Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neca

TCA disaster!?!

Well a little over 9 or 10 months ago I applied about 50% TCA to a small part of my forehead above my right eye which had a long vertical indent in the skin ever since I was a kid. I was hoping that the TCA solution would stimulate some collagen production thus causing the vertical indent to 'fill in'. Instead it has caused highly visible scar tissue to form which stands right out from the rest of my 'reasonably normal skin'. It now somewhat an atrophic scar which I am so depressed about because it's one of the many defects that people STARE at when they are speaking to me.

Does anyone have a reasonable solution to this? I've read that I could try applying some really low doses of TCA (around 5%-8%) every 2 weeks or so and this should slowly burn the scar tissue off without overly damaging the skin. Apparently the 50% TCA is just too intense for skin and it induces the skin to act as if it's an emergency thus creating scar tissue. By doing this the dermis is attempting to protect itself. Well, gee I wish I knew this before doing the peel.

I haven't tried the low dose TCA yet, but I've been doing 5%-10% glycolic acid every other day for the past three weeks but it has made absolutely no different. I think the GA is just not strong enough to penetrate that damn scar tissue.

What I don't get is that there seems to be so many people on here apply high strength TCA over many parts of their face and yet I don't see many reports of scar tissue being formed because of it?

Anyway, thanks a heep for any responses/advice you guys can give. Much appreciated..

What I don't get is that there seems to be so many people on here apply high strength TCA over many parts of their face and yet I don't see many reports of scar tissue being formed because of it?

Of course you don't because almost nobody puts 50% or anything even closely as high on big parts of their skin unless it's TCA cross. You are lucky that's all you ended up with.

Maybe you should try low TCA (12%-15%) every 10 days or so (only on the scar!) and copperpeptides.

your male I would think from the shaved head. That scar looks like a battle scar I wouldnt even mess with it if I were u.

this is why nobody should be buying tca and things off of ebay and doing them theirselves. It dangerous and should be done by a pro only. Good luck Neca

Hey guys thanks for the really quick replies, really appreciate it :)

Of course you don't because almost nobody puts 50% or anything even closely as high on big parts of their skin unless it's TCA cross. You are lucky that's all you ended up with.

Maybe you should try low TCA (12%-15%) every 10 days or so (only on the scar!) and copperpeptides.

Beurer Softlaser is purported to heal various types of scarring. One doctor showed on TV a long, raised keloid scar on her leg. She used the Softlaser to treat half the length of the scar. She can still slightly feel that area of the scar, but it became level with the neighboring healthy skin and almost visibly undetectable. I believe she said it took her over 45 days of treatments.

From my personal experience, the Softlaser does have some merit, but it will take a significant period of time to see improvements (with 3 daily treatments of 3-6 minutes each). Don't expect results in a week or even well over a month.

For more details, just Google "Beurer Softlaser".

Heartless,

First time I ever hear about this (home) laser.

Has anyone used it??? Is it a waste of time and money?

I've used the search button and there are absolutely no reviews. By the way, they don't accept returns at all and 200 + dollars is a lot for just a simple experiment.

To me this seems a keloid scar ...You simply can't do any kind of deep peel (TCA, laser) cause your skin reacts in this way..

I have the same scars, from tca too. My scars were red and raised forever then I got 4 v beam treatments now there white and flat and look exactly like yours. Your lucky your is on your forehead mine are on my lower cheeks, one of them runs right down my laugh line,, its horrible looking .

I have been sugessted to get filler injections but informed that its going to be permently discolored . Dermabrasion is my next extempt. It will take a couple to smoothe the demarkation intent lines even know the scar is flat it still has a very fine line between the scar and normal skin.

Your scar is a hypertrophic scar and i highly suggest not putting any more tca on it even small percentage, your scar can become keloidal and just get worse and bigger .. You will need to find a way to cut into the scar tissue such as dermabrasinon or needeling can do. I will try to keep posted on what I do and if any progress. Good Luck to you too.

sorry I have not been able to get back to everyone thats pm'd me, I have been overwhelmed with finals but I will soon. I added my pics to the gallery but I don't know if there working.

beauty there are a lot of cosmetic surgeries offering scar tatooing. I dont know if the tatooing itself would cause hypertriphic scaring, but if not then you may find having a colour similar to your usual skin colour tatooed on your scars helpful. Then can use something like dermablend or similar when you are tanned (if you are not dark skinned already)

Well my scar is not raised or depressed; it's in fact the same level as my surrounding normal skin. However, since originally it was indented the tca probably has stimulated scar tissue which has caused it to become raised, meaning it is now in line with the surrounding tissue.

