Notifications
Clear all

My Acne Story (Currently Using Yaz)

MemberMember
(@ana638)

Posted : 10/16/2015 9:17 am

Hello everyone,

So I never post reviews/stories/pictures on sites like these but in the past few days, I realized that I want to give back to this community - you guys have helped me out so much. Here it goes: 

When I was in high school, I never had acne. In fact, all my friends would compliment my skin and I remember a girl telling me that she was jealous (I had no idea about skin care or what good skin even meant). Early college I started to get breakouts around my period. There were a couple times in the summer when I was traveling that my skin would flare up really bad, but it was manageable. However, I looked forward to the winter months - the weather seemed to suit me and I would rarely breakout during my period. Last summer (2014) I interned outside of my city, and moved out into my own apartment. My skin was perfect. My bf at the time even noticed. Everyone noticed. I mean I did not wear make up, I just practiced good hygiene. When I say skin goals, that is where I want to be.  Then November of 2014, right before I graduated college, my skin went crazy. 

I mean first it was all over my forehead, and I thought that it was stress related. Then it spread to my cheeks, and it was painful, in combination with white heads. My skin felt dehydrated, was red and blotchy, and my pores were visible - something that I had never experienced before. Soon it was concentrated solely on my chin - deep, large, stubborn acne. And always around my period (sometimes when I was ovulating). Fast forward to this summer (2015) - I signed with that company, so moved again. And no surprise, I had the worst flare up ever - I mean a beard of whiteheads and cysts in places I had never had acne before - my upper lips, nose, chin, hair line. It was awful. I skipped work for a couple of days. (It was strange that I also got a hive-like reaction all over my body at the same time. But I think that may be because I tried full body waxing and had ingrown hairs, hence infection in my follicles.) Now my cystic acne flares-up before my period, and because of the stubborn nature of the pimples, it lasts all month. I also notice that in the past year, my body hair grows like animal fur, thick and fast. I have intense mood swings and anxiety - I cry for no reason. And the hair on my head is thinning and falling out. SO WEIRD. I could feel some sort of change was happening within my body. I started to take care of it - yoga, eating right, drinking more water and taking vitamins. Nothing helped. 

Anyways, I got tired of it. It became unpredictable and started to effect my self-esteem. I am 22 and should not feel this way. My job requires me to be professional, and to be frank, when I wear a suit, I feel a teenager playing dress-up because of my face. So I decided to go to the gyno (did not go to derm because a) too expensive and b) I did not want to try topicals). She prescribed Yaz. 

(2 weeks of) Yaz Experience: 

Day 1 - Its a Sunday. I can't sleep. Nauseous. Vomited twice. Slept sitting up.
Day 2 - Headache all day and night. Nauseous.
Week 1 - Nausea and headaches. Acne seems to be improving but that may be because I am done with my period.
Week 2 - Wow, it has started to improve already. My hair isn't falling out. I started using Apple Cider Vinegar as toner (I was afraid of the initial break out people experience on bc so I wanted to minimize bacteria growth on my skin). This morning I woke up with NO ACTIVE CYSTS, AND NO PAIN ON MY FACE. I am not going to get hopeful just yet. There is no way that it can work that fast. I am going to prepare for the worst -  a beard like cyst break out at the end of the month before my period. 

I know that this is long. But I've been meaning to write this out for a while. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS. I WANT TO HELP. Acne sucks. But this forum is great for not feeling alone. :) I will keep updating this for a few months. 

MemberMember
(@ana638)

Posted : 10/22/2015 9:41 am

Week 3 - pores are barely noticeable, skin isn't oily or dry - just right, 4 large cysts on my left cheek from BEFORE I started YAZ are calming down, rest of the face is perfectly clear. I don't feel any cysts forming underneath my skin. To be honest, its been FOREVER since I have felt this carefree about my skin. I have hyperpigmentation, but I know that my skin usually heals very fast. THANK GOD THESE CYSTS DID NOT LEAVE ANY MAJOR SCARS. I will post pics soon.

Side effects: I want to be honest. I do have some discomfort. I wear contacts so my eyes are dry all the time, especially when I wake up. I have minor headaches throughout the day. No weight gain. No decrease in sex drive. No body aches.

Honestly, it is hard to believe that my skin could clear up so fast. I am about to finish my pack, hence nearing my period so I may flare-up - will keep this blog posted.

*I should mention that I am a fairly healthy person. I never use medication for anything so when I do on those rare occasions, it usually works very fast for me. I just don't want to jinx anything (fingers crossed).

MemberMember
(@ana638)

Posted : 10/26/2015 8:47 pm

So it's week 4 and as predicted, deep large and painful cysts have started to form.

- one on each side of my face near ear lobe
- two white heads on each side of my chin
- one huge painful cyst in the middle of my chin (but it calmed down in a day)
- and one just formed a little to the left of the one in the middle. It was amazing - it literally took one hour to form.

This is still better than how it used to be right before my period. This morning I did notice that my pores had enlarged. Here is a picture of my worst cheek. You can see a few pimples that are clearing up. The inflamed ones are active and painful. The rest is hyperpigmentation. 

image.jpg

MemberMember
(@ana638)

Posted : 10/28/2015 9:06 pm

Sigh, it's happening. I am so scared. Is there anyone who had an initial break out with YAZ? How long should I wait? Last night my face was so bad that I felt a throbbing pain all over my lower jaw. Today I have deep large cysts everywhere. I am losing hope. Help, anyone? 

image.jpg

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 10/29/2015 1:26 pm

I developed more acne when I started. Its most likely your hormones adjusting and can take a few months. Im on month 4 and now all my cysts are targeting on my chin, but nowhere else. Improvement? Idk haha. I know its hard but waiting it out is the only way to find out. Have you tried using an Aha? Its been helping me out in the meantime

MemberMember
(@ana638)

Posted : 11/06/2015 7:07 pm

Update (second month, week 1): No active cysts anymore. But I still have skin like small bumps all over my cheeks. Sorry it looks so gross. :/ 

12207685_912011558888217_1774197229_n.jpg

I developed more acne when I started. Its most likely your hormones adjusting and can take a few months. Im on month 4 and now all my cysts are targeting on my chin, but nowhere else. Improvement? Idk haha. I know its hard but waiting it out is the only way to find out. Have you tried using an Aha? Its been helping me out in the meantime

Hey, thanks for replying - not only on my post, but for being helpful and commenting on others. I have not used Aha, what is that? 

Are you on Yaz? 

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 11/07/2015 12:50 am

Update (second month, week 1): No active cysts anymore. But I still have skin like small bumps all over my cheeks. Sorry it looks so gross. :/ 

12207685_912011558888217_1774197229_n.jpg

Hey, thanks for replying - not only on my post, but for being helpful and commenting on others. I have not used Aha, what is that? 

Are you on Yaz? 

im on the generic version, zarah but ive read some break out from it so my next month ill be on the non generic. Ahas are alpha hydroxy acids. They renew the top layers of skin, acne.org sells one i believe, ole henrikson and paulas choice di as well. There are also bhas that are suppose to work better for acne as they penetrate deeper, but I didnt have any change personally. Ive heard both work wonders for ppl and me personally the aha does a fantastic job with scars