Oily Skin Kind Of R...

Notifications
Clear all

Oily Skin Kind Of Ruining My Life

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 05/30/2013 5:48 am

so my skin gets disgustingly oily an hour after I wash my face. I've always had 'oily' skin, since I was about 13 I got blackheads, then I noticed my nose would be a little shiny after I came home from school, then gradually it got worse and the oil has spread to my entire face now.

My back used to have what you would consider severe acne, but its been 100% clear from using BP (10% at first but now im on the regimen and it still works). But my back doesnt get oily at all.

My face however is less responsive to any treatment because it is so excessively oily. I'm 17 and since its gotten worse through my teens i've no doubt its hormonal, but what am I supposed to do? My skin was combination this time last year and now its entirely oily.

All I ever think about during the day is my skin, how oily does it look, when can I get to a toilet to blot the oil off. Its really affecting my quality of life and there's so little information out there on oily skin, it seems to be considered a 'cosmetic' problem "oh you can control it with a light dusting of powder". Mine is so excessive I wonder if there's an underlying medical condition causing it or something.

I've tried saw palmetto and it didnt do anything, but I used the dried berry powder capsules, has anyone had success with the extract form? I'm not megadosing on b5 either - hair loss? i'll pass.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 05/30/2013 7:33 am

so my skin gets disgustingly oily an hour after I wash my face. I've always had 'oily' skin, since I was about 13 I got blackheads, then I noticed my nose would be a little shiny after I came home from school, then gradually it got worse and the oil has spread to my entire face now.

My back used to have what you would consider severe acne, but its been 100% clear from using BP (10% at first but now im on the regimen and it still works). But my back doesnt get oily at all.

My face however is less responsive to any treatment because it is so excessively oily. I'm 17 and since its gotten worse through my teens i've no doubt its hormonal, but what am I supposed to do? My skin was combination this time last year and now its entirely oily.

All I ever think about during the day is my skin, how oily does it look, when can I get to a toilet to blot the oil off. Its really affecting my quality of life and there's so little information out there on oily skin, it seems to be considered a 'cosmetic' problem "oh you can control it with a light dusting of powder". Mine is so excessive I wonder if there's an underlying medical condition causing it or something.

I've tried saw palmetto and it didnt do anything, but I used the dried berry powder capsules, has anyone had success with the extract form? I'm not megadosing on b5 either - hair loss? i'll pass.

Oily skin is a pain in the ass. With that said, I've always known how to completely eliminate it if I absolutely had to. I know this is like beating a dead horse, but it seems like (for me) masturbation causes excessively oily skin for a few days post. I've been on a 5 day hiatus and my skin is behaving like a normal person's and has that "dewy" look and texture about it. I don't know why this is, but through 6 years trial and error, I'm positive this is my reason.

Of course, if you've tried that before, have you tried lowering your carb intake?. I was on keto for a week or so last year and I just didn't/couldn't have oily skin. It wasn't dry, just "normal".

You could try decreasing your frequency of washing (your face that is). People have reported good results from that.

Do you drink coffee?. Do you eat carbs or simple sugars without a protein/fat source to slow down digestion?.

If all else comes up negative, it may just be your age. As we age, we produce less sebum (Allegedly) and you may still be in the prime of a hormonal phase.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/30/2013 8:01 am

zinc.

vit c.

lots of water.

less stress/more sleep.

limit sugar,grain and oily food,dairy.

do yoga or do light exercise.

how many times do u wash ur face?

u get oily inspite of using bp?

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 05/30/2013 8:28 am

I have to say that, when I used to use BP, nothing on heaven nor Earth could contain the oil on my face.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/30/2013 1:40 pm

I have to say that, when I used to use BP, nothing on heaven nor Earth could contain the oil on my face.

i am surprised as for most bp is drying.

did ever bring up the point to the regimen assitance team?

u should.they could help u out.or at least state a reason.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 05/30/2013 6:54 pm

so my skin gets disgustingly oily an hour after I wash my face.

bingo. try not washing it for a week.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 05/31/2013 6:06 am

If oily skin is such a problem for you, you can try to help us figure it out. Me, CBIOT13 and Jofo are always trying things to reduce the oil and posting our results. I was even driven to take accutane for oily skin, and for the few months I was on 40mg, my skin looked pretty good and I was actually gaining some confidence again. My oily skin research thread might point you in the right direction if you want to find the cause of your oily skin.

