Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
katelyn7

Hi, new with questions

I have been breaking out for about 5 years now, but as of lately my skin has been pretty calm. i break out more during my period but the rest of the time i have one or two noticable blemishes. i do have some scarring now but i guess i've coe to realize that i think my acne is much worse than it really is.

sooo since breaking out ive ben to 3 dermatoligists, and have been on three perscription pills and 6 topical creams, i alwys asked for accutane but they said i dont have the type of acne that is made for (i just have white heads with the occasional red bump)

right now i wash with the PURE bar and use aveno spf 30 moisturizer and wear clean tint makeup by neutrogena.

now i want to know what you think, should i try the birth control route to clear mup what seems to be a hormonal acne problem or tell the dermatologist what i posted here and see what he/she suggests? thanks so much for your help!

If the pills you were on were antibiotics and they did NOT help, then using Yasmin or Ortho TriCyclen MAY clear up your acne since it sounds like a mild to moderate case anyway. But just an FYI- if you have RESISTANT acne (resistant acne isn't always severe, as well as severe acne does not necessarily mean that it is resistant) then the BCP 's might not work... Ask your derma about this and see what they say... if your acne is hormonal then there is a good chance it will work.... GOOD LUCK!

I would stop washing with a bar cleanser, first off. Many bar cleansers have an alkaline pH, which can actually encourage bacterial growth. Also, bar cleansers use harsh cleansing agents. If your skin doesn't feel irritated (tight, dry, tingly, etc.) after cleansing, your bar probably counteracts its harsh cleansing agent with glycerin. Still, no irritation is better than counteracted irritation. Lastly, the ingredients that keep bar cleansers in bar form can be absorbed into the skin to clog pores (watch out for anything labeled non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, etc...; many of these claims are not regulated by the FDA).

I reccommend Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser as an alternative.

Oh, and it couldn't hurt to see your dermatologist about the birth control pills. However, I have heard that birth control pills can cause a condition called melasma (causes hyperpigmentation of the face).