Notifications
Clear all

6 Mnth Of Tane And No Good..whats Next For Hormonal Acne?

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 05/16/2015 5:17 pm

Hi all

Im almost 42 and acne hit at 38

Mild but very persistent

tried otc, rx topicals and antibiotics

Only thing that helped was BP all over am and retin-a at night w/ antibiotics

I would still get 3-5 LARGE surface breakouts (size dime)

just finished 6 mnths of tane and am still getting spots

small rd bumps and prominent whiteheads

Nothing as big as before but getting spots daily

My derm wants to wait 3 week and start topicals

She also rec going back on tane which I wont do

I never had ore than 5 days without a spot..so done

any suggestions

bcp or spiro

kim

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 05/16/2015 8:37 pm

NOOOOOO!!!!!

TANE STILL WORKS AFTER YOU FINISH!! (this is advice for me too!)

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 05/17/2015 2:04 am

Accutane didn't work for me either, not 6 months later, not 1 year later....just made things worse, and I was on for closer to 8 months...it works miracles for most, but it does NOT work for some.

Why not look into photodynamic therapy, if your acne isn't really bad it just may do the trick, not covered by insurance, but work a try- the doctor puts ALA on your face (an acid) then activates with red/blue lights.

What I ended up doing, for cystic acne mind you- was getting at my diet- I kept a journal and ended up completely eliminating dairy and gluten (yes it's hard, but cysts are harder)...and I have a crazy topical routine....that I adjust as I get older.

Good luck to you, again it SUCKS to not have the miracle drug work for you....as the doctors truly don't know what to do for you when this doesn't work...they've all been trained in medical school to give this, then the miracle occurs, check done.....so when it doesn't work, they don't have anything left. To THIS DAY my doctor says diet has no impact on acne....yeah sure, I cheat and eat a piece of bread and I get a cyst.....okay, sure.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 05/17/2015 7:41 am

Thanks

My Dr insists I go back on tane but i refuse

I never went more than 5 day on tane clear...its NOT workng!!!

I have tried a bare bones diet without gluten and dairy and it didnt help either

Tried supplements..zince..D3

the same old drill

Just tried and woke up with a few more spots

Im only a wek or so off tane and am dying ot try topicals to see if it will help but was told again to give my skin some time off tane before i begin

thanks for understanding

kim