Beautyscarred24, it seems we have exactly the same scar problems. My scar also has 'a very fine line between the scar and normal skin'. But I'm not lucky, this is not the only scar on my face; I have other TCA scars where I tried treating sun spots/sun damaged areas of my skin with higher doses and this has caused scar tissue to form. But these areas don't have the shiny, noticeable scar tissue visible; instead they are just much paler areas as compared to the rest of my skin which still sucks.

So do you guys think I should try lightly needling the scar tissue? I think I am a bit confused between TCA Cross and needling. Is needling just lightly poking the scar tissue with a needle; and TCA cross is putting really high concentrated TCA on a v. tiny part of the skin?

Yep definitely Moonface, am so careful about that. My sun-induced hyperpigmentation occurred prior to the scar so have learnt to stay out of the sun. Moreover, the UV would worsen the scar especially since I'm using glycolic acid so am being really careful. I make sure I always wear a cap and protection ;)

Look up the Medical Roll-CIT, this can really work with thin, white or other types of thin scars...I had this done in December for extensive electoloysis scars, and it has take time, but slowly, my skin has improved, with no additional scarring or pigmentation problems....on the Environ.com site, you can request information on physicians doing this procedure. There's only about 20-30 in the country at this point, because physicans for the most part are controlled by laser manufacturers. this is very low tech, so it's not a "sexy" as other procedures, but my skin

After doing several things over the last year, and reading countless entries on different procedures, it's obvoius that no one thing works for everyone, you really have to be careful, but also, it seems that when people don't get immedate results, they get upset and immediately start looking for something else, then probably when it works, alot of these people don't come back to the message boards because they're one with the rest of their lives....scar treatments really need several months to see the effect, unfortunately...

SmoothLover, the Softlaser is expensive, but if you're interested in purchasing one, they are sometimes available on eBay. They are also available at: http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/product_...mId=372407&Nz=0 for $99.99 CAN.

I can't defninitively say whether the Softlaser is 100% effective because I use so many different things, but for new, superficial scars, they do decrease the inflammation and increase the healing rate. Specifically, I own 2 Softlasers which I use in conjunction with a ultrasound facial device (that claims to break down scar tissue using 3 Mhz ultrasound waves @ 3 million per second) and a Dermawand (the older version of the Oxylight). I believe the latter 2 devices help the penetration of whatever products you apply (e.g. hydroquinone products for dark marks, BP for active breakouts etc.) and all 3 devices increase the skin's collagen production using different methodologies.

If anyone else has used these devices, we'd be interested in hearing about your results (or perhaps I'm the only one willing to try everything under the sun in hopes of achieving perfection... :wall: ...I just read about gamma hydroxy and may consider trying it, too. )

Yeh this time I will go to a professional, however I am unsure as to how to proceed> more light acid peels or needling?

try Wobenzym, like 10-20 a day (it's completely safe). There is some research to suggest it can break up scar tissue from the inside. Will work best the sooner you take it after the injury happens (it looks only 1-2 months old?). That and copper peptides, just on the area.

Thanks Fellowsufferer but as I indicate in my original post, the scar is almost 10 months old.

BTW, has anyone seen/tried this interesting 'home needling' device:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em_guide:1&rd=1

Seems like quite a good an convenient device.

The seller also provides some additional info on skin needling:

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Scar-amp-aging-...T:-1:LISTINGS:2

Would be cool to hear whether anyone has tried this needle roller out as it seems it could help with my scars.

Thanks Fellowsufferer but as I indicate in my original post, the scar is almost 10 months old.

BTW, has anyone seen/tried this interesting 'home needling' device:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em_guide:1&rd=1

Seems like quite a good an convenient device.

The seller also provides some additional info on skin needling:

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Scar-amp-aging-...T:-1:LISTINGS:2

Would be cool to hear whether anyone has tried this needle roller out as it seems it could help with my scars.