MemberMember
(@charlie498)

Posted : 06/08/2013 8:18 am

Hi, So I've just discovered a product that really works for me, and I know how rubbish it is having bad skin so would like to share. I'm in my mid-30's and have had acne all my life. Loads of different treatments and nothing has really worked ...
But now I'm using Aesop - it's an Australian brand. Am using the oil free serum as a moisturiser, and the Parsley Oil as a cleanser. You'd think using oil as a cleanser is odd right, but it stops my skin from drying out. The serum is amazing too. My skin has been better than it's been in years. Still a few minor spots but nothing major in over 3 weeks!
I've tried so many things natural and no, but I honestly think half the 'acne' products actually make your skin worse as they dry it out too much which leads to more oil production. Especially the harsh ones like BP. Then the products for 'normal' skin are too rich. Also exfoliating with a face cloth, and witch hazel toner have really helped too! Your skin is delicate be kind to it, with mild products.
If this helps even one other person that would make me happy!
:-)
MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/18/2013 5:14 pm

Try high doses of MSM (organic sulfur) and niacin/niacinamide, which have been shown to reduce sebum production. MSM will also help with joint pain.

Mainly, try to keep your skin hydrated/moisturized. Be sure to drink lots of water, which is often overlooked. Consider using natural oils like almond oil and evening primrose oil as moisturizers. Most cream/lotion moisturizers, even the ones for "sensitive skin," even though they claim to be noncomedogenic, usually end up clogging pores due to all the emulsifiers, sulfates, and fillers in them. Natural oils like jojoba oil actually emulate the chemical composition of natural sebum, and are quickly and easily absorbed, so the sebaceous glands stop producing excess oil. The only reason they do to begin with is usually to overcompensate for dryness, or because pores are clogged.

A toner like Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, an AHA treatment like Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free Treatment, and regular exfoliation will also greatly help.

Also, obviously use a gentle, non-drying facial cleanser. Many people use harsh soap-based cleansers that completely "strip" their skin and then wonder why their skin becomes so oily 30 minutes later.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 06/18/2013 5:40 pm

Cut down "washing" to once a week with water only. (a splash of cold water on your face every now and then is fine, especially after sweating) Avoid letting hot shower water touch your face but once a week.

Avoid putting any products on your face.

Cutting down on orgasms may drastically improve your overall skin tone and smoothness, (as someone above already mentioned)

Your skin will normalize over time so keep it up and be patient.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/19/2013 11:56 pm

The studies done on saw palmetto showed decreased oil and acne, however they used standardized extracts, not whole herb supplements. Better results are also seen when you use more than one of type of herbal DHT inhibitor, for example combining saw palmetto and stinging nettle.

Most people who try saw palmetto and quit ONLY take saw palmetto and try to take a large dose. You will get bad side effects if you try to take large doses of just saw palmetto. You need to take 300ish mg of saw palmetto and 300ish mg of something else like stinging nettle or pygeum.

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 06/22/2013 1:29 am

Try high doses of MSM (organic sulfur) and niacin/niacinamide, which have been shown to reduce sebum production. MSM will also help with joint pain.

I've never heard of niacin reducing sebum production, but if you decide to take it anyway, be warned that the common form of niacin triggers an intense flush that will make you turn bright red and feel like you have a full-body sunburn. This can be largely avoided with a small enough dose, but just beware that flushing is a common effect of niacin.

Also I want to echo what Omnivium said and emphasize that you are welcome to join us in experimenting with different products (peppermint oil, cedarwood oil, green tea extract, apple cider vinegar, etc.) for reducing oily skin, if it is that big of an issue for you. There aren't really any other options available aside from drugs like Accutane or concealers like MoM.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/22/2013 9:50 am

I've never heard of niacin reducing sebum production, but if you decide to take it anyway, be warned that the common form of niacin triggers an intense flush that will make you turn bright red and feel like you have a full-body sunburn. This can be largely avoided with a small enough dose, but just beware that flushing is a common effect of niacin.

