Oily Skin Causing A...

Notifications
Clear all

Oily Skin Causing Acne?

MemberMember
(@tyler-r)

Posted : 07/07/2013 8:53 pm

I've had oily skin for about 4 years now and it has been the bane of my existence. I believe that if my skin produced a normal amount of oil, that i wouldn't have any acne problems and that oily skin is 99% of the reason why my skin isn't clear. My mom had oily skin so unfortunately I think it's genetics/hormones that cause mine but I also have tons of blackheads and clogged pores which become inflamed. I want to at least get rid of the acne if not the oily skin too. I rarely get big pimples except for when my hormones are really out of whack (masturbation).

Iv'e read in some users post that, they have extremely oily skin but no ance or very little acne. I was wondering if anyone knew how to minimize the eruption of clogged pores and blackheads while having oily skin? Any supplements I could take to reduce inflammation or anything I can do to decrease clogged pores sufficiently and stuff like that would be helpful.

By the way right now i just wash my face with water and use neem oil to moisturize at night...works alright.

Any replies would be appreciated, Thanks!

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/07/2013 8:57 pm

Oil production seems to be linked to hormones, so you might want to look at some of the hormonal threads for males on what supplements you can take to try and decrease oil. Accutane is the only known medication that actually shrinks pores and stops oil production on the face, but obviously that's a more extreme measure.

I have oily skin too...I find that exfoliation is the best thing to ward off clogged pores. I get clogged pores VERY easily.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/08/2013 4:39 pm

Yep I'm one of those with very oily skin and little acne. The trick is to just keep it clean without irritating it. I've been using an acv toner for about 8 months now, and that probably made the biggest difference.

Anymore, the only acne I get are those hormonally driven blind cysts, but I can get them down to nothing in a day or so with some icing.

Getting a good wet shave also seems to help my skin; I do this every 1-3 days. The shaving acts as an exfoliant and removes the top layer of skin cells.

MemberMember
(@tyler-r)

Posted : 07/09/2013 1:00 pm

Thanks for the replies.

CBIOT13 I see you posting all over the forums. I feel like if they gave you proper funding and a laboratory, you could find out a cure for oily skin since you're so passionate about its obliteration, which is admirable.

So you don't have any clogged pores/blackheads? I have blackheads all over my cheeks and nose which don't go away. I've tried ACV in the past and plan to try it again soon since i believe we have relatively the same skin problems and I see it is helping you.

Also, when it comes to shaving, what kind of razor/shaving cream do you use?

My mom bought me a really nice electric razor for my bday and i've been using that but i think its irritating and i dont get the exfoliating effect from it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/09/2013 3:24 pm

LOL I'm pretty sure if I had the time and education in that area I would. We have the means for an oily skin fix in modern medicine; it would be through the use of a topical DHT inhibitor. The problem is that it is a relatively isolated issue as not many people have such chronically oily skin like you or I; so when pharmaceutical companies decide which products they are going to bring to market they choose the ones with the biggest target consumer group, and it wouldn't be as profitable for them as, say, a cleanser for all skin types.

There are studies out now that have successfully used creams containing DHT inhibitors to lessen oily skin, but they never made it to consumer products. I tried to make one following the directions in one of the studies but it was too unstable; mainly because I didn't have the correct chemicals to preserve it and make it able to be absorbed by the skin.

I do expect to see something like this on the market eventually though; I'd guess in the next 4-10 years. Until then, there's really not much we can do to stop it.

BUT we can treat the symptoms and still have great skin; it just takes a little more effort then some of our more genetically blessed buddies.

I actually rarely get blackheads; I know I haven't got one in the last 3 months. I do get clogged pores; but I'm not sure what you are referring to exactly when you say that. The clogged pores I get come with what are called sebaceous filaments; oxidized oil that rests in the pore. They look like tiny white plugs that are soft and come out with exfoliation. I only get them on my nose and some areas of my cheeks; but they are barely noticeable at all.

Here is my ACV thread detailing how I use it; as well as some updates.

And this thread is one where I explained to someone exactly how I shave; my post is #6

And unfortunately even though I swore against it, I am looking at using a concealer (makeup) for the occasional red spot I get. I don't get much acne anymore, but when I do it is one of those red, swollen, cysts that are really noticeable. If I meet with someone for school or work I need to at least have a consistent look to my skin, I can't one day look great then the next day show up looking like Rudolph LOL; and so if that means using a little concealer every now and then than so be it.

I have thick, black facial hair with fair to medium skin (I've been told I look like Hugh Jackman haha) and so a red spot or two really stands out on my skin. I just have to find something that isn't too noticeable but will still lessen the redness of those occasional fireball red cysts.

And yes I know how frustrating having problem skin can be, and that's why I provide info and chronicle my experiences on acne.org so that my knowledge can help others in a similar position.

MemberMember
(@tyler-r)

Posted : 07/09/2013 7:12 pm

It would be awesome for a cream like that to arrive on the market. I would definitely buy it. Pretty cool that you tried to make your own.

