Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Taneja

considering dermabrasion or laser

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and i have been reading comments for a while and decided to join in...

i have been suffering from my scars on my cheeks... they are deep wide ones and they look really bad under the sun.

i was considering dermabrasion or laser surgery, but this is my plan:

since i have distinct scarring, i was thinking of taking care of one scar at a time. i know this will be expensive but i guess playing it safe is well worth it... and after surgery i will have one small wound to deal with, and after that is healed i will go and get another scar removed...

does anyone think this is a good idea?

thanks

T.

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and i have been reading comments for a while and decided to join in...

i have been suffering from my scars on my cheeks... they are deep wide ones and they look really bad under the sun.

since i have distinct scarring, i was thinking of taking care of one scar at a time. i know this will be expensive but i guess playing it safe is well worth it... and after surgery i will have one small wound to deal with, and after that is healed i will go and get another scar removed...

thanks

T.

Hi,

If i had to choose [i have a similar prob. and hv been for the last 4 yrs consulting with

a cosmetic dermatological surgeon] I'd go with the laser, although it is rather very expensive and there is quite some down time.

However inlieu of that, i.e, until you can afford, or if u wanna try some less invasive procedures, I'd also suggest trying a facial peel 1st [it's kinda like a derma brasion, but with chemicals. E.g a chemical peel with glycolic acid].

a bit more info. on your scars : are they raised or pitted?

If the scars are pitted the derma may also suggest

injectable derma fillers, uch as collogen or restalyn!

Hope helps.

they are pitted, they look like craters on the moon... i thought treat one scar at a time instead of the whole cheek... it is worth the extra money because i notice people suffer a lot emotionally if things don't go well... and if something goes wrong, then only a tiny portion of your face will get messed up, and that is also easy to fix than a large area, would you agree?

T.

Hi,

thanks

T.

Hi,

If i had to choose [i have a similar prob. and hv been for the last 4 yrs consulting with

a cosmetic dermatological surgeon] I'd go with the laser, although it is rather very expensive and there is quite some down time.

However inlieu of that, i.e, until you can afford, or if u wanna try some less invasive procedures, I'd also suggest trying a facial peel 1st [it's kinda like a derma brasion, but with chemicals. E.g a chemical peel with glycolic acid].

a bit more info. on your scars : are they raised or pitted?

If the scars are pitted the derma may also suggest

injectable derma fillers, uch as collogen or restalyn!

Hope helps.

they are pitted, they look like craters on the moon... i thought treat one scar at a time instead of the whole cheek... it is worth the extra money because i notice people suffer a lot emotionally if things don't go well... and if something goes wrong, then only a tiny portion of your face will get messed up, and that is also easy to fix than a large area, would you agree?

T

Yes it'd be a good idea to do a test spot 1st. That's what any good derma Dr. should do, to see if the treatment would take a/o work. But generally if you were to do a chemical peel [starting mild then increasing as you/the dr ses fit], it will help to reduce [if only temporarily] the look of the scars & pitting [as well, esp. with the glycolic peels it reduces blochyness and dark/red marks].

But of course all this has to be done in consideration with your derma doc and what should work for you.

I was lucky to hv found a very understanding/prfessional doc, with whom i can be open and he takes my well-being into full regard.

If you don't already hv a dermatologist, then choose carefully. And one who also specilizes in medical cosmetic procedures, "could help" far more / to a greater extent, than simply only a general dermatologist!

all the best,

S

i was thinking of finding a doctor who is working at a hospital, because i heard that doctors at hospitals need to follow strict guidelines or something like that... something like a cosmetic department in a hospital... by the way, where was your doctor located?

thanks...

T

Yes it'd be a good idea to do a test spot 1st. That's what any good derma Dr. should do, to see if the treatment would take a/o work. But generally if you were to do a chemical peel [starting mild then increasing as you/the dr ses fit], it will help to reduce [if only temporarily] the look of the scars & pitting [as well, esp. with the glycolic peels it reduces blochyness and dark/red marks].

But of course all this has to be done in consideration with your derma doc and what should work for you.

I was lucky to hv found a very understanding/prfessional doc, with whom i can be open and he takes my well-being into full regard.

If you don't already hv a dermatologist, then choose carefully. And one who also specilizes in medical cosmetic procedures, "could help" far more / to a greater extent, than simply only a general dermatologist!

all the best,

S

My derma doc is located here in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

He is foremost a cosmetic surgeon, but equally a dermatologist as he's had extensive years of practise

[close to or over 20yrs].

The great thing i like about him too is his great bedside manner (as should be with any/all docs).

But he gives the feeling a/o assurance that it's not just about the superficial but he genuinely cares about

helping his patients, esp those who really need it.

And even though he /his clinic is so called upscale, he doesn't limit himself to treating only the high society ppl.

Another thing that pleased me. When I went to him for/to begin my treatments [which also included a kenalog injection treatment for hyperthropic scars], even though he had never done that treatment before,

he took it upon himself to treat me [up to that time i was unable to find any other derma who gave or was willing to give it].

He kindly asked me to have my previous derma doc, fax him the info on the treatment she used to give me [back when i lived in the Caribbean/West Indies] and he too did his research to find out more about treating my hyperthropic / keloid scars.

He's cautious yet openminded. He never jumps on the bandwagon as soon as any new treatments come out, until they've been adquately tested and he's also the kind of doc who actively attends the conferences with other cosmetic derma docs in the USA & Canada.

You can check out his site here [it's all in french, don't know if that'll be a prob] : http://www.drbisson.com/

But nonetheless if you do a websearch /google for proper professional derma docs in your area/country I'm sure you may find the one that right for you. Still you can enquire at the hospital you intend to go to as to if they can recommend anyone.

There also some great docs that have been recommended by Ophra, the View etc.

i was thinking of finding a doctor who is working at a hospital, because i heard that doctors at hospitals need to follow strict guidelines or something like that... something like a cosmetic department in a hospital... by the way, where was your doctor located?

thanks...

i suggest looking into isolagen with subcision rather than laser or derm.

Its not available in some countries tho.

My personal reccommendation is dr chu at hammersmith hospital london uk. His details and my ongoing results can be found at the link below.

Its one of the least risky forms of scar revision and seems for the most part to reap very good results for people.