Notifications
Clear all

Restarting Yaz & Coming Off Minocycline & Spironolactone

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 01/31/2015 8:31 pm

A year ago, I went off Yaz, which was the only medication I was taking. I basically just wanted to be off all medication. However, my skin freaked out, and I ended up on 100-200 milligrams Minocycline, Retin-A 0.025%, and doses of Spironolactone from 25 milligrams to my most recent 75 milligrams. I finally decided it was stupid to take so many pills when Yaz used to keep me fairly clear, so I am now weaning off everything else and restarting Yaz. It sucks a lot so far.

I started Yaz one month ago. I have decreased my Minocycline dose to 100 milligrams over the past month and will start taking 50 tomorrow for the next two weeks until stopping entirely. I have decreased my Spironolactone dose to 50 milligrams and will start taking 25 soon. I haven't determined when yet. I will start my second pack of Yaz in four days, and all of a sudden, I have a zit on my forehead, one on top of an old red scar on my chin, one on top of an old red scar a little above my mouth, and others gradually forming elsewhere. Overall, it's not what some would call a major breakout. However, I'm already super-frustrated by having to cover up my post-Yaz-stopping hyperpigmentation and scars every day, so these new zits are just adding fuel to the fire. I'm so frustrated. I don't know how to prevent these breakouts, but I know that I need to continue weaning off the other medications. My pimples last at least a month even if I don't mess with them, and I am always left with red marks for a long time afterwards. Sometimes for years. I don't heal well, but there's no way for me to prevent the initial problem. I've been drinking a ton more water and green tea, which I thought was helping, but now I see that it's not. I just feel doomed and frustrated since I can't see a solution to this. I also have a big trip coming up at the end of the month and am so stressed out about having a gross face for it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I never should've gone off Yaz. I never should've gone on antibiotics. Please don't rely on antibiotics for your acne. They are not a viable long-term solution.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/02/2015 1:40 pm

I started the 50 milligrams of Minocycline last night. I have a forehead pimple that will soon surface, I fear, as well as a small one that will soon surface fully beside my mouth. I discovered a deep one on my jawline near the bottom of my chin yesterday, which I stupidly tried to pick today. It broke the skin, and I didn't get anything out. Although it's not in a highly conspicuous place, it makes my chin look like it's lower on one side due to the swelling. I also have another one forming on my jawline, plus one that looks like it's coming up on my cheek. The one that is on top of my old scar doesn't seem to be as bad today, so fingers crossed that it stays that way and just disappears. My whole chin seems like it wants to break out. I wish my skin weren't so sensitive and would allow me to use normal BP or other spot treatments like most people. This hyperpigmentation is also driving me nuts. Once again seeking advice for coming off antibiotics.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/03/2015 4:36 pm

This is a disaster. The pimple on my forehead is surfacing, so it's red and swollen. It's way bigger than it was yesterday. There's a zit on the side of my face that's red and swollen. The one by my mouth is still in the process of surfacing, so it's red and a bit raised. The picked one on my jawline is large, red, and painful, plus there's the broken skin and scab. I am now developing at least three new ones along my jawline as well. I go to the gyno tomorrow to discuss how the Yaz is working for me. I'm going to ask her what else I can do to keep the breakouts away. I'm so tempted to go back to taking lots of Minocycline, but I have to keep reminding myself that weaning is important and necessary. However, I'm skeptical. I don't want to end up back on 200 milligrams of Minocycline, but it sure did do a good job for a while...

I also see an esthetician next week to discuss blue light therapy for the current breakouts, as well as other therapies for the hyperpigmentation and indented scars. I'll keep you posted. Advice, anyone? Support? Whatever you wanna say?