By clogged pores I mean small, under the skin bumps where you can see the hole (pore) and when you squeeze them soft white stuff comes out. They don't scar and the mark is completely gone in a 4-6 days. I don't really exfoliate because I am afraid of breaking out, can you recommend a gentle, yet effective one?

My beard is not thick at all and my clogged pores are in the spots where there is little to no hair. The thicker spots, like my sideburns, never breakout. I guess I am still in the growing process when it comes to that.

I thought about concealer too but I can't bring myself to try it. It's too embarrassing and I don't think I could walk into a store and buy it. Do you think your red, inflamed zits are linked to masturbation/ejaculation? Cause that's usually when I get one.

Sounds to me like we are in the same sinking ship. I really hate sitting in class at college knowing my skin is gleaming and looking like shit under the bright lights and looking around at classmates who have flawless skin. If I had CLEAR oily skin I think I could manage easier. It really lowers my confidence/self esteem and holds me back in life even though I am tall, dark and genuinely handsome.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/10/2013 12:48 am

The exfoliant I use is the ACV itself; the acidic compounds in the vinegar act as a mild chemical peel when it's applied to your skin. Manual exfoliation (products with little beads that basically scratch away dead cells) always seemed to irritate my face, so the acv's chemical exfoliation provides just enough strength burn off old cells without making my skin red or causing more acne.

I used to think that way about men's makeup; but I've changed my thoughts on this. If I can look better with a product, then why not use it? I can get over the momentary loss of pride as I apply it if it means that I can cover up a nasty red mark for a night out or presentation.

I think it takes a strong man to be able to understand the hand he's been dealt, and then adapt and make the most of it. Wallowing in self-pity or worrying about being embarrassed never helped anybody; not once in the entire history of the world haha.

And you shouldn't let it bother you too much. You have no control over it; own it and then change your ways as necessary. You can literally manufacture confidence, most people don't realize this. It truly is just a state of mind, nothing more. We all get one shot in life, make the most of it; whether or not your skin is perfect.

I really never put much blame on cumming for causing my acne. The first reason why is that even though our hormones do change after the deed is done, I cannot see those changes being consistently able to cause a breakout. The studies I've read reflect this line of thinking. Also, what do you plan on doing if it DOES cause acne? Are you going to stop masturbating? Are you going to tell your girlfriend that you can't have sex because you'll breakout? I give a resounding NO to both of those :)

And I hear you with shiny skin during the day. It's annoying, but ADAPT. You know those brown paper towels in most public bathrooms? The ones that suck for actually drying your hands? Well they make great blotting paper for your face; just gently press it into the oily areas and poof, the shine is gone. I probably do this in the bathroom 5-10 times a day; and always between classes. Toilet paper is also an option if they don't have paper towels. I even carry a small pack of tissues in my backpack for the same purpose; in a pinch they work just fine to remove the shine in about 10 seconds. If anyone asks, you tell them that you just "run hot" and are sweating; no one will put a second thought into it. I've done this a million times.

MemberMember
(@tyler-r)

Posted : 07/11/2013 10:40 am

I appreciate your straightforwardness and direct advice. I think I just need to stop being such a bitch and start controlling my skin problems instead of letting it control me. I already use the brown paper towels/toilet seat covers all the time lol.

I think maybe ordering makeup online might be a less embarrassing way of obtaining it. If you use makeup, please post a thread about it so I, and others can benefit from your trials. I look forward to any new discoveries you make and thank you for your reply.

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 07/11/2013 5:11 pm

I'm not going to bombard you with all these ineffective remedies, truth be told we're stuck with oily skin!

For me, oily skin also plays a big role in my acne, so in order to stop the oil from clogging pores, I use Boots Shine Absorbing Blotting Sheets. They are 3 and come in a pack of 50. They are great value and I leave your face oil-less

Seriously Though, definitely consider the blotting sheets, I go nowhere without tem!

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 07/12/2013 4:06 am

Guys, my husband uses concealer and he just uses the self checkout at the stores that have them. Online is good too of course.

I gave some advice to some dudes on the make up section and i think it helped them. Give it a read if you want some tips on makeup from the oily skin perspective. I find that people who dont have oily skin think that we can use the same products they can- so not the case. Application and consistency is totally different for us.

Cbiot- youre on the mark with changing how we think about our skin. While i havent fully accepted that my oily skin is just part of me, i did train myself to stop caring about the fact that i cant wear makeup that evens out my complexion or completely covers my spider veins on my nose. And you know what? I get compliments now because i never look cakey and that my skin looks natural. Which is nice to hear since im so shiny. I honestly would take oily skin over having that thick powdery look. Not giving up on finding a cure though.

MemberMember
(@veini6)

Posted : 08/11/2013 2:51 am

I have been fighting my acne and oily skin since I was in 8th grade and it finally went away when I turned 19 I think due to my pregnancy hormones but I still have VERY VERY oily skin and I also have found the cure to that which is MILK OF MAGNESIA! it is truly magic.