Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all. I’ve been a long time ‘lurker’ of these boards trying to find what everyone seems to be looking for: a way to have consistently clear skin. I finally decided to cave in and ask the acne.org community for some help, knowing you’ll have some experience in these matters!

A little background: I’m a male in my 20s and have been battling mild/moderate acne since I was 12. I’ve done everything: over-the-counter (bp, sa, herbal) and prescription (triaz, duac, differin, retin a, retin a micro, oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, cortisone shots). Luckily I have been able to “control� my acne with these medications, however I still have persistent break outs (mild), oily skin, and the red marks are taking longer and longer to fade away. It has really started to affect my confidence and is just frustrating as h*ll!

I have a major event in my life coming up in just over a year: I am getting married (lucky me)!!! My fiancé has been extremely supportive of everything which I am truly grateful for! However, I want to be as close to 100% clear for our wedding next year as possible and for the rest of my life.

I guess the reason for my post is to see if you’ll think I’m a candidate for accutane? I have considered taking it in the past, however my dermatologist has never brought this up as an option. Do you think he will identify with my situation? I have an appointment in August, how should I approach this with him? What if he says no, should I seek a new derm, or should I accept the fact I’m not a candidate?

Also, if I take it now, will my skin be ok in a year (red marks, dryness, chapped lips, thinning hair)? I was thinking about having chemical peels after the treatment just to make sure!

I would greatly appreciate your comments.

From what I understand, it is very difficult to get an accutane prescription for mild or even moderate acne. I would say your best chance of getting an accutane prescription would be to emphasize how resistant your acne has been to other treatments. If your dermatologist will not prescribe you accutane, make sure you understand exactly why not (factor in risks, other treatments, etc...) before you search for a new dermatologist.

I should mention that two of my close friends have been an accutane and I saw what they went through. Say that, I am willing to bare the side effects if I would get the same results as they did (they have AMAZING skin). I highly doubt my derm would say 'yes' to accutane, but I guess its worth a shot!

I should mention that two of my close friends have been an accutane and I saw what they went through. Say that, I am willing to bare the side effects if I would get the same results as they did (they have AMAZING skin). I highly doubt my derm would say 'yes' to accutane, but I guess its worth a shot!

Well, good luck!

Hey Chicago

You may want to mention that your condition is recalcitrant. ... not responsive to treatment, causing

emotional stress and possibly causing scarring. Those are criteria for prescribing Accutane.

You have time before your wedding next year. Somewhere there is a doc who will prescribe for you, it's just a matter of how badly do you want it? It may even be a good thing to plan the end of treatment about the time of your wedding so you will have maxium benefits from the drug.

Best of luck and greetings from the Midwest :-)

Maj

Thanks for your help everyone. I decided I'll give it a try. I'm thinking about lining up a couple of appointments with different derms throughout the summer and hopefully I'll find one by the end. I need to do it soon as I am still on my dad's insurance (which expires soon) because my works insurance doesn't kick in until 6 months of employment!!!

I'm not sure if I can do this, but PM me if you know a good derm in chicago (that prescribes accutane).

Thanks Again!

Also - do men have to sign up for ipledge or is it just for females?

Good luck Chicagojoe! Sounds like your acne is a lot like mine. I suffer from very mild acne, sometimes it can be slightly moderate. I never tried precriptions such as Differin, Retin-A, Duac, etc. I didn't want to because I knew it would be a waste of money and time. I just bought over the counter medications such as Serious Skin Care products and Pro-Activ including BP gels. All of them did nothing for my acne except to keep ot somewhat under control. They all just irriatated my skin, made it flakey and it did nothing for my excessive oiliness.

So, I went to the derm. I told a white lie saying that I tried every medication so she could have sympathy for me and prescribe me Accutane. I might have mild acne but it's persistent and I had it since I was a teenage and like you, I'm now in my 20's and so tired of this. She prescribed me Accutane and I'm 4 months in today and I LOVE it!!! I don't have one pimple on my face. *Knock on wood* My face is matte the entire day. Before, it was like an oil field, seriously. I'm really loving this stuff. Don't hesistae going on this medicine. It truly is wonderful. I'm on 40 mg's a day, consistently for 7 months. I'm only 100 lbs so my derm doesnt want to put me on a high dosage to the point whre my body won't be able to handle it and I'll want to get off the treatment. I've had very little side effects thankfully, just dry lips and dry eyes. My eyes are only dry in the morning. So, go for it. Like you, I have friends that went on this drug and their skin is flawless now; really beautiful. I wish I woul've went on this medication sooner.

So, go on it. Tell your derm about how acne makes you feel and how long you've been suffering with it. Since you have tried other medications, maybe he/she will prescribe this medicine to you.

Congratulations on your wedding!

And yes, I believe men have to go through i-PLEDGE as well.

Update

I saw a new derm this morning and things didn't go as I would have liked. The docter told me he wanted to put me on accutane, however, he couldn't :doubt: . He said that the new regulations (ipledge) have made it impossible for him to prescribe it to anybody. He claimed that since ipledge came into effect, he hasn't been able to give it to any of his patients. I kinda believe him since he is really old and doesn't even have a computer! On the other hand, I was recommended by an post-accutane user to go see him, so I really don't know what to think :liar: . When I asked him if he knew any docters that could prescribe the medicated, he was clueless!

Anyways, he prescibed me Tazorac. I already tried it once and it gave me a huge rash and irritated my skin badly! The derm said he gave me a lower concentration and that I shouldn't have a problem. He also claimed that when used with mino and duac it acts like accutane, which is total BS! I'm not even going to fill the prescription. Docters are starting to piss me off!

I guess I will try another derm. This time I'll ask if he/she/they are able to prescribe accutane before I make an appointment.

If anyone has any suggestions/advice I would greatly appreciate it. Any Chicago residents have any places I should try (PM me)?

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

I am getting really frustrated! After calling 5 different derm offices this morning, only one has the ability to prescribe accutane and they were even reluctant in giving me get an appointment!!! Apparently, since the beginning of March there are newer and tougher regulations for prescribing this medication, both for docters and patients. Has anyone else had this problem? I almost want to give up!

I'll keep updating as I get more information.