What you have here is a full thickness scar and my guess is this was from an injury when you were younger and then became worse with the TCA? If so this is very different than acne scars. Being that it was an indent shows me that the scar was contracted but had remodeled over the years to be less visible. It was at this point that needling could have been helpful. Now with further damage from the TCA I doubt that anything will help other than excision and a better placement of the scar, ie breaking up the linear aspects to make it not so obvious. Risks are high for worse scarring if you don't have an excellent PS and you heal poorly.

This is a hypertophic scar that has contracted making it indented. The white will never go away completely but skin remodels for normal tissue like the surrounding tissue but very slowly, 20 years plus for some. This is most likely what happened with the original scar over time. Here you have tissue remodeling and it is likely the the indent will lessen but seeing the white thickness the scar has already quiclky healed so the contracture is most likey to lessen in a few years with a narrowing of the width of white.

Being younger the wounding response is more prone to thicker scars and males are even more prone. Yes it is because you have excellent collagen remodeling in wounding, ie fibroblast stimulation but this stimulation as you see has not created the right type of collagen for an esthetic effect. Skin cells have superior memory and will create the pattern already laid for repair and with a severe inflammatory response you will have even more scar tissue than before. As with any tissue remodling it is very difficult to get by this as many sufferers from acne have experienced. IMO and what I have seen there are more negative results or no results with high percent TCA than positive. Many variables for this.

I have used many methods and the scar derma roller can be effective for certain scars. The problem here is breaking up the scar to allow normal tissue to grow is difficult because of what I just said. It is likely that you will scar more. Any time you increase inflammation you risk more scarring.

If you plan to do a roller method then the advice for enzymes here is appropriate. I suggest Vitalzym as it is more aggressive. There are others less expensive but serrapeptase is the ingredient you want included. This can take many months to see changes with rolling and enzymes. Proteolytic enzymes will help keep inflammory responses more in balance while at the same time act on old fibrotic tissue and prevent new fibrosis. I would also add quercetin to this mixture.

Copper peptides will not penetrate the scar. I would combine this with DMSO if you have some cp's left. DMSO will soften the scar by itself but can be irritating to the epidermis so caution is needed. Jacobs Labs has the best, 50% only. Using acids are inflammatory and I would not do this. Not even salicylic acid at this point.

Needling and growth factors may also help, Neocutis is the new one on the market.

You can buy accupunture scar rollers online that are much cheaper than this one. But this is not bad and the doctor seems to have experience. I am not sure but he said he studied in France and Horst Liebl(sp?) from France is the inventor of the scar derma roller and Dr. Des Ferandez(sp?) is the Roll Cit inventor, only sold to professionals. Many posts here about these and other needling methods.

Good luck.

Man, I did the exact same thing to my face that you did with TCA. Don't believe the hype, TCA Cross is not all its cracked up to be. It may be beneficial under certain conditions when done by a licensed professional, but even then the jury is still out on the procedure. I was depressed and frustrated about my scars and figured I didnt have much to lose. Unfortunately I lost whatever remaining viable tissue I had left underneath my original scars. I feel a million times worse post TCA cross than I did before I did it. Its a combination of devastating results and regret of being ignorant enough to do the procedure on myself with no experience and no medical consult or approval. If there is one thing I would like to see changed about this board it would be some sort of censorship that would prevent people from advocating self surgery. Self surgery in almost every case will end up being self-mutilation and that is worse than any acne induced form of scarring. From what I've inquired into from PS and derms is that there is little that can be done about hypertropic scarring once its flattened and discolored. Scar revision is a possibility but as one poster previously mentioned it is very risky. I dont know what I'm going to do moving forward. I guess I just have to accept it and look like hell for the rest of my life. It sucks but it sure is better than ruining the rest of my face through other failed and insane attempts at self cosmetic surgery.

Well, I decided to go down the needling route and have performed two sessions myself on the scar using 30 gauge sterilised needles. I did hear the constant 'popping' of the scar tissue as I pierced it with the needle however once the wound healed and scabbed off, the scar is still visible. It's still very shiny and clearly a different colour to my normal skin.

In fact there has been no change whatsoever which is so frustrating and depressing. I will post another picture of it just for a progress record.

I think now I have no other option but to get it excised by a professional, is this the right option..? What do you guys think>?