Tried everything - NEED HELP

I've tried everything I can think of:

Regimen

Benzyl Peroxide

Proactiv

Proactiv knockoffs

Herbil Logix Scar and Blemish Cream

Various SA products

Some prescription thing; Benzamycin or something?

NOTHING works. Proactiv worked well for the first month, then the effect went poof.

I know my acne isn't as severe as others, but its still bothersome. I'm a confident guy, but when acne comes it completely ruins any self confidence I have (especially during more severe outbreaks).

If I don't shave, the acne appears under my hair. This makes it hard to shave, but when I do, acne often appears in those areas. Its mostly around my hair lines (sideburns, mustache, beard, eyebrows). Rarely does my forehead, cheeks, neck, etc break out.

I was thinking folicitis or whatever its called since I have curly hair but...

What should I try? I'm pretty much down for anything right about now. Please help!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks in advance!

What products are you currently using?

Also, specifically what were the problems with the products you tried?

With salicylic acid products, chances are you weren't using one that was both gentle and pH correct. Most of them have a pH that is too high (over 4) and/or contain irritants like alcohol, menthol, pepperment, citrus, etc....

Have you tried retinoids? If so, which ones?

Do you wear a sunscreen? If so, what is its SPF and what are the active ingredients?

Feel free to PM me.

your acne reminds me of my own more than anyones i've ever seen.. I do get some pimples on my forehead and the front of my neck though..

So like me you've tried everything.. I've even tried everything you've tried and alot more.

The thing that cured me was this www.freeacnebook.com its very hard to follow, but if you do it you will get clear..

What products are you currently using?

Also, specifically what were the problems with the products you tried?

With salicylic acid products, chances are you weren't using one that was both gentle and pH correct. Most of them have a pH that is too high (over 4) and/or contain irritants like alcohol, menthol, pepperment, citrus, etc....

Have you tried retinoids? If so, which ones?

Do you wear a sunscreen? If so, what is its SPF and what are the active ingredients?

Feel free to PM me.

Clean and Clear Acne Cleanser Gel stuff...

Sometimes I'll also use Clearisil 3 in 1 Acne Defense.

Doesn't do anything; alone or together.

There wasn't problems with any of the products. No extra breakouts or redness or anything. They just didn't work. Acne was basically the same before, during, and after.

Sometimes I'll get so excited that a product seems to be working (usually in the first week) and my face will clear up mostly, then poof, it breaks out like it is now.

Retnoids? Not familiar.

No sunscreen. However, I'm more of a homebody so its not like im getting excessive sun. My face actually seems to clear up a bit when I'm in the sun. Not that much, but a bit.

I would use a gentle, non-bar, non-medicated cleanser (salicylic acid medicated cleansers typically don't work because they almost always have too high of a pH, plus a lot of the medication goes down the drain).

Then I would apply Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid (salicylic acid) liquid. Salicylic acid is lipid soluble and can exfoliate within the pores, unlike alpha hydroxy acids and manual exfoliants. I know you don't have any results from salicylic acid, but neither did I until I tried this one (see my previous post).

After the salicylic acid I would apply an irritant-free benzoyl peroxide product, like Dan's Neutrogena's, or Paula's Choice's. You may need something stronger than 2.5%, though I would start out at that strength when using it after the salicylic acid. I do not recommend a 10% strength product. The salicylic acid will increase the penetration of the benzoyl peroxide into the pore. Although there is an increased chance of irritation when using both products, most people find that combining effectively formulated salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide products works better than using one product alone because saliclyic acid unclogs pores, while benzoyl peroxide disinfects. Irrtation typically subsides after two weeks.

You should then spot treat any dry or irritated areas with a gentle moisturizer; do not apply moisturizer where it is not needed because this can mix with sebum and "glue" dead skin cells to the skin's surface, increasing the chance of clogged pores.

You may want to ask your dermatologist about a prescription retinoid product like Retin-A, Tazorac, or Differin. Retinoids are forms of Vitamin A that can penetrate the deeper layers of the skin to help normalize pore funcion. Most retinoids cannot work in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide, but Differin apparantly can.

During the daytime, you should wear a sunscreen that is at least an SPF 15 and contains avobenzone, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or mexoryl sx (outside the US). Avobenzone is not likely to clog pores. The above mentioned sunscreen ingredients are recognized by the FDA to protect against UVA rays. Sun damage is cumulative and happens whether or not you tan. Also, UVA and UVB rays can penetrate clouds and UVA rays can penetrate through untinted glass and light clothing. Sun damage prematurely kills skin cells and litters the skin with more dead skin cells than it can slough off, thus creating the potential for more clogged pores. Also, tanning thickens the skin, making it harder to exfoliate itself. You may notice that your skin looks better after tanning because sunrays kill some bacteria and the deeper complexion hides redness; however, tanning also destroys the skin's ability to heal itself and fend itself off from bacteria. After the bacteria have a chance to recooperate, you may get a bad breakout becuase of an increase in clogged pores and a weakened ability to fight off bacteria. I recommend the Neutrogena Dry Touch line, which offers great protection and is not greasy like other sunscreens.

Here is an article you should check out:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....REFER=SKIN&ID=6