Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest tvirus_outbreak

About Accutane

Guest tvirus_outbreak

Hey everyone. I know about all the horrible things accutane can do to you (acne fulminans, liver damage etc) but I just had a few questions about it.

1. How old do you have to be to take it?

2. I know it's meant to be a last resort, but I've noticed that a lot of people with mild - moderate acne get it prescribed why is that?

3. Have you tried it yourself? If so was it effective and what were the side effects?

4. If you have tried it, what things were you forced to try before you were prescribed it?

5. How much does it cost?

6. After being prescribed accutane, how long did it take you to actually get the accutane?

I would also like to add that I live in Australia and get a few cysts on my chin monthly and they often leave marks/scars. I have fair sensitive skin that is extremely vulnerable to sunburn and creams such as retin-a and benzoyl peroxide. In fact I have two cysts on my chin right now. OW! ):

1. How old do you have to be to take it? Over 12 - according to the leaflet inside the box (of tane)

2. I know it's meant to be a last resort, but I've noticed that a lot of people with mild - moderate acne get it prescribed why is that? Probably because their acne has been unresponsive to all other treatments - like mine.

3. Have you tried it yourself? If so was it effective and what were the side effects? Im only on day9 so can't really help you there. So far the side effects I have got have been dry lips and eyes (nothing severe though), and a slight increase in redness and bumpy skin, no serious intial outbreak though.

4. If you have tried it, what things were you forced to try before you were prescribed it? Pretty much everything. My GP has had me on two lots of Birth Control (only for girls), various forms Benzoyl Peroxide (which I'm allergic to), Long course antibiotics, Retin-A, Anti-Inflamatorys, Anti-Bacterial face creams/washes,.... you name it; I've tried it :doubt:

5. How much does it cost? Depends where you live and what insurance cover you have. Here in the UK we have the NHS - but that means waiting yonks to even see a derm once. So I went privately and paid upfront. To see the derm once it cost me £120, and the first two months of tane cost £230 (roughly).

6. After being prescribed accutane, how long did it take you to actually get the accutane? I got it the same day as I saw the derm. Going privately usually means things happen a lot quicker. It also depends on whether your derm will want blood tests etc which may prolong it a couple of weeks (mine didn't).

Hope that helps :D

Lu x

I'm on my second day of accutane (sortret).

I am 24 and have moderate papular/pustular acne that was not controlled by oral anitbiotics and topicals. Basically my derm prescribed it since the only thing that will stop the acne is decreasing oil production.

I haven't noticed any side effects yet. Also I make sure to take it with a high fat meal since this doubles the amount in the blood (it is fat-soluble).

Guest tvirus_outbreak

Thanks for the info guys! :clap:

was on accutane once when i was 16. cleared things up well for the next 6 years. now am on a 2nd round for a bout of cystic acne. the first time i was on accutane the only side effects i had was dry lips and some muscle aches. (i think my skin was so oily to begin with that the accutane dried it so it was normal - not dry). now that i'm on it a second time (for 2 weeks now) the only side effects i've noticed is dry lips and some peeling on my face.