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/04/2015 5:49 pm

Forehead zit is redder and bigger. Side of face is the same. Picked chin/jawline zit is shrinking in terms of swelling, but the redness is worse. Beside my mouth is still about to surface. Potential new issues arising on chin and beside mouth, perhaps on forehead as well. Gynecologist suggested staying on 75 milligrams of Spironolactone in addition to Yaz, but I think I'm going to hold the 50 for now since I really want to wean off fully eventually. If things keep getting worse, I'll go back up to 75. She also suggested that Yasmin might be better for the acne, but she didn't want to switch up too many things as my body is just adjusting to the Yaz and weaning off the Spiro and Mino.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/05/2015 1:15 pm

If I were you I would have stayed on the spiro but upped the dose to 100mg and ditched the pill. spiro is safer to be on long term than the pill. i would take the antibiotic with the spiro and then after a few months then you can slowly wean off of it.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/06/2015 12:23 am

I don't even know what to do anymore. I developed three new zits throughout the day, so I popped the existing forehead one (think it went okay and will diminish over the next several days) and the cheek one (didn't go well and left with a mess) out of frustration. I have a new breakout on my chin, another forehead zit, and one above my mouth on my cheek. Then there's something happening around my nose. And on my jawline. So now I have my existing scars and hyperpigmentation, the new swollen red messes I just created, and all of the other new forming issues. I am going to be a hermit until next week at least. I decided to increase my Minocycline to 100 milligrams again, and I took 150 tonight to jump-start the process. I may end up back on 200 like I used to be...

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/06/2015 9:27 am

Awe sorry to hear that but its ok if you keep taking the mino it should help clear that out. I think 200mg is what works best as well but go with what you feel comfortable with. I spent a lot of years not wanting to take meds but my cystic acne was something that wasn't going to go away no matter what I did so in 2012 I finally started spiro and it has been a godsend for me. My derm wanted me to take it back in 2010 and had I done so at the time I wouldn't have as much scarring as I do now and I would have avoided a lot of heartache. I don't like the idea of having to take this med long term but I am so unbelievably grateful that there is something that finally works for me. This past year has been the first year that I haven't taken antibiotics in a long long time.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/06/2015 12:11 pm

Thank you for the support, Tracy! My derm suggested that I consider a low dose of Accutane. She says she recommends this for people who have acne that has become "antibiotic-dependent." Although I know that many would look at my face and not see a real problem, it is very real to me, and it prevents me from doing a lot of things outside of my home. I love taking walks, but when my skin is broken out, I avoid going outside. I love socializing, but when my skin is broken out, I isolate myself and wait for the storm to pass. It's a real bummer. Stupid BDD and OCD! Today, I'm drinking lots of green tea and water, and I've covered my blemishes with a bit of concealer just so that I don't constantly inspect them or try to pick more. I primarily work from home, so I'm hoping I get some work soon so that I can take my mind off my face! I also have a couple of craft projects in mind to keep me busy!

So onto my next question, if anyone is following this. Has anyone taken a low dose of Accutane for mild acne? Did you experience an initial breakout or other issues? How long did it take to work? What other medications/topicals were you using in the meantime?

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/07/2015 1:28 am

I can't stop squeezing this zit on my cheek because I see a white head, but I can't get anything out. It's a nickel-sized, swollen, beet-red mass. And I have a new cyst forming on my chin. It's so painful. I went so long with decent skin this time around. No major breakouts since late October. But now I'm going off antibiotics and going back on Yaz, and my skin is flipping out. I wish I had never gone off Yaz at all last year. That's when my issues really began. I am back on 200 mg Minocycline. I can't handle this. I wanna check into rehab or something so that I can get skincare, have no stress, and not be around anyone I know. I feel disgusting because I look disgusting. I don't know how to deal with this other than crawling into bed for a month.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/07/2015 8:52 pm

Woke up to the squeezed forehead zit looking better as expected since it was totally ready to pop when I did it. The cheek thing is still swollen, hard, and red, but I think it's slowly improving. Around my mouth is still breaking out, and maybe between my eyebrows. The chin scab is improving, but the hyperpigmentation is going to be terrible, just like it will be on the cheek. Biggest complaint currently? My chin. It's exploding, and it hurts. Along the jawline and a bit under my lip. I'm going to have to not pick anything because I already have a deep red dent in my chin from a bad pimple I had there almost two years ago. (See what I mean about my skin not healing properly?) No more picking. No more picking. Consultation with the esthetician on Tuesday. Visit with the dermatologist on Thursday. I can make it.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/09/2015 1:11 pm

Awe don't worry it will all get better soon enough. You gotta let those antibiotics kick in again and that is a good idea about seeing an esthetician as well. Whatever you do pick one thing that you can do long term and wont be worried about.

Member Customer Service
(@acne-org-support)

Posted : 02/09/2015 3:15 pm

I'm also on Yaz for other medical purposes. It does take several months to be accustomed to the hormonal changes in your body. I used to have few bumps on my skin (I was using Retin A due to moderate acne but it did not completely clear me up) but now I only have one or two showing up right before my period. If your acne is indeed hormonal, then the pill should start working within a few weeks although the progress is not as drastic as accutane or other antibiotics. Oh and BTW do not pick any of your acne since it could get infected and make it worse. It will also make the scars heal a lot longer.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/10/2015 11:38 am

Y'all are awesome for being so supportive. I saw the esthetician for a consultation today, and she put her hands all over my face. I hate it when that happens. Even though she washed them, she touched a million things before she touched my face. Hello! Bacteria! She recommended IPL photorejuvenation for breakouts, broken capillaries, and hyperpigmentation. She also recommended microneedling for some hyperpigmented indentations I have. Both are pretty darn expensive ($250+ per session), so I'm on the fence. I guess I'm waiting to see how the next few months on Yaz go before I make a decision. I also still intend to wean off Minocycline at some point in the near future. Probably Spironolactone eventually, too. And I'm on the fence about low-dose Accutane because I just don't think I can take the initial breakout. Plus, my skin is already terribly dry. I would do Accutane in the summer if I did it at all. The esthetician also gave me a sample of Desonate for this peeling rash on my nose, which I think is caused by overzealous Retin-A application. I wonder how it will work on my other scabs, or even on other pimples that I can see starting to form, particularly on my chin. Has anyone tried Desonate on acne?

Speaking of current skin problems, the picked forehead zit is basically gone now, so hallelujah for that. The picked side of cheek zit is a large red mark with a little bit of peeling, and it has a white ring around it from hydrocortisone application. But it's coverable. The picked chin zit is basically the same as the cheek one. I still have something happening beside my mouth, and now there seems to be a cyst forming smack dab in the center of my chin. Awesome. But the esthetician said not to pick it and to come in for an injection if/when it surfaces, but it may not be big enough to inject after all is said and done. Hoping that it just disappears. And then hyperpigmentation galore! But nothing new and red at this time, so that's a plus.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/16/2015 9:24 am

Ugh. Over the course of the day yesterday, I developed a throbbing, bright red, large mass between my eyebrows. It's a deep blind pimple that's continuing to grow and hurt. I may end up at the derm before the end of the week for a cortisone injection. Anything to stop me from picking it and to have it gone before my big trip at the end of next week. I'm not used to getting blind pimples really. Once a year or so usually. This sucks. I upped my Mino to 150 last night and used Retin-A as usual, Avar-E (sample from the derm), and hydrocortisone. About to wash my face and see how they worked, but I'm guessing not well. I feel the zit aching. After my trip, I'll start the Mino weaning process again...

Oh, and my derm recommended 40 milligrams Accutane for long-term remission. Still unsure. I can't deal with an initial breakout, I'm already prone to anxiety, and my skin is naturally dry.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/16/2015 11:26 pm

I'm flipping out. The Avar-E hasn't helped this giant red welt. I'm scared it has made it worse. If I lightly touch the surface, I can feel how deep it is. No way it will be gone before my trip in a week. I'm waiting until Thursday to get a cortisone shot if I think it's still necessary at that time. I will be left with another large, red, hyperpigmented area regardless of what I do, and those never go away on me. I have remaining hyperpigmentation from two years ago. My mouth is breaking out, and my chin is, too. When I first went on Yaz all those years ago, I didn't have an initial breakout. I need this to stop. Now.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/17/2015 10:23 am

dont worry it will be ok. it just takes time to kick in. if you get desperate ask for the keflex. that stuff is strong and should really help clear up those bumps. also for hyperpigmentation get ipl or v-beam. my dark marks never go away either but i have been getting ipls for years and it always get rid of those.

also what are you using on your skin? you try the regimen yet? if not i would do that and also add an AHA as well. that will help a lot too.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/17/2015 11:51 pm

You rock, Tracy. I'm thinking I'll go in for the cortisone shot Thursday. I use Retin-A 0.025% every night. Also Avar-E on the cyst right now. Still getting new bumps.

Tell me about your IPL experiences. They recommended a partial IPL for me on the bottom half of my face, although now it seems like I will need a full. Did it help with active acne or just hyperpigmentation? Also, how sensitive is your skin? What was the down time?

Attaching a picture of the cyst. You can't see how far it protrudes and how swollen it is here, but it gives an idea of the surface area and redness, even though I haven't touched it at all.

post-101897-0-63031400-1424235070_thumb.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/18/2015 10:14 am

yeah good idea on the cortisone shot. just make sure its diluted so you dont have to worry about an indent. thats good you are using retin-a. that should help your skin but it takes time and there is often a purging period as well for at least a few months but the antibiotics should be catching some of that. the one you are on might not be working anymore. i would mention that to your derm and see if they think you should stay on the minocin or try something else.

with ipl they only zap the pigmented areas on your face so just those marks will be zapped and all the rest of your face wont be touched. i've been doing them for so long probably since 2006 so i've had tons of them -ha! when i first started to get ipl's the lady that did them hit my red marks and then changed settings to zap any active spots on my face. it did help them go away but i dont know what setting she did it on. i have gone to 3 other places to have ipl's and never had them touch any of my active spots since then with the machine. i will say for it to work you need to have each spot zapped at least 3 times but the one place i went zapped each spot 10 times and the results were amazing. they usually will up the intensity each time as well. the one thing i can say with ipl is the more you have it done the less it bothers your skin. my skin is pretty sensitive and it just got used to it. your skin will be red and burn for about an hour or so afterwards and then thats it. sometimes you do get swelling on the zapped areas but that goes away in a few days. i usually take an aleve right after the procedure. the red marks will start to fade right away and you should see the full result in a week or so. the brown marks will get darker and flake off in about 3-5 days. i really dont think there is any downtime to ipl because you can put makeup on right after the procedure and go about your day. most of the time i get them done on my lunch break because it only takes about 10-15 minutes.

i think most places make you stop using any acne products for a few days before your procedure and you must not spend any time in the sun before you get it done as well. its easier for the machine to pick up those darker marks when you arent tan or anything. most times they wont even do it in the summer unless they are just zapping a few spots.

one thing to note is that you should do your research and pick a reputable place that does ipl's all the time. also if you are worried at all have them do a test spot one day and then wait a day or so and go back and get the ipl. that way you know how your skin is going to react. if you ever want to pm me i am always here for you. i've had many different procedures done so i can tell you what works and what doesnt. sending you hugs

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/18/2015 1:54 pm

You're the best. I may wait until Friday because there's a good chance I'll have another zit that needs an injection by that time. The area beside my mouth is starting to act up. So is my chin. Thanks so much for the info on the IPLs. So glad to hear that there's minimal down time. Do you have to use a heavy-duty makeup to cover the redness and swelling? Do you think only concealer (and not foundation) would suffice? I usually only wear concealer on a daily basis.

The goal is to go off antibiotics and rely on Yaz, like I used to. Yaz always kept me pretty darn clear on its own until I went off of it. So I'm trying to wean off everything else except Yaz. I've been on Retin-A for over a year now. It's improved my skin texture and eliminated a lot of wrinkles, which is awesome, but I still get random breakouts, even when I'm on Minocycline, Spironolactone, Retin-A, and Yaz. So the dermatologist is really encouraging Accutane, but I just don't know about that...

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/18/2015 2:41 pm

that is a good idea to wait till friday in case anything pops up. when my acne was bad i was at the derm every week for months to get injections. it was so annoying and awful to have such painful cysts and then have to constantly get them injected. nobody i knew understood the hell i went through during that time.

you are welcome on the ipl info. you dont have to use a heavy duty makeup to cover the redness and swelling. concealer will work just fine. the marks are only more red right after you get it done. you might not even get any swelling it all depends on how many times they zap the spot and the intensity. the first 2 places i got ipl's i never got swelling afterwards. if you do get swelling though a few aleve helps a ton with that.

so the retin-a works pretty well for you then? i found for me it just aggravated my acne but when i used differin it didnt do that. it seemed to help my acne but retinoids in general juts make me so dry and red and peely that my skin just never gets used to them. i find for me at least using glycolic acid works so much better for exfoliation. i guess if the acne is really starting to bother you a lower dose accutane could be a thought. i was going to take it myself but cleared up right before i was about to start (thank god) but if i started breaking out again i would have to consider taking it at some point. its tough all the women i know that have taken it have had their acne come back.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/18/2015 8:44 pm

So good to know about the concealer. Yeah, the Retin-A was kind of a nightmare at first, but I built my way up to using it nightly. I don't know that it's necessarily helped with pimples or red marks, and sometimes I think it makes the red marks worse, but it really has improved my skin texture. That's why I keep using it. Those wrinkles have really diminished. I'm almost 26, but I get mistaken for a high school senior or college student pretty much every day. To me, that makes it worth it! I can cover up red marks with concealer or get IPLs, and those things are harmless. Botox is dangerous, so I won't ever get Botox. Thus, Retin-A is the best answer for my wrinkles! I seriously hope that my breakouts disappear before I am scheduled to start Accutane. I have one more month before that time. I'm on my second month of Yaz now, so the start of Accutane with coincide with the third month of Yaz. And I intend to start weaning off antibiotics again after my trip next week, so I'm really hopeful that the Yaz will kick in!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/19/2015 9:10 am

thats so great that it improved your skin texture. great news!! just so you know botox is not dangerous at all. its actually very useful for other things even besides wrinkles. i've heard great success stories of it being used for bad headaches and depression. i've had botox twice about 5 years ago and it was great it smooths out the skin very nicely but the trick is just to get a little bit of it done. i dont have to bother with that stuff anymore after having many last treatments i barely have any wrinkles. i guess one good thing came out this scarring -ha ha!!

i hope that you clear up soon too and that the accutane will do the trick for you along with the yaz. just stay positive and try not to stress too much about it. i found for me that the more i stressed out about it the worse my breakouts got.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/19/2015 6:35 pm

You're so right! The stress makes the breakouts worse! I was lucky that I didn't have to go anywhere today, so I ended up having a makeup-free day of relaxation. Lots of hot tea and self-care. The welt has actually gone down significantly. It's almost gone! The problem is that I have no idea what made it go away. Increasing my water intake, increasing my Minocycline, using the Avar-E, using hydrocortisone? It could've been any one of those things or a combination of some of them. But something worked well! The spot beside my mouth has a tiny white head that's only apparent if I press my tongue on the inside of my cheek underneath it. It's a little swollen, but I'm making myself not pop it because I know how crazy my skin is. If I mess with it, it may not even pop, and then I'll just have a big red mess. It seems like it would pop easily, but I'm scared to risk it. I hope I stay strong and don't touch it! There may be something else forming on my forehead, but I'm going to keep using these products to try and prevent it from surfacing. However, I've felt so gross over the past few days ever since I increased my Minocycline, so I'm going back down to 100 milligrams tonight.

MemberMember
(@just-call-me-ocd)

Posted : 02/21/2015 10:14 pm

I'm back down to 100 milligrams of Minocycline now. Then in about a week and a half, I'll be down to 50 milligrams. I'm dreading it so much. My chin is breaking out, I feel like something's happening on my forehead and beside my mouth, and I'm super-frustrated by the red marks I have from recent breakouts. I'm considering IPLs, but I've also read lots of horror stories. Since my skin is so sensitive, I'm really terrified. I mean, it's so sensitive that if I scratch my face lightly when it itches, I'll have a red mark there for 24 hours. Which is why my hyperpigmentation is so long-lasting. And Accutane... I can't take an initial breakout. I just can't. If I knew it wouldn't happen, I'd go right on Accutane. But it's probably going to happen. So I'm thinking no. Trip in less than a week...

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/22/2015 11:20 am

Why are you stopping the mino? I would stay on it for a while until the yaz kicks in and then slowly wean off.

With any procedure there can be issues because there are people doing it that arent qualified so just go to a reputable place to get the ipl. Its so easy there really is nothing to worry about. Find a good place and go get a test spot done. My skin is like that too. Lol!

Take care!