Also I want to echo what Omnivium said and emphasize that you are welcome to join us in experimenting with different products (peppermint oil, cedarwood oil, green tea extract, apple cider vinegar, etc.) for reducing oily skin, if it is that big of an issue for you. There aren't really any other options available aside from drugs like Accutane or concealers like MoM.

There are some studies here linking niacinamide to sebum reduction. There's also a large thread on here somewhere for niacin helping people's acne. Niacin and niacinamide are also now included as ingredients in many topical skincare products.

But yes I forgot to add that it's best to use niacinamide for high doses, which is the flush-free form. I tried regular niacin once and absolutely hated the flushing effect. Some people enjoy it. I take 3000mg of niacinamide daily. It also helps you relax and sleep and has antidepressant properties.

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 06/22/2013 10:05 am

I've always had combo-oily skin.

But fixed it with diet and supps.

However, I do want to note that I DO NOT BUY CLEANSERS OR MOISTURIZERS. I use absolutely nothing except a green clay mask once a week or so.

I did not realize how much better my skin was until months of only washing with water.

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 06/22/2013 4:39 pm

There are some studies here linking niacinamide to sebum reduction. There's also a large thread on here somewhere for niacin helping people's acne. Niacin and niacinamide are also now included as ingredients in many topical skincare products.

But yes I forgot to add that it's best to use niacinamide for high doses, which is the flush-free form. I tried regular niacin once and absolutely hated the flushing effect. Some people enjoy it. I take 3000mg of niacinamide daily. It also helps you relax and sleep and has antidepressant properties.

I think it's specifically topical niacinamide that is suggested to have sebum-reducing effects. Taking it orally can help acne but not oily skin as far as I know.

I had actually forgotten about that study on topical niacinamide, and just yesterday I ordered a moisturizer containing niacinamide. Now the overly optimistic part of me is hoping that it might help my oily skin lol.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/30/2013 12:24 pm

Mainly, try to keep your skin hydrated/moisturized. Be sure to drink lots of water, which is often overlooked. Consider using natural oils like almond oil and evening primrose oil as moisturizers. Most cream/lotion moisturizers, even the ones for "sensitive skin," even though they claim to be noncomedogenic, usually end up clogging pores due to all the emulsifiers, sulfates, and fillers in them. Natural oils like jojoba oil actually emulate the chemical composition of natural sebum, and are quickly and easily absorbed, so the sebaceous glands stop producing excess oil. The only reason they do to begin with is usually to overcompensate for dryness, or because pores are clogged.

A toner like Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, an AHA treatment like Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free Treatment, and regular exfoliation will also greatly help.

Also, obviously use a gentle, non-drying facial cleanser. Many people use harsh soap-based cleansers that completely "strip" their skin and then wonder why their skin becomes so oily 30 minutes later.

Have you used and/or has success with almond and other natural oils as moisturizers? What about natural or gentler cleansers? Right now I use a moisturizer from CeraVe, which seems to work OK.

The studies done on saw palmetto showed decreased oil and acne, however they used standardized extracts, not whole herb supplements. Better results are also seen when you use more than one of type of herbal DHT inhibitor, for example combining saw palmetto and stinging nettle.

Most people who try saw palmetto and quit ONLY take saw palmetto and try to take a large dose. You will get bad side effects if you try to take large doses of just saw palmetto. You need to take 300ish mg of saw palmetto and 300ish mg of something else like stinging nettle or pygeum.

Why do you need the stinging nettle or pygeum as well? I recently purchased saw palmetto but have been reluctant to take it because of the supposedly anti-testosterone effects.

I've always had combo-oily skin.

But fixed it with diet and supps.

However, I do want to note that I DO NOT BUY CLEANSERS OR MOISTURIZERS. I use absolutely nothing except a green clay mask once a week or so.

I did not realize how much better my skin was until months of only washing with water.

This idea has always seemed terrifying to me. At the end of any given day my skin is covered in oil. Using nothing, as in only water, would do nothing to remove the excess oil or kill any bacteria.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/30/2013 12:59 pm

Have you used and/or has success with almond and other natural oils as moisturizers? What about natural or gentler cleansers? Right now I use a moisturizer from CeraVe, which seems to work OK.

I use natural oils, specifically almond oil and evening primrose oil, every day as moisturizers. For a cleanser, I'd suggest Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash or Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean.