then the 80 I'll be taking for 5 months, or 150 days, (120,000) and divided it by my weight in kg. I don't know if that's right or not though.

Generic, brand name all the same and yes it does get absorbed as long as you eat a meal that has a few hundred calories in it I don't mean pizza or fries everyday lol.

To know your cumulative dose for you add all of your dosage up for 6 months (if you were on it for 6 months). You take that sum and divide it by 6 because of 6 months and what you get you multiply it by 180 (180 days), then what you get you divide by kilos (for ex you weigh 60kgs)

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Jen

If you're on a 6 month course and stay on 50mg then this is what I got:

40X30 = 1200 that's 40mg a day for 30 days

50X150 = 7500 that's 50 mg a day for 150 days (approx. 5 months)

together they add up to 8700.... you weigh 110 lbs which is 49.9 kg

so 8700/49.9 = about 174.35 mg/kg

Again that's what I got so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I've been trying to figure it out how your're supposed to do it but I can't find the post I saw awhile ago that spelled it right out.

Hey, thanks for figuring it out for me :D Im actually on a 5 month course so it would come to around 147, so thats still above the recommended dosage.

I usually take my pill with a salad, dressed with olive oil and tossed with sunflower seeds. Also with 1 omega 3*6*9, and 1 fish oil. Ive been trying to eat healthy and cant imagine eating fried chicken or mc donalds everyday for the next 4 months! :naughty: