Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bethanyrushes

Brevinor/Brevicon Contraceptive Pill

I've just been given my first ever supply of contraceptive pills by my doctor, I'm 23 and I've never needed them before cos I haven't been in a steady relationship, but I've been with my boyfriend for nearly 4 months now and I thought it was about time.

However, I'm concerned about the side effects of Brevinor. I suffer from acne breakouts and I really, really don't want to gain weight as I'm not exactly thin as it is.

Does anyone here use Brevinor? Anything you can tell me about it?

Thanks!!

:angel:

I've never heard of the BCP your doc gave you. But I would highly recommend Yasmin BCP. It's a monophasic pill that keeps your hormone levels stable and consistent, and it has drospirenone (DRSP), which is a variant of spironolactone, an androgen blocker (androgens are the hormones that cause the over-production of oil, which causes acne). Yasmin is also a diuretic, so weight gain on it is rare. I've been on it for a while now, and I'm loving it! I was on ortho tri-cyclen for a few months before and hated it. It made me nauseous, made my breakouts worse, and it also made me crazy. On Yasmin I feel more like myself than I have in a long, long time.

Just a note of encouragement: it takes a while to find the BCP that's right for you, so be patient. I didn't know that OTC was so terrible for me until I switched to Yasmin and found out that BCPs can have more positive side effects than negative. Just give it time, and keep in mind that what works for one person may not work for you.

Good luck!

Hey thanks for replying.

I took my first Brevinor pill today and I'm gonna see how it works, but thanks for advice, if it doesnt work I'll def try Yasmin :)